John "Mango Man" Cruz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John "Mango Man" Cruz

Those who frequent Kailua are familiar with the homeless man with long dreadlocks who is known as Mango Man. We haven't seen Mango Man in a couple weeks - earlier this week a coworker and I were saying, "Hmm, haven't seen Mango Man in awhile." This morning I discovered that there is a rumor going around Kailua town that he was hit by a car a couple weeks ago. Whoever hit him thought he was dead, so they threw his body in a dumpster! Someone found him the following morning and he's now at Castle Hospital recuperating. The woman I spoke with did not know the extent of his injuries, nor did she know if there is a criminal investigation pending.

I know folks on HT are uber-connected; does anyone have any information about this alleged act or the condition of Mango Man?

Re: What can we do to help the homeless?

I know Mango Man and have bought him Safeway sandwiches on occasion. The first time, he thanked me graciously in a perfectly normal voice, which kind of surprised me.

But what I want to know is, how could anyone physically "throw him" in a Dumpster? He's a big guy!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
      I know Mango Man and have bought him Safeway sandwiches on occasion.
      Same here, Maddie. And I too hope that he's okay.
      Friends at the Kailua police station told me that he's ex-military and that he's never once caused them any problem, even though he looks intimidating and, as you said, he's a big guy.
      I occasionally see him in Kaneohe too.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
        Same here, Maddie. And I too hope that he's okay.
        Friends at the Kailua police station told me that he's ex-military and that he's never once caused them any problem, even though he looks intimidating and, as you said, he's a big guy.
        I occasionally see him in Kaneohe too.
        I don't know if this is urban legend, but I was told he IS indeed, a military vet and that his sister/other family members have tried repeatedly to house him/help him ... but that he didn't want help.

If it's true he was hit by a car, I'm very sorry and hope he recovers -- and that more people are as generous and merciful to him as Maddie and Lika have been.
        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

If Mango Man is a vet, more than likely he's a vet from Vietnam and more than likely he's suffering from PTSS. We have many many homeless men up here like him who live outdoors and who also rely on the kindness of strangers. Too bad we couldn't help them and welcome them home with open arms when they first came back from Vietnam. I'm trying to be optimistic that today's returning soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan are getting all the emotional counseling they need to make that tough transition back to the real world.

Miulang
          Last edited by Miulang; April 13, 2006, 12:47 PM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
            But what I want to know is, how could anyone physically "throw him" in a Dumpster? He's a big guy!
            I thought the same thing! The Dumpster part sounds urban legend-ish to me, but I just spoke with someone over my lunch break who confirmed that he did get hit by a car.

I had no idea he's a military vet.

I live and work in Kailua and would see Mango Man on a daily basis and occasionally buy him food from Down to Earth. I hope he recovers soon.

Comment

"Mango Man" is make

John "Mango Man" Cruz, supposedly a Vietnam vet with issues, and who was a familiar sight on Kailua streets for the last couple of decades with his tattered Army jacket and long dreadlocks, died last week. He was the victim of a hit-and-run.
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Re: "Mango Man" is make

Ai-yah.

Comment

Damn. What a shame.
                  Thanks for checking that story for us, Burl.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

That is messed up.

Any truth to the rumor that he was thrown in a dumpster following the incident?

Comment

Re: John "Mango Man" Cruz

I've spoken with him over the past few years a few times and a very pleasant man is he. He lived this way by his choice, be it brought on by previous trauma or whatnot. I hope he's okay.
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941
                        John "Mango Man" Cruz, supposedly a Vietnam vet with issues, and who was a familiar sight on Kailua streets for the last couple of decades with his tattered Army jacket and long dreadlocks, died last week. He was the victim of a hit-and-run.
                        Sorry to hear this.

Growing up in Kaneohe, we frequently saw "Mango Man" at various locations along Kamehameha hwy. Sometimes he'd be seen along Likelike Hwy. walking towards town.

"Mango Man" is an obvious derogatory nickname probably made up by a bunch of kids because of his appearance. But I've never heard of anyone getting into a confrontation of any kind with him. I once gave him some fast food at a bus stop and he was very appreciative with a nod of happy approval in return. He was very TALL indeed, usually wearing a camouflage jacket, dark long pants and dark shades.

I'm sure Mr. Cruz is in a much better place now. Deepest sympathy to his family. Rest in peace.
                        Last edited by Pomai; April 24, 2006, 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

When he lived up the coast, Cruz was known as the "Kaneohe Walker."

The word is that he was struck by a car and suffered a broken leg. He refused help, and the bone splintered over the next couple of days, causing massive internal trauma to the limb. Finally taken to the hospital, the limb was taken off, but it was too late and he died.

I got this from a store owner who often talked to him. They often discussed Vietnam.

Cruz was intimidating looking -- all that dreadlock! -- but spoke perfectly normally, if a little reserved, the times I bumped into him. He knew he was odd but didn't much care.

Of course, one of my kids today heard that Cruz actually pulled through. Either way, he was a tough old bird.
                          Last edited by buzz1941; April 24, 2006, 11:25 PM.
                          Burl Burlingame
                          "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Oh He died, I'm very sorry. He'll be missed by many people that knew him and all the bystanders that just knew of him.
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Oh my goodness. He passed away? Like Pomai, I remember him roaming Kaneohe since the mid 70's.

My condolensces to his family.

Comment

Working...
                              X