Kill Bill, Vol. 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill Bill, Vol. 2

Wonder of wonders, my wife and I made it out today to catch this second half of Quentin Tarantino's most indulgent of cinematic extravaganzas. I don't think I agree with some other reviews that say it stands fine on its own, and I'm not even sure if I think it was better than the first half, but the two volumes taken together definitely a fantastic movie make.

It definitely seemed shorter than Vol. 1, and it was much more linear (versus the time-shifting jumparounds that Q.T. tends to do), but whereas the first half was the blood and gore half of the usual equation, this half had the dialogue we were missing... and more genuine heart that I would have ever thought Q.T. capable of putting on screen.

The best part? You walk out dreaming up how Vol. 3 would go...

Re: Kill Bill, Vol. 2

I SOOO WANT TO SEE THIS MOVIE!! i got the first half at costco the first day and watched it three times already. i liked the anime part, is there any in part two or would that give away too much? hopefully i can go this week before my friends tell me everything that happens first......

Comment

I don't know how long this is going on but The Restaurant Row Theater is showing Kill Bill Volume 1.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Wonder of wonders, my wife and I made it out today to catch this second half of Quentin Tarantino's most indulgent of cinematic extravaganzas. I don't think I agree with some other reviews that say it stands fine on its own

sure, it can stand on its own. the movie does everything that a complete story is supposed to do: introduce characters & settings, explain conflict, denouement. really, you don't even need part one. part one is all gratuitous violence, not essential to the story.
        Fair and Balanced

Comment

Saw both Volume 1 and 2 this week on DVD. The ending of Volume 1 was kind of unexpected. For Volume 2, the initial fight at Buck's trailer, while it set up some plot points later on in the movie, neither side was thinking straight in terms of killing the other side.

Comment

What was that quote that James Carradine said? Something like: Sometimes you can be a real cunt!
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

howzit craig. yup, you got it right.

BILL
              He taught you the ten point palm
              exploding heart technique?

THE BRIDE
              Of course he did.

BILL
              Why didn't you tell me?

She doesn't have an answer.

She looks at him apologetically;

THE BRIDE
              I don't know...Because...I'm
              a...bad person.

He smiles at her duplicitly, and says with blood on his lips;

BILL
              No. You're not a bad person. You're
              a terrific person. You're my
              favorite person. But every once in
              awhile...you can be a real cunt.
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by easTTriver
                sure, it can stand on its own. the movie does everything that a complete story is supposed to do: introduce characters & settings, explain conflict, denouement. really, you don't even need part one. part one is all gratuitous violence, not essential to the story.
                Looks like I'm a year and a quarter late on this one, but if this is what you're thinking, you don't really get Quentin Tarantino. If you cut out the stuff that doesn't advance the plot, you lose at least half of every QT movie ever made except Jackie Brown. QT's films are more about character than plot; more about themselves than about story. I like Roger Ebert's take on a certain popular aspect of QT movies: Tarantino doesn't just give you the hitmen shooting their marks; he gives you the conversations they have in between their hits. He doesn't just show you the bad guys robbing the jewelry store (in fact, he skipped the robbery entirely, even though the entire reason the guys in Reservoir Dogs even know each other is the robbery), he shows them getting dressed and ready for the robbery.

You don't need that Steve Buscemi tirade against leaving tips for waitresses or the John Travolta bit about Big Macs in Europe, but they are what make Tarantino flicks interesting.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Actually it was what they called the Quarter Pounder in France.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                    Actually it was what they called the Quarter Pounder in France.
                    "What do they call Big Mac?"
                    "A Big Mac's a Big Mac, only there they say La Big Mac."
                    "La Big Mac."
                    Last edited by scrivener; September 15, 2005, 09:21 AM. Reason: "Whoa, whoa, whoa, Jamie's cryin' . . ."
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Adding my 2 cents, I LOVED Kill Bill 1 & 2. Quentin is hilarious and if you can get past the gore and violence, you will realize what a great movie maker he is. I just loved the scene when Elle goes to Okinawa and first meets Hattori Hanzo. Sonny Chiba is superb.
                      Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

yup, i loved that scene and you're absolutely right: sony chiba is perfect in that scene!

THE BRIDE (JAPANESE)
                        I need Japanese steel.

SUSHI CHEF (JAPANESE)
                        Why do you need Japanese steel?

THE BRIDE (JAPANESE)
                        I have vermin to kill.

SUSHI CHEF (ENGLISH)
                        You must have big rats you need
                        Hattori Hanzo steel.

THE BRIDE (ENGLISH)
                        Huge!
                        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I just loved the dialogue between Sonny Chiba and his assistant, it was such a funny scene, so intense. Then when Elle says she is looking for Hattori Hanzo, you hear a glass drop in the back. Too perfect.
                          Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

tiptoe, you are sooo right. you can read the entire script here (not exactly as in the movie):

http://sfy.ru/sfy.html?script=kill_bill

Comment

Working...
                            X