Hamura's Saimin Honored by James Beard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamura's Saimin Honored by James Beard

On May 8th, Kauai's famous Hamura's Saimin will be one of eight eateries to be nationally honored by the James Beard Foundation in the America's Classics category. The criteria of this category is "Presevering America's culinary heritage and diversity".

Aiko Hamura started the business in 1951, and to this day they still make their signature noodles and broth from scratch.

*Source: Honolulu Advertiser 5.01.06

-----------------------------------------
    My experience...

Hamura's Saimin operates out of a converted single story home tucked away on an industrial side street in Lihue. As soon as the doors open, the place quickly fill up with locals and tourists.

On my last visit there, my girlfriend and I shared a rather beat-up formica table with several local families, making it feel more like we were eating at tutu's house than at a restaurant. The drab yellow interior wall paint, along with Shoyu and Chili Pepper Water on each table reinforced that feeling. After seating ourselves, family staff quickly greeted us and took our order.

Many folks were ordering the grilled Teriyaki beef & chicken sticks with their saimin. But we just ordered a couple bowls of their classic saimin, served simply with sliced Kamaboko and Green Onions. In all honesty, it tasted no different than off-the-shelf S&S Saimin. At least that was my impression. Except maybe the noodles were a bit fresher. The broth had a pretty basic Dashi & Shoyu flavor. Then again, I've always preferred traditional Japanese Ramen vs. local-style Saimin, so it's not fair for me to say. Perhaps if I ordered the deluxe version I would have been more impressed.

Still, Hamura's Saimin is as much about the experience as it is the food. The reasonable prices are probably another big draw. If you ever visit Kauai, definately check it out. But go very early or during off-peak hours, or expect a long wait in line as it's strictly first come, first serve.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Hamura's Saimin Honored by James Beard

Very cool.

The James Beard foundation also honored Helena's Hawaiian Food on similar grounds in 2000. I'd link to it, but the site's database is balking at any of the archived award pages.

The James Beard Foundation has dozens of awards, many regional, and regularly cites Hawaii chefs. But while I'm sure many of the "big names" deserve their accolades, I like it best when Hawaii's down home, long-time, hidden gems get some recognition. Even though it sometimes means a little more business and exposure than they really need.

Comment

Re: Hamura's Saimin Honored by James Beard

Hamura's on Kress St. in Lihu'e is a real Kaua'i institution! And I mean that in a good way! Despite our Wal-Mart, the coming of Costco and the disappearing of small businesses - Hamura's keeps them coming in! And they don't do it by changing anything! (except when they had to do some remodeling 'cause of the ADA thing a few years back - even that didn't change it much)

I'm always amazed when I go there at the mix of people -- because it is written about in all the tourist guides as a "must see" you can see FOB tourists with leis on their necks next to tutus and tutu kanes getting their regulars. I never have seen anyone give anyone else "stink eye" either -- it seems to be a place where everyone can just dig into some ono grinds!

I love the fact that the owners of Hamura's had no desire to go to NYC to receive the award (despite airline tickets, etc. paid for) - they said that they were "too busy"! Love it! That is what makes places like Hamura's special -- they know what is important!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Comment

Working...
      X