Schools and Medical care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schools and Medical care?

Ok so I see there are 1000 questions about moving to Hawaii.
    I have been doing my research and we have decided to move to Oahu in a year. We are selling our home and will have a down payment covered and my husband will be able to make more an hour to compensate for higher living expenses.
    My husband has MS and desperately needs a warmer climate than Oregon and we love the more accepting caring attitude in Hawaii and want our 3 little boys to experience that growing up before Dad gets too sick.
    We did really get off the touristy beaten path when we were there and went all over the quieter areas of Hawaii. What a beautiful place and so much diversity.

Here is one concern. We are a very respectful and loving family and concentrate on our family alot. I am concerned that in the schools my children may not be so accepted. I know as a family we will be respectful and I am not worried about that but Can anyone give me any idea of how the schools are? Is it possible for my kids to be looked down on a teased because they are from Oregon and not more familiar with the culture of Hawaii? My children are 2,3 and 10. They are polite and clean, nice kids though. I want to make sure they will be safe and happy as well as us.

Also one more concern: Since my husband does have MS will I be able to find medical care in Oahu? I have been trying to research this but can't find the right information. In Oregon if we can't find care we drive to any neighboring state, but in Oahu that won't be as easy of an option.

So if anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated!!! (: Thanks so much.
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Re: Schools and Medical care?

Your best bet re finding out about resources available for MS patients on Oahu would be to contact the Hawai'i Chapter of the Multiple Sclerosis Society.

Much has already been said in other threads about the public school system and its quality.

Good luck with your research and welcome to HT.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

My husband died of ALS in 1997. Our Local Muscular Dystrophy Association 1221 Kapiolani Blvd. Suite 220 Ph: 808 593-4494 as well as all other Illnesss and Diseases have Support Groups for families of those afflicted.

As far as your children being treated right. Like any other State, community or neighborhood...we have our good and bad. If you're talking because you are from Oregon, I have faith in the children of our aina to show Aloha.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The babies will benefit from preschool that makes them comfy with their peers before they hit public school. Hopefully some of their classmates will transfer up to Kgarten with them. The 10 year old will be in for some hazing. Racism is quite embedded in the culture here, and as you know, kids are the meanest right around puberty. When you get here, you will learn what it feels like to be on the receiving end.

My experience with racism in Hawaii has made me a much more tolerant person. It's always fascinating when the shoe is on the other foot.

The good news is that if you have some skills and credentials, or your child is a good student, then you will feel like the shark in a minnow pond. The level of achievement by some people from Hawaii, on average, is abysmal. That's why the govt jobs are filled with Asians, and the professional ranks are filled with credentialed folks not likely born here, and the parks are filled with tents that house chronic underachievers and substance abusers.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I know this is about Schools and Medical Care, however Racism was mention.

My son-inlaw is as white as can be. From the Boonies. He has been here since January. He has felt no Racism but only LOVE and Aloha. Not only from our OHANA but the people of Hawai'i!

It amazes him daily of which the friendliness and openeness of our culture and our islands exhibits. Yes, there is Racism. It is present for those whose eyes and minds are always seeking it.

For those like my son-inlaw...only the beauty of our Islands will be seen.

Auntie Lynn

btw: Justin leave for Iraq in Sept. where Racism is known and felt from the enemy. Like my children before him, he and his fellow soldiers are one - AMERICANS!
          Last edited by 1stwahine; April 30, 2006, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Guess I won't worry abut it
            Last edited by blueyecicle; April 30, 2006, 03:17 PM.
            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
            Sharing withother survivors...
            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I give up. Somebody please take over.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Ooops. Nevermind.
                Last edited by Da Rolling Eye; April 30, 2006, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X