Waiawa - Honolulu's next suburb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiawa - Honolulu's next suburb?

Alexander & Baldwin is teaming up with Gentry on the long-proposed Waiawa housing development, on the land between Pearl City and Mililani Mauka.

Re: Waiawa - Honolulu's next suburb?

Oh dear...so much for any non-traffic time at all.

Comment

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but maps of proposed developments aren't that easy to come by. Here's the best one I could find so far. Note that Waiawa is only one of three big proposed projects in Central O'ahu, the other two being Koa Ridge Mauka and Koa Ridge Makai.

(From http://starbulletin.com/2001/09/02/news/story2.html)

Comment

I've been watching these planned developments for a while. As the Ewa plains are overbuilt, it's obvious that things would spill over again to Central Oahu. Of course the Mililani/Wahiawa folks are concerned, since for some time they've (well, I should say 'we've' as I'm in Mililani) benefitted from being considered "way out there" and essentially had H-2 all to themselves.

I remember when just the Mauka half of Mililani started coming up. Those empty pineapple fields were favorite stomping grounds of mine. Of course, Mililani itself is young enough that some of my neighbors remember when Mililani Town was all empty fields, too! I'm sure lots of Mililani Town folks resented the addition of Mauka, too. All that extra traffic! Stealing our offramp!

But, well, a lot of the people that will decry the overdevelopment and overcrowding of Honolulu or Hawaii have the luxury of already securing their own piece of home. For everyone who hates news of yet another residential community, there are easily five people who (probably secretly, by neccessity) hope that it might be their chance at home ownership.

Hey, if people keep having babies, and people continue to love Hawaii for all its warts, people will continue build places to live and work. You either build out to preserve the view, or up to preserve space. I have to admit, on this point our dear Tim makes sense.

Of course, I'm certain there's a tipping point where traffic, water, noise, crime, pollution, and other elements will finally limit the appeal of Hawaii as a home (people will always make babies, however), and it's probably closer than anyone thinks.

But... if I never realize my dream of following Craig to rural peace and happiness on the Big Island, I have to admit that if I had a decent shot at an "affordable" $250,000 home in Waiawa or Koa Ridge, I might take it.

Looking at the map (thanks, Glen!), Waiawa seems more an extension of an existing development, yes? I'm wondering if its the area across the valley at the end of Ka Uka Boulevard. Since I was a kid I've been intrigued by the stub of a bridge there, where you turn right and then take a sharp left toward the cemetary when exiting H-2.
        Last edited by pzarquon; April 27, 2006, 02:16 PM. Reason: Adding link to "stub."

Comment

That particular graphic may be a little misleading. The dark gray area marked "Waiawa" is just Castle & Cooke's Waiawa project. And the green area also marked "Waiawa"? That's Gentry's Waiawa project, the one that A&B just joined up with. On that graphic it looks like it's already been built, but it hasn't yet.

Comment

We better start building condos and other high rise buildings out west, or else we'll loose a lot of land to single family houses.

Remember, this is an island, and unless we're willing to throw a hook onto our neighboring islands and put them towards us, then we can't make land for living.

Plus, we have to think about the homelessness problem, and where/how we'll dispose of our waste since there'll be more people coming onto this land. Don't forget about transportation: the H2 will soon be the second H1, with thousands of people jamming to work every morning, and the same thing when pau hana time comes.

IMO, we should look at what we have right now, and see what we can do to improve it: make it more pleasant to live here, rather than bringing in new people who'll just add to the problem.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
              IMO, we should look at what we have right now, and see what we can do to improve it: make it more pleasant to live here, rather than bringing in new people who'll just add to the problem.
              Well, obviously people from outside Hawaii moving here or just buying property here for investment purposes are a big piece of the puzzle, but the people "we have right now" are "bringing in new people" too, by virtue of the wonder of reproduction.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                Well, obviously people from outside Hawaii moving here or just buying property here for investment purposes are a big piece of the puzzle, but the people "we have right now" are "bringing in new people" too, by virtue of the wonder of reproduction.
                It justs amazes me, that the hospitals that served us 50+ years ago can still serve us today. By now, you think there'd be atleast two major hospitals on the leeward side, but everyone either has St Francis West, or Queens/Kapiolani/Kuakini.

And I don't know about the population @ UH, but when will they start building the new UH West Oahu? (sorry for going a bit OT here.)
                How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                X