Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you rather be fat, or be unemployed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you rather be fat, or be unemployed?

On the KHON2 world news tonight, Joe reported that a high number of people would rather be unemployed, than to gain extra pounds.

So, I ask this to the HT community: Would you rather be fat, or be unemployed?

I'm already fat and unemployed, so my answer is yes.
    fat
    57.14%
    unemployed
    42.86%
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Would you rather be fat, or be unemployed?

If somebody else payed all the bills and I'm still healthy then fat is okay.

Comment

Nobody likes being unemployed.

Nobody likes living in pain every day.

I've been both. I fight both on a daily basis. I need employment to satisfy a certain mental and emotional need. I need to exercise daily to satisfy my physical and mental needs. Oh, and I need to eat. And I gotta pay for that. Is this a permanent choice? Be fat forever, or be homeless? What's the question again?

pax

Comment

The funniest part of this survey was one of the questions where they asked people if they'd rather be fat & rich or skinny & poor and people picked skinny & poor. I thought that was quite amusing since a fat rich person could afford all sorts of things to help them lose weight including surgery, private trainer, personal chef, etc. etc. - just think of Oprah. There's an example of what money can do to fat.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
          So, I ask this to the HT community: Would you rather be fat, or be unemployed?

I'm already fat and unemployed, so my answer is yes.
          You know what, I was in your shoes about 11 years ago. I had dropped
          out of college and admittedly had no direction to my life. It was like
          I was in a rut and couldn't get out. It was like that for 8 months
          until I found a job and my life slowly turned around. My best advise
          is keep your chin up and try to remain positive. I know things look
          dire right now, but I'm sure things will all work out in the long run.

Edit: Thinking that your fat and your unemployed, even though it is
          reality doesn't really help your self esteem. A good way of improving
          your self esteem is improving your current situation. Yes, I know
          it is easier said than done. But I know what you are going through..
          been there...
          Last edited by Aaron S; May 3, 2006, 06:21 PM.
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Something about this question makes me uncomfortable.

It's true that being overweight is not a good thing, but being over-ANYthing is generally not good. Fat, however, does not mean overweight, and as someone else pointed out, you can be fat and otherwise healthy. I have a friend who, one year ago, had gastric bypass surgery, and she looks great. Thing is, she looked pretty dang good to me before she lost all the weight. Her weight-loss has done very nice things for her self-esteem, but before she went under the knife, I told her that whatever happened, nothing she did to her body was going to make her any more beautiful than she already was, and I stand by that.

Unemployed, even, isn't necessarily bad. I have a friend who walked away from a stressful IT job so she could take some time to think things over. She'd saved enough and was not stressed about her expenses (such as they were). That was two years ago, and I envy her the peace she's had for these years.

Now, I'm quite a few pounds heavier than I should be, and it is beginning to take a toll on my health, not to mention the way I feel when I see myself naked in the mirror, and I have been unable to find a job, and that didn't make me feel too good either, so I understand what's really at the heart of this question. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have no idea what it is that makes me uncomfortable about this question. Sorry.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I was unemployed once and I still had fat on me, I use to work out, but it, never did anything for me, but make me realize that in order to get anywhere I need money, and staying home with nothing to do is BORING especially without cash Did I mention MONEY? So I would rather be employed.
              A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

I thought about this question too and have pondered this reality. Why is it that a lot of poor people are fat? With little to spend on food I'd imagine they'd be rather famished.

I assume that maybe they're eating unhealthy foods that contribute to weight gain such as processed foods that can be cheaper than healthier foods.

Then there are those that are employed. They're not so fat probably because at least eight hours out of the day (except for lunch) they are focused on work and are not munching away their mornings and afternoons.

I kinda like that comparison answer to the question: Would you rather be fat or ugly. At least when you're fat you can lose weight and get skinny, however you can't change ugly. no matter what your weight is.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Or, would you rather be ugly or unemployed?
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                    Or, would you rather be ugly or unemployed?
                    Ha! Unemployed for the same reason...the unemployed can still get a job, but the ugly remains that, look at Bill Gates. He's rich but boy oh boy he sure ain't the prettiest face in town.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                      You know what, I was in your shoes about 11 years ago. I had dropped
                      out of college and admittedly had no direction to my life. It was like
                      I was in a rut and couldn't get out. It was like that for 8 months
                      until I found a job and my life slowly turned around. My best advise
                      is keep your chin up and try to remain positive. I know things look
                      dire right now, but I'm sure things will all work out in the long run.

Edit: Thinking that your fat and your unemployed, even though it is
                      reality doesn't really help your self esteem. A good way of improving
                      your self esteem is improving your current situation. Yes, I know
                      it is easier said than done. But I know what you are going through..
                      been there...
                      I can joke about my weight, so I'm not hurting myself.

When I was working, I used to walk a block to eat lunch, when the other people said it was "too far" and only stuck to their premade home lunches and whatnot. (plus, I didn't have the heart to tell them I walked home from school for a few years)
                      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                        I can joke about my weight, so I'm not hurting myself.

When I was working, I used to walk a block to eat lunch, when the other people said it was "too far" and only stuck to their premade home lunches and whatnot. (plus, I didn't have the heart to tell them I walked home from school for a few years)

I think you misconstrued my comments I made. That being said, I hope
                        you re-read what I wrote and let it sink in. As that was my impression
                        of my thoughts on what you wrote. Like I said, I've been where you
                        are currently.. so I completely understand.

Ok my .25 of Dr. Phil time is up
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Being fat or unemployed are, if so chosen to be so by the afflicted, are temporary maladies. Either one of those conditions can be corrected with some effort.

But if the question is to be construed that the maladies are permanant conditions in which one has absolutely no control over, I'm going with unemployed.

I've been in good physical shape most of my adult life. I've run 17 marathons to date, (number 18 will be run this fall in Honolulu) and at this advanced age of mine, I'm still able to fit into size 29 jeans. Being fat is a condition I personally cannot accept as normal, and as such, if I have to choose between one or the other, I'm going with unemployed. I figure being unemployed, I can devote even more time to my physical running regimen, thusly keeping in shape, OR, being in the state of unemployment, I'll probably be thin anyway from my inability to buy food on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                            Something about this question makes me uncomfortable.

It's true that being overweight is not a good thing, but being over-ANYthing is generally not good. Fat, however, does not mean overweight, and as someone else pointed out, you can be fat and otherwise healthy. I have a friend who, one year ago, had gastric bypass surgery, and she looks great. Thing is, she looked pretty dang good to me before she lost all the weight. Her weight-loss has done very nice things for her self-esteem, but before she went under the knife, I told her that whatever happened, nothing she did to her body was going to make her any more beautiful than she already was, and I stand by that.

Unemployed, even, isn't necessarily bad. I have a friend who walked away from a stressful IT job so she could take some time to think things over. She'd saved enough and was not stressed about her expenses (such as they were). That was two years ago, and I envy her the peace she's had for these years.

Now, I'm quite a few pounds heavier than I should be, and it is beginning to take a toll on my health, not to mention the way I feel when I see myself naked in the mirror, and I have been unable to find a job, and that didn't make me feel too good either, so I understand what's really at the heart of this question. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have no idea what it is that makes me uncomfortable about this question. Sorry.
                            My issue with the question is that we are being asked to choose the lesser of two hells, which implies that either fate--er, choice-- is hell (apologies to Dante).

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                              My issue with the question is that we are being asked to choose the lesser of two hells, which implies that either fate--er, choice-- is hell (apologies to Dante).
                              Yeah neither are two appetizing or lesser to each other. Both are equally hellish
                              and I would not wish it on anyone.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X