No announcement yet.

No Peanut Butter at a Grammar School ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Peanut Butter at a Grammar School ??

So one student is allergic to peanuts and somehow that means that EVERY child in the school is not allowed to bring peanut products to the school(Waiau Elementary, I think). I swear I just saw this on the KHON 2 news. This is simply crazy!!!!!!

My daughter would starve to death without her peanut butter sandwiches.

So if a child accidentally has some peanut butter on their collar from breakfast, and the allergic kid gets sick, is it assault?? Grounds for suspension?? Maybe the parents should be arrested??

What kind of a parent would depend upon the trust of a 3rd grader to protect their child from allergens? What the hell happened to democracy?? Majority rules?? I'm just astonished.

The times are getting crazier and crazier.

ps - if a child has a learning disability, should we ban learning in grammar schools?
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Re: No Peanut Butter at a Grammar School ??

The peanut-allergy thing is a serious issue, and something needs to be figured out about it. I have colleagues who can't be in the same room as anything with peanuts in it, or they have horrible reactions. There are students with similar conditions. There's been an explosion in recent years in peanut allergies, and nobody seems to know why; however, it remains true that even casual, across-the-room exposure to peanuts is hazardous to a growing number of people, students as well as teachers.

Perhaps a ban until a workable solution can be figured out is in order.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Poor peanut butter; how about this:

Tennessean.com reported on 3/3/06 that, "Large jars of peanut butter have been banned in Tennessee's 15 state prisons because inmates were hiding guns, drugs and other contraband in the 18-ounce containers".

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...90/1010/NEWS02

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
        There's been an explosion in recent years in peanut allergies, and nobody seems to know why;
        It is interesting how much more prevalent these nut allergies have become. And it really does make you wonder what's making it happen?
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          There's been an explosion in recent years in peanut allergies, and nobody seems to know why; .
          oh the answer is obvious. if ya think about it.. really is...

take a look at the national diet of kids and how it's changed over the years. and how parents try to pamper and protect their lil rug rats. of course they will become hypersensitive to something that heretofore was acceptable to most growing bodies.

Comment

Do they still give out peanuts on airplanes? How did they ever/do they ever get away with that?
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
              Do they still give out peanuts on airplanes? How did they ever/do they ever get away with that?
              Nope, they've all stopped, due to the increase in allergies.

Comment

It's not just kids. The severity of the reaction for these allergies is horrific for anyone, but the extra caution for children makes sense. Kids may not know, they're less qualified to handle a reaction, and their systems are probably weaker.

Not consuming nuts is simple enough, but the fact that dust and particles are still dangerous? That's something. Even a food product that contains no nuts these days will have to be labeled if it just happens to be packaged in a facility where there may be peanut dust.

Are Food Allergies a Growing Threat?
                According to the American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology, peanut allergies in children increased twofold from 1997 to 2002. Some studies suggest about four percent of the U.S. population — more than 11 million people — have food allergies. Ten years ago, that figure was believed to be only one percent.

But some researchers say an increasing awareness is causing a spike in reports of allergies. Other scientists believe the reason for the increase lies in the way peanuts are prepared. Still others believe children are exposed to too few allergens in their youth. Who's right?

Comment

The Pawtucket (RI) Red Sox, the Triple A affliate of the Boston Red Sox, announced yesterday that they were going to schedule a "peanut free" night, at some point during their season, in order to accomodate baseball fans with peanut allergies wishing to attend a game this year. There was also a brief mention during the announcement of this item ( by a local NBC station) that the New England Patriots were also considering creating "peanut free zones" within the confines of Gillette Stadium, their NFL home in Foxboro, MA. I was under the impression, after hearing this news brief, that other NFL teams were considering peanut free zones as well.
                  Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; May 4, 2006, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Something about a food allergy that smacks of extinction. If you are a human, thinking of mating, it would seem that a mate with allergies would be undesirable, regardless of good looks.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Hmm. Peanuts grow best in warm climates. They don't grow well in Europe. I wonder if the prevalence of peanut allergies in the USA is genetically linked to European ancestry? Perhaps the peanut-susceptible portions of, say, African populations were weeded out of the African gene pool a long time ago. And now that peanut products are available worldwide, we're seeing that same weeding-out process occurring with everyone else.

Comment

And that's why food anthropology is such a fascinating field of study. People used to thrive on diets comprised of foods that were grown locally; with the age of globalization where you can get just about anything your heart desires from anywhere in the world to eat, it's no wonder some of us fall prey to food allergies.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                          Yup, I was on a few Delta flights a couple of weeks ago and they were handing out packets of peanuts. But prior to that, I thought airlines had stopped serving peanuts as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            People used to thrive on diets comprised of foods that were grown locally; with the age of globalization where you can get just about anything your heart desires from anywhere in the world to eat, it's no wonder some of us fall prey to food allergies.

Miulang
                            actually the opposite is true. It is the diet confined to a limited overprocessed habitual few basic things that help this malady.
                            a varied diet would help to develop immunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                              Yup, I was on a few Delta flights a couple of weeks ago and they were handing out packets of peanuts. But prior to that, I thought airlines had stopped serving peanuts as well.
                              Wow - I stand corrected (and a bit stunned.) Maybe it's because Delta is based in the American South.

Comment

Working...
                              X