Hello from Montreal :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Montreal :)

Aloha boys and girls ! Lucie here from Montreal, Quebec. I'm going to Hawaii (O'ahu) for vacation in 37 days.. .weee hoooo *does the hoola dance* I have lots planned, well I have my dolphin swim at SeaLife reserved, my Lei greeting at the airport and going to Germaine's Lua. So I have lots of time to think about what I want to do. I would like to go swim with the sharks on the North shore but I lack transportation. I'm sure I could find a ride there or somehow take a bus. If some would like to meet for like breakfast or lunch or supper or a time on the beach, let me know we'll exchange coordinates when I get there. I am staying in a private condo at the Island Colony.. if any of you know that, just to give you a reference.

So Mahalo in advance for whoever will respond and keep in touch. and hopefully make many new friends

Lucie (Montreal, Canada)

p.s. you can email me directly if you prefer
    http://www.liftforlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567
    http://360.yahoo.com/legal_secretary_in_montreal2001
    If you see it and believe it, then you can achieve it and be it

Re: Hello from Montreal

Aloha and welcome (bienvenue). Parlez-vous français ? Je voudrais vraiment visiter Montréal !
    Hope you have fun on your vacation.
    Arturo

Comment

Yes I do speak french. It is my "mother tongue" language. Montreal is beautiful too ! I think you would enjoy it more in the summertime as that is when we have all our festivals (Just for laugh, jazz festival, etc..)

Mahalo for responding

Comment

hello and welcome.

enjoy your vacation!

i have two months to go before visiting the islands... i need this trip.

joel

Comment

Aloha! If you want a Close-up Tour of My Chinatown, let me know by PM. I'll glady show you around. The best time is the First Friday of the Month. However, anytime is great too.

I'm Auntie Lynn of Chinatown!
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by legal_secretary_in_mtl
            going to Germaine's Lua
            Germaine's hosting fights?

Sorry, Lucie - I know you meant "lu`au," I couldn't resist. "Lua" is an ancient Hawaiian fighting technique. There's another meaning to the word, commonly used in the Islands, but I'm staying away from that one.

(I'm likely to visit Montreal myself in about two years. Highlights from "Just For Laughs" are among my favorite CBC shows. My sweetie is a Legal Secretary here in Seattle, fwiw.)
            Last edited by Leo Lakio; May 4, 2006, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio

"Lua" is an ancient Hawaiian fighting technique. There's another meaning to the word, commonly used in the Islands, but I'm staying away from that one.
              (puts on gloves) Lua: Toilet, outhouse, bathroom, cellar.

And the Hawaiian dance you're thinking of is spelled hula instead of hoola.

And the word pupu means...probably not what you're thinking either.

Comment

Originally posted by legal_secretary_in_mtl
                I would like to go swim with the sharks on the North shore
                I...uh...hoo boy, it's a challenge to resist a lawyer joke here - but that's another thread...

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                  (puts on gloves) Lua: Toilet, outhouse, bathroom, cellar.[...]
                  From the above referenced site, Lua also means:
                  "A type of dangerous hand-to-hand fighting in which the, fighters broke bones, dislocated bones at the joints, and inflicted severe pain by pressing on nerve centers. There was much leaping, and (rarely) quick turns of spears. Many of the techniques were secret. Lua holds were named (see fight). Lua experts were bodyguards to chiefs..."

I wasn't aware of this definition...only the one that is, ummm, used most frequently!

My question is how does one, little 3 letter word have such extreme definitions?!

Welcome, Lucie. You can count on a lotta good natured, smart a$$ remarks here!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                    My question is how does one, little 3 letter word have such extreme definitions?!
                    tutu, you know dass da nature of da Hawaiian language. it's also the reason there is so much huhu about the word
                    haole
                    as we see ...

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

A lot of it is about context.

Comment

I...uh...hoo boy, it's a challenge to resist a lawyer joke here - but that's another thread...
                        LMFAO... go ahead.. Ive been working with them for like almost 10 yrs... ive heard them all :P

Thanks for all your messages.

Comment

Kimo and Lurkah...yah, I'm aware of what both of you are sayin'. Every time I need to look up the definition of a Hawaiian word I'm always amazed at how varied they are. For some reason I found the extremely different definitions of 'lua' a bit funny. I'm just in that kinda mood today, I guess!

Comment

I found one online reference (and you KNOW you can ALWAYS trust what you read online!) that says the "bathroom" use of lua is pidgin, and not `olelo Hawai`i.

What do you knowledgeable folks (or good guessers) say on this?

Comment

I found one online reference (and you KNOW you can ALWAYS trust what you read online!) that says the "bathroom" use of lua is pidgin, and not `olelo Hawai`i.

What do you knowledgeable folks (or good guessers) say on this?
                              As a "good guesser", I would offer that if the word in question is defined in Keola Donaghy's comprehensive online Hawaiian dictionary database, then it's 'olelo Hawai'i.

However, I would also offer the possibility that if the word was indeed considered pidgin by kanaka maoli, that an abbreviated term might have been necessitated due to others having difficulty with asking to use their lua li'ili'i, hale li'ili'i, wahi ho'opau pilikia, or ki'ona instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X