Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filipino Mom wants apology for son's eating habits

Source and full article

Over the last couple of months, Luc Cagadoc says he was moved to an empty table about 10 times by École Lalande’s lunchtime day-care monitor for his table etiquette. The caregiver also called him “disgusting,” he says.

The Roxboro resident, whose parents originate from the Philippines, says he was disciplined for using a fork to push his food onto a spoon before bringing both utensils to his mouth — a manner used widely in the South Pacific nation.
    They better not see another way us filipinos eat.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: filipino Mom wants apology for son's eating habits

Originally posted by doc1456
    monitor for his table etiquette. The caregiver also called him “disgusting,”

for using a fork to push his food onto a spoon before bringing both utensils to his mouth
    hell.
    I... want an apology from da whole family for having the image in my mind now!

Comment

Can you imagine Japanese culture where it's common to put the entire bowl of rice up to your mouth and slurp it up then burp? As disgusting as it sounds it's the way it is when eating ramen. The slurp is very important in telling the host that this is delicious. The burp is the follow up. Well don't belch it out.

If disciplining a cultural ways of eating can be construed as racial biasing, then I think this family has grounds for racial discrimination and should press for an apology.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I wonder where in the Philippines the kid's family is from?

I ask only because I've never ever heard/seen the manner in which he eats. My mom's side is still fairly traditional when it comes to certain things...and I have fond memories of my nana feeding us when we were little kids...with her hand. I know Filipinos like to eat with their hands, but it's something that's done in the privacy of their own homes, not at public places, judging from my experience.

But bringing both utensils to the mouth? I have yet to see it.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
          I wonder where in the Philippines the kid's family is from?

I ask only because I've never ever heard/seen the manner in which he eats. My mom's side is still fairly traditional when it comes to certain things...and I have fond memories of my nana feeding us when we were little kids...with her hand. I know Filipinos like to eat with their hands, but it's something that's done in the privacy of their own homes, not at public places, judging from my experience.

But bringing both utensils to the mouth? I have yet to see it.
          I have to agree with you on this one. I've spent time in the Philippines and have many Filipino friends. We dine out and at each others homes and I've never seen an instance where both utensils are brought to the mouth.

Comment

yea. wot lei sed.

I, tho' being a malihini through and through, have never ever, seen said behaviors patterns as described in the aforementioned manner in which it was delineated. In all my decades here. never once saw that.
            No way.
            Huu uh.
            Naaaht!
            Aole.

Comment

the method normally used is pushing the food with fork onto the spoon and then bringing the spoon to the mouth. not both utensils.. the person that wrote the article needs to check her writing/or get the facts straight. i've never seen/heard anyone of filipino ancestry/descent bring both utensils..at first when i saw this i thought the boy was using his hands to eat! which is a common practice with filipinos.

Comment

I skipped this thread on purpose from this morning. Now, I went and read the article. I am outraged and can see why the mother is upset. I am a third generation Filipino born here in America. My late husband came from Davao del Norte Philippines.

The fork and spoon is not used to shove food inside the mouth at once as they would want you to believe. No. The fork and spoon is used as utensils for which it is intended to be used on the plate. As a shovel and other useful equiptment to partake in eating delicious food.

Filipinos take pride in preparing, cooking, presenting and eating delicasies. They are also very clean people. The mere thought of having one's child being filthy or desruptive in school brings shame and dishonor.

The nerve of any Principal or School to judge a child because of their cultural difference without getting the truth behind the story. I would get my child, grandchild out of that environment so fast.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Geez Louise. We try hard to teach our Mel table manners. One of them is to use a spoon or fork to help place/push food on a spoon or fork as most kids use their fingers to do this. I've seen worse table manners from kids and adults of whom table manners were "written" by. Did I say that right? You know. "Proper" dining table ettiquette as was taught to us using spoons, forks and knives, is more a Western/European thang. Btw, we'd teach Mel with a knife, butter or otherwise, as the English use one just for the aforementioned purpose, but she's still a bit young to be wielding one. Might poke her eye out after scooping a bit of rice and gravy.

Comment

ho I guess eating Hawaiian style with nothing but da fingers would be worse than using utensils at all!
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
                      not both utensils.. the person that wrote the article needs to check her writing/or get the facts straight. .
                      You're probably right.

But if it is true as written, the kid must have given the impression he was literally SHOVELING food into his mouth. Then I could see how this would - at the least - appear "piggish".

Still, I also have never seen such a method of eating in all my years of hanging out with filipino friends' (and girlfriends') families. I've even visited Manila and Bagio once and never recalled seeing this.

Heck, I'm not asian, yet I eat almost exclusively using chopsticks. Even my french fries... Ha ha! Really. Oh cr@p.. the principal's calling me to the office...
                      Last edited by Pomai; May 4, 2006, 05:10 PM.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                        Heck, I'm not asian, yet I eat almost exclusively using chopsticks. Even my french fries... Ha ha! Really. Oh cr@p.. the principal's calling me to the office...
                        Oh oh.....busted!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                          [...]Oh cr@p.. the principal's calling me to the office...
                          Get any demerits?

Comment

Working...
                          X