Big Island Citizens for Better Government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Island Citizens for Better Government

The group met last night to discuss forming a 501 c3 corporation and to hear from various committee chairs about progress of each group.

As momentum builds, and the core of 40-50 people start to see that we have a committed group, I'm optimistic that we can put some pressure on the Hilo cabal.

Kona's needs range from overpasses to affordable dwellings.

It is noteworthy that wise Mr. Paris commented that years ago, when the Queen K highway was getting built, he and a small group of Kona residents were in favor of an overpass at Palani Road. Of course, the chorus of NO killed that idea. And now, 25 years later, everybody wishes we had an overpass at Palani Road. Funny how things come full circle.

Wherever you build a stoplight, inevitably, in 20 years you will wish you had built an overpass. Thats just the way things really are.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Re: Big Island Citizens for Better Government

Originally posted by timkona
    The group met last night to discuss forming a 501 c3 corporation and to hear from various committee chairs about progress of each group.

As momentum builds, and the core of 40-50 people start to see that we have a committed group, I'm optimistic that we can put some pressure on the Hilo cabal.

Kona's needs range from overpasses to affordable dwellings.
    Good luck with that. Many in the "Hilo cabal" believe that Kona is too far gone to try to do anything other than extract tax dollars from the folks that live there and use it as a place to dump trash from East Hawai'i. I won't say anything about Angel Pilago and Pete Hoffman....
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

I'm not a lawyer, but you may want to be careful of forming a 501-c(3) for what seems to be a purely political purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by poinographer
        I'm not a lawyer, but you may want to be careful of forming a 501-c(3) for what seems to be a purely political purpose.
        Actually as far as I understood from the discussion last night, if your group
        is un bias in supporting candidates and purely is just a group educating voters
        like the League of Women Voters we should be okay.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
          Good luck with that. Many in the "Hilo cabal" believe that Kona is too far gone to try to do anything other than extract tax dollars from the folks that live there and use it as a place to dump trash from East Hawai'i. I won't say anything about Angel Pilago and Pete Hoffman....
          Well as long as I'm living here, I'm going to be very vocal in turning this tide
          of East Hawaii screwing West Hawaii. As I've seen the song dances done by
          the county and its simply not right.

On positive note, Tim mentioned this forum in his presentation last night.
          So there may new members signing up.
          Last edited by Aaron S; April 25, 2006, 03:36 PM.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Well at least you guys got Costco and KMart over dea
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              Well at least you guys got Costco and KMart over dea
              Frankly I'd take having better roads here in West hawaii than having Costco and
              Kmart anyday. It is really frustrating being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                Frankly I'd take having better roads here in West hawaii than having Costco and
                Kmart anyday. It is really frustrating being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.
                One can alway move to the Hilo side, like I did. Traffic usually flows quite well here.

As someone that was born and raised in Kona, I'm somewhat sympathetic to the issues and problems facing the residents there. However, after living in Hilo and Puna (where the majority of the Big Island's registered voters reside), I've realized that it's an uphill battle to improve things in Kona.

Comment

One can alway move to the Hilo side, like I did. Traffic usually flows quite well here.

As someone that was born and raised in Kona, I'm somewhat sympathetic to the issues and problems facing the residents there. However, after living in Hilo and Puna (where the majority of the Big Island's registered voters reside), I've realized that it's an uphill battle to improve things in Kona.
                  Nope, nada, nil.Over my dead body I'd move to Hilo. It is nice to visit, but
                  no way in hell I'd like to live over there. Rains too much, no jobs etc.

To be frank not just Kona has infrastructure woes. Waimea and Puna have
                  lots of infrastructure shortcomings also. That being said, even if it is uphill
                  battle, we can still win the war if more people become vocal about the issues.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

I think Hilo is great. I got a condo there that we just love. We walk in the garden on Banyan all the time.....and i love the big giant lake in the middle...with the ducks and the humpy bridge....and downtown Hilo is cool....olskul smartgrowth...and what about the mall, the surplus store, the kitchen store downtown by the old theatre.....and what about watchin flag football by the bandstand near the bus stop....the university...the JAC....

my homes in south kona but yeah man...i love hilo.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                      I think Hilo is great. I got a condo there that we just love. We walk in the garden on Banyan all the time.....and i love the big giant lake in the middle...with the ducks and the humpy bridge....and downtown Hilo is cool....olskul smartgrowth...and what about the mall, the surplus store, the kitchen store downtown by the old theatre.....and what about watchin flag football by the bandstand near the bus stop....the university...the JAC....

my homes in south kona but yeah man...i love hilo.
                      Um, I sure hope you're not in that condo when a tsunami hits. Isn't it in the area where the tsunami hit in the 40's (I think) and killed all those people?

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                        Nope, nada, nil.Over my dead body I'd move to Hilo. It is nice to visit, but
                        no way in hell I'd like to live over there. Rains too much, no jobs etc.

To be frank not just Kona has infrastructure woes. Waimea and Puna have
                        lots of infrastructure shortcomings also. That being said, even if it is uphill
                        battle, we can still win the war if more people become vocal about the issues.
                        Hopefully, "Big Island Citizens for Better Government" will be more effective than "Citizens for Equitable and Responsible Government" (CERG), another group that's also spearheaded by folks from Kona. CERG's strategy of challenging the legality of the 2001 redistricting of Hawai'i County is quite interesting and I'm surprised that it's managed to progress, considering CERG's limited funds. Simply being vocal about the issues is not enough, because the folks on Aupuni Street are used to dealing with "Kona complainers" and aren't directly accountable to them.

The situation in Puna is somewhat less critical than that of Kona. In terms of infrastructure (especially roads, water, and electricity), it's pretty much "bring your own." However, due to its massive influx of new residents (and voters) and its promixity to Hilo, the needs of the folks in Puna will probably be dealt with before those of the folks in Kona. Kona's relatively high number of non-resident property owners (combined with its lack of affordable housing) will probably continue to limit the influence of its residents on the policymakers in Hilo.

Comment

Hopefully, "Big Island Citizens for Better Government" will be more effective than "Citizens for Equitable and Responsible Government" (CERG), another group that's also spearheaded by folks from Kona. CERG's strategy of challenging the legality of the 2001 redistricting of Hawai'i County is quite interesting and I'm surprised that it's managed to progress, considering CERG's limited funds.
                          http://aaronstene.blogspot.com/2006/...othe-ussc.html
                          http://aaronstene.blogspot.com/2006/...ng-appeal.html

Simply being vocal about the issues is not enough, because the folks on Aupuni Street are used to dealing with "Kona complainers" and aren't directly accountable to them. (
                          Well doing nothing at all is far worse scenario. Yes they probably won't listen,
                          but sitting on your duff and doing nothing will definately not do anything.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Instead of looking at East Hawaii as the opponent maybe all of Hawaii Island should look at themselves as one entity.

I believe as the demographics change on this island a more "all-inclusive" attitude will arise. If that cannot happen because of the sheer distances between the two major ports of call then I think separate counties should be considered. If Hilo doesn't like that (because of the lack of taxes collected) that's our problem and East Hawaii has to recognize that it's economy will stagnate if it doesn't gear up.

And Aaron like you my beloved Honolulu was getting out of control with development and traffic. Instead of adding to it by staying and being part of the problem, I left and became part of the solution...migrating out of that hell hole. Yes like Kona, Honolulu had jobs up the wazoo but the quality of life wasn't worth the paycheck.

Moving to a more rural and peaceful environment has done wonders to my health and to the quality of life overall not only to me but to my family. Yes the job market isn't quite like Kona, but there still is a strong retail market here in Hilo. Yes the wages aren't like Kona but the cost of living is far cheaper here than in Kona so you really don't have to earn as much to live a really pleasant way of life.

Keaau where I live is very diversified with more ethnicities than in typically Nihongonese Hilo. Mostly Haole and lotsa Reggae but a good mix of Filipino, Hawaiian, Japanese (heck there's a Dojo here in Keaau). The Makuu and Keaau Farmer's market has produce that is by far cheaper and better than in KTA!

One thing about lower Puna/Keaau/Pahoa is that we're so far removed from Hilo that we don't consider ourselves a part of that cronyism. Puna is the crossroads between East and West much like Hamakua/Waimea. The difference is that we don't experience the kind of traffic woes that Waimea is currently having plus the Pahoa Highway is slated for expansion to alleviate the further growth of this increasingly popular area...ummmm how's Kona doing?
                            Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 27, 2006, 08:42 AM.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Instead of looking at East Hawaii as the opponent maybe all of Hawaii Island should look at themselves as one entity.
                              Doubtful that will happen. As let the facts be shown, East Hawaii considers West Hawaii its cash cow. 41% of the property tax revenue comes from
                              Four Seasons,Waikoloa,Mauna Lani, and Mauna Kea resort areas. 70%
                              of the overall property taxes come from West Hawaii. Which funds 50%
                              of the overall yearly county budget. In other words, the county is more than willing to allow development here without adequate infrastructure.It is simply the county's M.O for years to do this.

I believe as the demographics change on this island a more "all-inclusive" attitude will arise.
                              Even more doubtful, with the influx of new residents here in West Hawaii
                              from the mainland. Even when my parents moved in 1973, my mom was
                              shocked that the county seat was in Hilo. As she was used to individual towns having their own governments.

And Aaron like you my beloved Honolulu was getting out of control with development and traffic. Instead of adding to it by staying and being part of the problem, I left and became part of the solution...migrating out of that hell hole. Yes like Kona, Honolulu had jobs up the wazoo but the quality of life wasn't worth the paycheck.
                              Simply put I hate the Hilo rain. I simply cannot stand it one bit. That is
                              the primary reason why I would never move to Hilo. On top that there
                              is not that many good jobs over in Hilo, unless you consider Wal-Mart
                              a good job

Yes the wages aren't like Kona but the cost of living is far cheaper here than in Kona so you really don't have to earn as much to live a really pleasant way of life.
                              Well it does help that I can live with my parents for reduced rent..Another
                              reason why moving to Hilo is not in the cards. When they move to Ka'u in
                              1 1/2 years I'll have a house all to myself here.

The difference is that we don't experience the kind of traffic woes that Waimea is currently having plus the Pahoa Highway is slated for expansion to alleviate the further growth of this increasingly popular area...ummmm how's Kona doing?
                              Yes, especially the state is finally addressing the infrastructure woes here in Kona. They are finally widening Queen Kaahumanu Highway from Henry Street
                              to Kealakehe Parkway (and eventually to the airport) to four lanes. There is
                              other potential roads in pipeline like the Hokulia Bypass and Alii Parkway...
                              but those are tied up in bureaucracy and litigation. But from my view, it is
                              comming too late, it will be years, if ever, we'll have any relief.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X