Hawaii Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii Trip

Want to run this by all of you who live in beautful Hawaii.

My wife and I have done two cruises and she really likes them. We have been looking at doing a 12 day cruise that stops at all the islands. A couple of places have like a 2 or 3 day stop so you can really see a lot of the sights.

The other way would be just over to say Ohau and then rent a car and then fly to maybe a couple of different islands.

The nice thing about the cruise is you already have your room and all your food is provided.

What are your thoughts?

guy/ phx

Re: Hawaii Trip

If cruising is your preferred way to vacation, go for it. Just remember that while you'll be in and around Hawaii, a lot of your time will be spent at sea or relaxing on the ship, rather than maximizing your time actually on the ground. You do avoid a lot of the hassles of a typical vacation, but I'd wager you'd miss a lot of the true color and nature of the islands. This is true of any cruise, though, and I know enough hardcore cruise fans living right here in Hawaii who are quite happy with that "port of call" versus "at sea" balance.

There were some problems when some of the newer cruise ships based here in Hawaii came on line, but overall they're not bad and are decent options versus those that cross the ocean from the West Coast.

If you were weighing a five day cruise versus five days on the ground in Honolulu with options to fly interisland, I might more strongly recommend a more traditional vacation. But a 12-day cruise with at least a couple of days on each island might afford enough time to get about (either on your own or with a cruise group) yet take it easy if you want... and still enjoy keeping the same "hotel room" and other ameneties with you the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      If cruising is your preferred way to vacation, go for it. Just remember that while you'll be in and around Hawaii, a lot of your time will be spent at sea or relaxing on the ship, rather than maximizing your time actually on the ground. You do avoid a lot of the hassles of a typical vacation, but I'd wager you'd miss a lot of the true color and nature of the islands. This is true of any cruise, though, and I know enough hardcore cruise fans living right here in Hawaii who are quite happy with that "port of call" versus "at sea" balance.

There were some problems when some of the newer cruise ships based here in Hawaii came on line, but overall they're not bad and are decent options versus those that cross the ocean from the West Coast.

If you were weighing a five day cruise versus five days on the ground in Honolulu with options to fly interisland, I might more strongly recommend a more traditional vacation. But a 12-day cruise with at least a couple of days on each island might afford enough time to get about (either on your own or with a cruise group) yet take it easy if you want... and still enjoy keeping the same "hotel room" and other ameneties with you the whole time.
      I agree with you on the point of staying on the ship. We went on a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean last November. Many people never left the ship. We left early every morning so we could do something. We went scuba diving in Aruba, took a tram up to the top of the hill overlooking the city in St. Thomas, went shopping, did lunch. But the 7 day is too short because they leave the port at the end of each day, and that really pushes it. We did 6 islands in 7 days. The 12 day would work much better.

If you were going to fly over and stay at a cheap motel and just stay at 1 island which island would that be? Where do the locals like to vacation?

Comment

Originally posted by coop5054
        If you were going to fly over and stay at a cheap motel and just stay at 1 island which island would that be? Where do the locals like to vacation?
        Cheap motel sort of rules out Kauai unless someone here can offer a recommendation.

I'd stay at the Manago on the Kona side of the island of Hawaii.

Locals seem to like Las Vegas.
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

If you were going to fly over and stay at a cheap motel and just stay at 1 island which island would that be?
          Honolulu. Greatest diversity of experiences (from urban to rural, from scenic to active) and a huge variety of cultural and historical sites. Public transportation. And a whole range of accomodation options ranging from abysmal to palatial.

Where do the locals like to vacation?
          I like Sinjin's answer: Las Vegas. While I barely feel I know what a vacation is, as a Honolulu resident I'd like to think I'd vacation on the Big Island.

Comment

Cheap + Motel + Hawaii = HAH!!!!

I'd recommend a search of bed and breakfasts or vacation rentals on a desired neighbor island.

(Though either can be as pricey as a hotel, depending on the lodging/operator.)
            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

The other way would be just over to say Ohau and then rent a car and then fly to maybe a couple of different islands.
              If you're only planning to spend a day outer-island (and not the night), you really won't be able to see much at all.
              And if you're planning to do an overnight trip, you'll find that it takes most of a day just to do the island switch -- pack your bags, check out your hotel, return your rental car, get to the airport, a couple of hours there for the security stuff, take the flight, wait for your baggage at the new island, wait for a rental car, check into your hotel... presto, most of a day is gone.
              You really want to spend at least 5 days in one place, I think.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                Honolulu. Greatest diversity of experiences (from urban to rural, from scenic to active) and a huge variety of cultural and historical sites. Public transportation. And a whole range of accomodation options ranging from abysmal to palatial.

I like Sinjin's answer: Las Vegas. While I barely feel I know what a vacation is, as a Honolulu resident I'd like to think I'd vacation on the Big Island.
                Here is one place I ran across. I don't know where it's at on the island but it looks like pretty good rates and seems to look real nice.

http://winstonswaikikicondos.com/HTML/rates.html

http://winstonswaikikicondos.com/HTM...20Suite%20#314

http://winstonswaikikicondos.com/HTM...0List%20Anchor

Pat Winston's Waikiki Condos @
                Hawaiian King 417 Nohonani Street
                Honolulu, HI 96815-2622

Tell me what you think!

guy

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                  Cheap + Motel + Hawaii = HAH!!!!

I'd recommend a search of bed and breakfasts or vacation rentals on a desired neighbor island.

(Though either can be as pricey as a hotel, depending on the lodging/operator.)
                  The Bed and Breakfast is a great idea. I was looking at some the other day and I was amazed at how afordable they could be. Some places were below a hundred bucks per day which seemed great.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                    Cheap motel
                    ain't no such thing as either animal in Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      ain't no such thing as either animal in Hawaii.
                      For the most part you're right. However there is the Laie Inn!

Comment

If you don't mind hostels here's one not far from the Waipio Valley lookout I stayed at recently:

http://www.hotelhonokaa.com/accommodations.htm

Relatively cheap but certainly nothing fancy.

Here's my fav on the west side:

http://www.managohotel.com/accomm.html

has character.
                        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                        X