Any Comicbook Collectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Comicbook Collectors?

When I was a child, I would read these books for hours on rainy days in Hilo.
    Back then you could 5 thick comicbooks(@ .20)each for a buck. Boy have times changed! I recently saw a(skinny) graphic novel for $19.00.

When I think about it I must have quit collecting when the price went to about $2.00. it's sad that the only way my child can enjoy the superheros of our past,is to read my old collection.

I was always more of Marvel fan than DC. Spiderman, The Hulk and the X-men are my favorites. It really angers me when these "heroes' are retooled for the modern world. They have a history, leave it alone and make the movies good!

Trivia ..... What does DC stand for?
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Any Comicbook Collectors?

Originally posted by alohabear
    When I was a child, I would read these books for hours on rainy days in Hilo.
    Back then you could 5 thick comicbooks(@ .20)each for a buck. Boy have times changed! I recently saw a(skinny) graphic novel for $19.00.

When I think about it I must have quit collecting when the price went to about $2.00. it's sad that the only way my child can enjoy the superheros of our past,is to read my old collection.

I was always more of Marvel fan than DC. Spiderman, The Hulk and the X-men are my favorites. It really angers me when these "heroes' are retooled for the modern world. They have a history, leave it alone and make the movies good!

Trivia ..... What does DC stand for?
    I used to love reading both marvel and DC comics. My favorites were of course spider man, Xmen, Hulk, Apocolypse, Silver Surfer, Punisher, Superman, Batman, green lantern. Because of these characters I use to try and draw them and than I made my own and envisioned an empire that never happened, but allowed me to dream. I remember back in the good old days when they weren't a dollar yet, I used to by plenty books but when the prices raised from one dollar to three dollars I quit collecting them. DC stands for Detective Comics by the way.
    A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
      DC stands for Detective Comics by the way.
      Wrong! Try again I found this answer on Jeopardy. They said It started as Diamond Comics , THEN changed to Detective.
      Last edited by alohabear; April 27, 2006, 11:13 AM.

Flickr

Comment

golden age comics. only

Comment

My generation is the Silver Age. I also love Alan Moore books and art by Miller.

Flickr

Comment

Currently reading:
            Supreme Power (JMS)
            Usagi Yojimbo
            Several X-Men books
            All-Star Superman (Morrison)
            Identity Crisis

Faves:
            Doom Patrol (Morrison)
            Animal Man (Morrison)
            Sandman (Gaiman)
            Miracle Man (Moore & Gaiman)
            Marvels (Busiek/Ross)
            X-Men (Claremont & Byrne)
            Starman (James Robinson)
            Kingdom Come (Waid/Ross)
            Batman Year One (Miller)
            Daredevil (Frank Miller)
            Fantastic Four (Byrne)
            Thor (Simonson)
            Hulk (Peter David)
            Flash (Waid)

Not my faves but I like regardless:
            Concrete
            Zot
            Powers
            Fables
            Swamp Thing (Alan Moore)
            Iron Man (Bob Layton)
            Teen Titans (Wolfman/Perez)
            Avengers (George Perez)
            Micronauts (first series)
            ROM (first series)
            Spiderman (drawn by John Romita)
            JLA (Morrison)
            Last edited by jkpescador; April 27, 2006, 12:18 PM.
            just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

I still have a few comic books in my drawers. My favorites include JLA, Spiderman, Superman, and The Flash. I've got a replica of the first Superman - though probably not worth much.

I also enjoyed reading Archie comic books when I was younger.

Comics nowadays seem very sophisticated. High emphasis on the art work rather than storyline, at least in my opinion.

The Flash is my all-time favorite hero

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                Wrong! Try again I found this answer on Jeopardy. They said It started as Diamond Comics , THEN changed to Detective.

You got me there. I just remember the current stuff but that's interesting to know. And knowing is half the battle.
                A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

My first roommate was a HUGE comic collector. All were in plastic sleeves, organized by title in boxes. There were so many boxes that our apartment was exactly 9 inches shorter in every dimension with boxes stacked to the ceiling in every room except the bathrooms. His father handed down a collection to him.

He had Superman from #3 up. And about 20 titles with EVERY issue since the beginning. He estimated the collection, in 1987, at over $1 million.

He spent about $30 a week, sometimes more, back when comics were $2 or less.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Collected between 1976 to about 1994 or so. Sort of gave up since I had no room to stash the comics I had purchased and I wasn't really re-reading old issues.

Titles that I read were Superman, Justice League, The Avengers, Fanastic Four, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Star Trek, X-Men, Green Lantern, Flash and other titles that come and go.

Comment

I only collect Teen Titans comics since it's all I've ever been really into. Got all the 60s issues and most of the first and second series that came out in the 80s. I don't get the issues now but I get the TPBs.
                      myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

How come if you buy comics, you're called a comic book collector? I mean, you don't usually hear people being called "DVD collectors" if they own some DVDs, or "book collectors" if they have books in the house. I don't buy comics to collect, I buy them to read.

What have I read recently? Well, off the top of my head: Usagi Yojimbo, Powers, Love & Rockets, Hellboy, BPRD, Astro City, Grendel, Girl Genius, Planetary, Arrowsmith, Bone, Strangers in Paradise, Age of Bronze, Jack Staff, Leave It To Chance, Sandman, and Lucifer.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                          How come if you buy comics, you're called a comic book collector? I mean, you don't usually hear people being called "DVD collectors" if they own some DVDs, or "book collectors" if they have books in the house.
                          cuz most people are dvd consumers,
                          but
                          Most people are not comic book buyers.
                          Comic book buyers have a general rep for collecting and trading. Not so with dvds.

the query that bugs da back of my mind is:
                          WHY are the called 'comic' books?
                          they are neither books, nor comical.
                          by and large the content is fantastical or fantasy or crime.
                          aand generally they resemble magazines more than books.

Comment

Originally posted by kupomog
                            I only collect Teen Titans comics since it's all I've ever been really into. Got all the 60s issues and most of the first and second series that came out in the 80s. I don't get the issues now but I get the TPBs.
                            Have you ever read the X-men/ Teen Titans crossover? great story and art. Crossovers are cool when done right. Another cool one is the Judge Dread/ Batman story.

Flickr

Comment

Anyone know of good sites to keep up with what's going on in comics?

I was thumbing through Y The Last Man wondering if I should buy the TPB.
                              just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Working...
                              X