Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought Provoking Op-Ed Piece in the SB

http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/30/e...ommentary.html

However, some people use nostalgia as an excuse to oppose any development, whether it's a condo building, a neighborhood or a Wal-Mart being built.

Many of these opponents grew up in Hawaii in the 1950s and 1960s, and they want Hawaii to stay the way they remember it.

How ironic, since when they were children, the adults (who grew up in the 1920s) already wished things were the way they were when they were young.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Thought Provoking Op-Ed Piece in the SB

That article hits the bulls eye.

The Hoover generation built the largest damn on the planet.
    Eisenhower generation built the interstate highway system. Both still in use today.
    The Kennedy generation put a man on the moon.

Baby Boomers cannot point to a single large scale infrastructure project in the last 35 years. The reason for this is that Boomers have spent so much time erecting barriers in the form of laws designed to protect ourselves that it is virtually impossible to get anything done. It also add layer after layer of ridiculous cost in the form of EIS, public hearings, red tape, studies for this and that, etc etc. And then they wonder why housing is so expensive.

Boomers are afflicted with the most tragic disease of all - Small Minded Thinking.

I'm not worried. Us Gen-X'ers sit and plot all night long sometimes about the infrastructure building spree we will go on as soon as the last boomer kicks the bucket. And we ain't having no public hearings or focus groups about it either.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
      That article hits the bulls eye.
      I couldn't agree anymore. It definately hit a bullseye. In other words, the short summary of the piece is the politics of no is killing us.
      The Kona Blog

Comment

[...]Baby Boomers cannot point to a single large scale infrastructure project in the last 35 years.[...]
        Ah, come on! Al Gore is a Boomer and he invented a cyber-structure called the internet.

Comment

It's not ironic that two haole, such as yourselves, continue to harp on a idiotic theory. I guess outsiders like you will never understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Nalu
            It's not ironic that two haole, such as yourselves, continue to harp on a idiotic theory. I guess outsiders like you will never understand.
            Too Funny. Mahalo for the insight.

Goodnight.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Imagine any of us haole having the nerve to write the same thing about others of a different race.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

My comments were directed to Tim and Aaron, and their "Politcs of no" theory, not to you Aunty.

Comment

My comments were directed to Tim and Aaron, and their "Politcs of no" theory, not to you Aunty.
                  My Dear Nalu, I knew wat you were referring to. Das why I said and still say "too funny!"

Love and Aloha

Auntie pUpUle
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm not worried. Us Gen-X'ers sit and plot all night long sometimes about the infrastructure building spree we will go on as soon as the last boomer kicks the bucket. And we ain't having no public hearings or focus groups about it either.
                    What sort of infrastructure do you mean, Tim?

With what money? To what purpose? And on what planet?

Let's terraform Venus, put a bubble over it after we drain off the methane atmosphere, and let people migrate there. I'm for that. But I don't see what project you have in mind here on earth that you think we Baby Boomers are blocking because we enjoy being obstructive.
                    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

The Hoover Dam, men on the moon, and the interstate system were all considerable achievements. They were big achievements. But big does not always have to be big, and the boomer generation is probably responsible for a great number of big small achievements.

We won't be able to take our pictures in front of the Human Genome Project, but it was a three-billion-dollar project whose value and scope could be astronomical -- it's too early to tell.

The infant mortality rate in this country is about 6.5 per 1000 births -- not the best in the world, but what was it in the 1930s and 40s? Err...I couldn't find that info. So maybe this is a weak argument.

Or maybe not. Prenatal care in this country has become quite reliable, even if all I have to go on is anecdotal evidence. What I'm trying to say is that maybe we're not erecting these gigantic structures anymore, but maybe small is the new big, and maybe saving the spotted owls is the new build something and to heck with the spotted owls.

I am not against progress or building, but progress for its own sake, to stick with the health examples, is the mentality of a cancer cell.
                      Last edited by scrivener; April 30, 2006, 09:03 PM. Reason: "just maybe think of me, once in a while..."
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

From the originally linked piece:

IT'S IRONIC that the anti-development folks complain about both suburban and urban development, yet they have the nerve to complain about the high cost of housing. If they had their way, housing would be even more expensive because there would be even fewer houses.
                        The author is clearly missing the point, and I wonder if he has spent much time on the mainland. A drive down main drags in (and around) just about any major city (based on my limited but very attentive experience) is a depressing experience. Hey, there's a McDonald's and there's an Arby's and here's a Wal-Mart and there's a Best Buy and look, we're just a mile further down the road and there's a McDonald's and there's an Arby's and here's a Wal-Mart and there's a Best Buy.

I am not opposed to any of these businesses, but what I am opposed to is thoughtless development. Urban and suburban sprawl are among the greatest blights on our country, from aesthetic, practical, ideological, and political perspectives. Look at well-thought-out cities like Seattle and Portland and you'll see thriving, living cities with strong senses of community. Then hit Nashville and cruise around its surrounding towns and you'll get a very different experience. I love Nashville, and its people are the second-friendliest I've known outside Hawaii, but if Oahu turns into it, I'm outta here.

The Wal-Mart on Keeaumoku Street, it seems, wasn't such a bad thing for the neighborhood. It's still an atrocious-looking structure, but I say if we're going to have something like it, that's the best place for it. That doesn't mean I think Wal-Mart should be free to build wherever the heck and whenever the heck it darn well pleases.

Build smartly.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

xxxxxxxxxx
                          Last edited by Mahi Waina; May 1, 2006, 04:13 AM. Reason: Already in this thread

Comment

and maybe saving the spotted owls is the new build something and to heck with the spotted owls.

The best way to save the Spotted Owl is to serve Spotted Owl egg omeletes at Denny's. Ever notice we aint running out of cows or chickens? See, thats just exactly the kind of bass-ackwards thinking that the entire boom generation subscribes to. There are 5 nations in Africa where elephant populations are soaring. Know what they have in common? The sale of elephant parts is legal. So farmers are growing them.

What sort of infrastructure?

Just look at the road situation in Kona. Stopped by boomers led by Jack Kelly, Burial Council, and NIMBY boomers. Any environmentalist knows that when cars sit in stop & go traffic, they emit copious amounts of unburned hydrocarbons. So it would be fair to say that Kelly and the Burial Council are certainly NOT environmentally conscious. Same thing is true with grade separation helping to lower HCarb emissions. But look at all the people against that in Kona.

I will give props to the Genome project. But it's not really infrastructure related. And it did have some protests along the way.

Nalu, you are a bigot. But, of course, racism is accepted in Hawaii.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Typical response, bring up the race card when all else fails.
                              For the record I was born and raised here in Kona.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X