Pepsi, Coke pledge to remove nondiet sodas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pepsi, Coke pledge to remove nondiet sodas

Well, I dunno if the kids will sit still for this one...Coke and Pepsi have pledged to remove their regular (with corn syrup and sugar) drinks but will keep the diet, fruit juices and bottled water in their vending machines in schools nationwide.

I wonder if that's going to slow down one problem but create another one for the kids when they get older. Yes, the corn syrup and sugar used in regular Coke and Pepsi are contributing to childhood obesity, but the jury's still out on what the artificially sweetened beverages do to a human being's neuromuscular system over years of consumption (see shoyu thread below). We might end up with a few generations of leaner older adults who suffer from an epidemic of Parkinson's, Alzheimer's or ALS instead.

Small kid time, we didn't have soda vending machines. Our choices for drink were water or milk. And man, I wish I had been the one who "invented" water in plastic bottles!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Pepsi, Coke pledge to remove nondiet sodas

Well since I typically see only fat people drinking diet sodas tells me...IT AIN'T WORKING!!!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

That State BOE is proposing even stricter rules regarding the selling of sodas and other sugared drinks in local schools than the voluntary national ban proposed by Coke, Pepsi and Cadbury Schwepps.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        Well since I typically see only fat people drinking diet sodas tells me...IT AIN'T WORKING!!!
        Keep in mind that lots of these overweight people also have diabetes. Some of their "roundness" is caused by insulin shots. A good friend and my ex-wife are a couple of them. They didn't start out fat.

It's not just corn syrup. It's high fructose corn syrup. Some of those fruit drinks contain just as much of the stuff as does regular soda. Those companies aren't doing anybody any favors if they think some of these fruit juices are better for ya. Also, the bigger fear of HFCS is diabetes. Many researchers are attributing our latest "epidemic" of diabetes to HFCS which has been around since 1970.

Comment

Okay, but stores better follow suit and help out. Everyday after school (15:00hrs) I see kids drinking sodas at walmart, KFC, and (gasp) Ala Moana Center. Sure, the schools are doing their part, but once they get released, they'll go back to their normal activities and drink sodas that's available at stores.

Another idea is to make those drinks smaller. Heck, I've seen parents give their young kids regular bottle sized sodas that are almost half as big as the kids! Also, having flavored water or low sugar juices is another good alternative.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
            Keep in mind that lots of these overweight people also have diabetes. Some of their "roundness" is caused by insulin shots. A good friend and my ex-wife are a couple of them. They didn't start out fat.

It's not just corn syrup. It's high fructose corn syrup. Some of those fruit drinks contain just as much of the stuff as does regular soda. Those companies aren't doing anybody any favors if they think some of these fruit juices are better for ya. Also, the bigger fear of HFCS is diabetes. Many researchers are attributing our latest "epidemic" of diabetes to HFCS which has been around since 1970.
            Insulin tends to make some of the diabetics gain weight. Your ex-wife and friend probably had diabetes run in the family genes rather than being diabetic from being overweight. Obesity and diabetes is a big epidemic now. Too much fast foods and foods high in fat and sodium along with inactivity is too blame.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
              Another idea is to make those drinks smaller. Heck, I've seen parents give their young kids regular bottle sized sodas that are almost half as big as the kids!
              Good point by Adrian. I remember, going way back, when Coca-Cola was still sold in (what was then) standard 6.5 oz. returnable bottles. That 6.5 oz. bottle was considered the standard serving portion. It came in either a six or eight bottle carrying case. (I clearly remember buying an eight bottle case of the 6.5 oz. returnable bottles while spending a weekend in Honolulu at the PK, on a trip from the Big I, back in '78.) Drinking more than one bottle of it was considered excessive. Coke was also available in 10 oz., 12 oz., and 16 oz. returnable bottles, but these came long after the 6.5 oz. bottles. I even remember back in hanabata days, (around 1970 ..Coke was still made with cane sugar in Hawaii then!) being amazed when Coke rolled out a non-returnable resealable plastic 32 oz. bottle...I couldn't imagine a 32 oz. bottle of Coke! It was meant to shared, unlike, say for instance, the commonly-seen 1 liter bottle of Coke, or that 32 oz. "Big Slam" (or words similar to that) marketed by Pepsi in some markets now.

The bottle sizes of Coke and Pepsi have grown enormously, along with the Super Big Gulps at 7-11 (A 44 oz. drink? Maybe if you are Shaq O'Neal after a really hard game, but come on..who needs a 44 oz. soft drink?). It's interesting to note that the standard 20 oz. bottle of Coke now has two parts to its required "Nutrition Facts" labeling: the nutrition content of what is now considered one serving ( 8 oz.) and the nutrition content for the entire bottle, which constitutes 2.5 servings and 240 calories. I wonder if the consumer of a 20 oz. bottle of Coke realizes that they would have to run about 2.5 miles to burn off the calorie content of a single 20 oz. bottle of regular Coca-Cola.?
              Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; May 5, 2006, 05:12 AM.

Comment

You want a real eye opener? Try check out this file that shows how portion sizes (and calories) have increased for "normal" portions over the last 20 years. Your maka going fall outside your head!

Here one second set of slides. No wonder we all coming supersized. Nowadays gotta read labels to find out what a "serving size" is.

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; May 5, 2006, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Well, what kids decide to buy and eat when they're on their own is another matter entirely, and something I'd look to parents to sort out.

This change is a small one, but a good one. I especially like that the big beverage companies really don't mind, anyway, since their sodas aren't selling as well these days, and bottled water and sports drinks are taking off. So limiting sales to those products in schools will still make them money, but make them look better.

This is something that's been talked about forever (though yes in some local cases, action has already been taken). I'm glad someone actually got out and did something on the national level... and that it was Clinton and the AHA is just icing on the cake.

As for overall portion sizes... remember McDonald's used to have a 'gargantuan size' meal above the 'large'? They pulled it specifically because of the heat over portion sizes and excessive calories. I actually kind of miss it, though... not because I'm a glutton, but because we used to be able to order just one 'gargantuan size' combo and split the huge drink and fries among three or four people who'd separately just order a sandwich or salad, and save.

Comment

Working...
                  X