Global warming and the tradewinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global warming and the tradewinds

Researchers are reporting that the moisture-laden tradewinds of the Pacific Ocean, which bring the rains to the Hawaiian Islands, have been weakening over the past century, and may continue to weaken.

Uh oh.

If the tradewinds slow down, then we get less rain. If we get less rain, then there will be that much less fresh water available on the islands. Permanent drought conditions. Now that's scary.

Re: Global warming and the tradewinds

Drought could be a problem, but the evidence is not yet overwhelming. But rising ocean levels will hit hard guaranteed. Rate of rise is about 1/5 inch per year right now. Thats 1 inch every 5 years. And in 20 years, the rate in expected to be 1/2" per year, or faster, AND continuing to increase. Thats 1 inch every 2 years. In 100 years, some predict 20 feet of difference, and the real doomsdayers are saying 30 plus.

Now walk down to the Ala Wai, and tell me what 20 feet looks like???
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I agree that the evidence is not overwhelming... yet. But that's always the dilemma of using preliminary science data to make public policy -- if you wait long enough to have better data, you risk losing the opportunity to take early action.

The sea level rise will be highly disruptive and financially catastrophic, but it will be survivable. We'll just move inland and rebuild the infrastructure. But to have to get by with even 10% less rainfall, permanently? I'd say that's even more serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        I agree that the evidence is not overwhelming... yet. But that's always the dilemma of using preliminary science data to make public policy -- if you wait long enough to have better data, you risk losing the opportunity to take early action.

The sea level rise will be highly disruptive and financially catastrophic, but it will be survivable. We'll just move inland and rebuild the infrastructure. But to have to get by with even 10% less rainfall, permanently? I'd say that's even more serious.

Surivival of the fittest come's into play yet again. I think humans survived because they knew how to adapt to the changes in climate and weather. So I think human kind will survive or if not live on some other planet far, far, far, far, far away We refuse to go out, like a light bulb
        A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Hey Pedro:
          When you move to Utah, and if you stay there long enough, Layton going be beachfront property to the Great Salt Lake! (Oh yeah, no foget to go holoholo over to da Great Salt Lake).

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Hey Pedro:
            When you move to Utah, and if you stay there long enough, Layton going be beachfront property to the Great Salt Lake! (Oh yeah, no foget to go holoholo over to da Great Salt Lake).

Miulang
            Middle of July is when I depart for the PROMISED LAND and leave my beautiful Home

Comment

This study is an interesting read. It explains the whole Global warming and greenhouse effect in scientific terms. You hardly get facts like these on the mainstream media news.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                This study is an interesting read. It explains the whole Global warming and greenhouse effect in scientific terms. You hardly get facts like these on the mainstream media news.
                It's also interesting that the author of that site, Steven Milloy, has been labeled a right wing shill.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  It's also interesting that the author of that site, Steven Milloy, has been labeled a right wing shill.
                  So actually he's not really a scientist, but he does have his Bachelors Degree in Natural Science and he love's to bash mostly science stuff Sounds like a GUY I can TRUST especially when the worlds coming to an END. I can look to him to tell me it's not, and it's all a DREAM fabricated by scientist who only want my money

Comment

What makes you think the world's coming to an end? Remember in the 70's when they used to say that the Amazon was being destroyed at the rate of three football fields a day? Well ....BIG news! 30 years later, It's still here! You figure @ 3 football fields a day it would be gone by the 21st century.
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                      What makes you think the world's coming to an end? Remember in the 70's when they used to say that the Amazon was being destroyed at the rate of three football fields a day? Well ....BIG news! 30 years later, It's still here! You figure @ 3 football fields a day it would be gone by the 21st century.
                      The world itself might not be coming to an end, but we, as a "civilized" "humane" "kind" and "cerebrate" form of existence, might be.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

so why is it that third world countries are doing most of the eco damage yet everyone is pointing at the USA as the destroyer of the environment. Yeah we produce more pollutants by virtue of the number of cars we have however each new car sold in the United States must pass stricter emission laws than practically anywhere in the developed world.

Here in the US at least we have managed foresting instead of the clear cutting you see in Indonesia and the burning of lands to clear acreage creating massive air pollution in the surrounding communities.

And before we make this a partisian issue, remember Inouye did vote for Arctic drilling.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          so why is it that third world countries are doing most of the eco damage yet everyone is pointing at the USA as the destroyer of the environment. Yeah we produce more pollutants by virtue of the number of cars we have however each new car sold in the United States must pass stricter emission laws than practically anywhere in the developed world.

Here in the US at least we have managed foresting instead of the clear cutting you see in Indonesia and the burning of lands to clear acreage creating massive air pollution in the surrounding communities.

And before we make this a partisian issue, remember Inouye did vote for Arctic drilling.
                          But Craig, why didn't the US ratify the Kyoto Protocol if we, as a supposed "leader" in the ecological battle were the only Big 6 country besides Australia that DIDN'T ratify it?

The current Administration would love to dismantle the conservation efforts in this country by selling off prime forestland in our National Parks to developers. They have already allowed strip mining and natural gas exploration in some of the most ecologically fragile areas of Montana and Colorado and Utah.

As a young nation, don't you think WE also were destroying our land, the same way as the 3rd world countries are doing today? We clearcut thousands of acres of forest so we could have our cities; we fenced in the prairie where the buffalo used to roam so we could have our freeways and suburbs.

We are not any better or worse than any other country, but I do believe we have the opportunity to preserve what little open space there is left in our country and to try to reverse some of the damage that we have done to OUR part of the world. Next to China, which is fast gaining on us, we use more fossil fuel than any other country in the world, and the burning of fossil fuel is tied to the thinning of the ozone layer which protects the earth from radiation. If we don't continue to be diligent in our efforts to save the Earth, why should we expect any other country to do it?

Miulang

P.S., Inouye voted for ANWR because he is in bed with the Alaska legislators ("you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours"). We'll see if the pork that Dan inserted into the Iraqi/Katrina Bill survives if the pork that Stevens inserted on behalf of Alaska goes up in smoke.
                          Last edited by Miulang; May 4, 2006, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

95% of "old growth" redwood forest was clear cut in California. Doug fir nearly the same and still ongoing. Tropical "old growth" forest clear cutting is even worse as in tends not to regenerate.
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

[QUOTE=alohabear]What makes you think the world's coming to an end?

Well the world isn't coming to an end yet and hopefully my children's children's, children(if I ever do have any that is) live to see it

Comment

Working...
                              X