Confession: Now I'm Using Too Many Zippered Plastic Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confession: Now I'm Using Too Many Zippered Plastic Bags

We never had these in our house when I was growing up, so they always seemed kinda special, like maybe only rich people had them or something. I don't think I ever got over that feeling that zippered plastic bags were a kind of luxury.

But now I go through them like a madman.

I cook a lot of chicken, and you know what the garbage starts to smell like after just one day. I hate it when my garbage smells like garbage. So I toss the skins and bones and fat-trimmings and gristle and giblets (yes, I toss the giblets) and the packaging the chicken comes in and all those paper towels I use up when I pat the chickens dry into a zippered plastic bag and then toss that into my Star Market plastic bags and tie that up and throw that in the trash can.

Anyone remember Phil Hartman's The Anal-Retentive Chef on SNL? That's what I'm turning into!

Ooh, wait. I just thought of something. Maybe some of those bags I use once for various food-related tasks I can save up just to use for throwing out stuff. Hmmm...
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Confession: Now I'm Using Too Many Zippered Plastic Bags

I have to admit that I also use many ziplock bags. We have a large wicker basket full of various snacks. All in different sized bags. I have all my hiking supplies in bags, in my backpack, like each one is a pocket or something. Should I go on? Nah, that's good enough. Whew!
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I've seen that zippered bags are very useful in Hawai`i, not only for the usual reasons but also to keep those crazy tiny ants out of some foods.

You can wash and re-use zippered bags for almost anything, except meat products - once you've had meat in a bag, don't reuse it for other foods - too high a risk of cross-contamination.

But you can use older bags (ones that held meat, or have been reused many times) to seal up potentially stinky items before tossing them into the trash.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
        [...]Ooh, wait. I just thought of something. Maybe some of those bags I use once for various food-related tasks I can save up just to use for throwing out stuff. Hmmm...
        Good idea! My M.O. is to try to recycle a plastic bag at least twice; more, if possible. Once used, the quart and gallon size plastic bags, zippered or otherwise, become garbage wrappers as I don't throw food type garbage directly into the trash! This cuts way down on the ant and cockroach visits!

Comment

I use the large gallon-size zipper-style zip bags for the cereal. Everytime my kids eat cereal they mangle that stupid plastic inner bag to the point where you can't roll it up inside the box. Within a couple of days either ants get in or humidity turns frosted flakes into oatmeal.

So now I just pour all the cereal into these zip bags and put the bag back in the cereal box. Now the kids have crunchy cereal without having to pick the ants out. Then when the box gets empty I go to Safeway and buy the bag of Safeway brand of the same cereal and viola...another box of cereal for half the price of the original.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Then there's the OMELET IN A BAG, which is claimed to be a great method for large gatherings or families with picky eaters.

Each guest or family member takes a quart-size Ziploc, writes their name on it then cracks in two large eggs, plus their choice of "goodies" such as chopped vegetables, herbs, cheeses, meats and seasonings. Remove any air, zip it and shake it up until well combined. The "cook" simply places each person's omelet bag in a large pot of rapid, boiling water for EXACTLY 13 minutes. Out comes a whole set of perfectly cooked, custom omelets for each person. While those are cooking, the cook can make the other side dishes.

Never tried it, but the pictures looked good. The finished omelet had an attractive shape, color and fully-cooked texture.

Not sure if the added expense of Ziploc bags is worth it though. Personally, a non-stick pan and 5 minutes of cooking time works just fine for us.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Hi, mt name is Smoot and I am also a zippered bag junkie. I have four differnt sizes. I love them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                [...]The "cook" simply places each person's omelet bag in a large pot of rapid, boiling water for EXACTLY 13 minutes. Out comes a whole set of perfectly cooked, custom omelets for each person.[...]
                This sounds kinda fun to try just for the heckuvit but...
                Will those bags REALLY hold up to 13 minutes of rapidly boiling water? And, I wonder if there's a similar phenomenon that occurs when boiling plastic as when nuking plastic. Anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                  Will those bags REALLY hold up to 13 minutes of rapidly boiling water? Anyone know?
                  My friend's wife made it according to those exact directions the other day. He said they came out great! Perfect texture and tasted great.

The ZIPLOC® brand seems to have the thickest gauge so I'd stick with that. Buy some generic brand that's really thin and they just might melt.

Or simply play it safe and reduce the heat to medium/medium-high once the bags are in and check for doneness.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Oh poop! I have all the ingredients except...eggs!

Comment

I'll be right over.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

My friend just told me about these omelets last week. How weird to see it here! Did you see it on a cooking show or something?

I think the bags should be fine for boiling. The temperature never gets higher than 212 degrees F. If you microwave, the fats in the food can get much hotter than that and cause the bag to melt or release chemicals into the food.

Comment

Originally posted by alohatim
                          My friend just told me about these omelets last week. How weird to see it here! Did you see it on a cooking show or something?
                          Was an email forward (FWD) from my boss. lol

So I guess as a requirement, my first attempt at making this will have to include SPAM. Get it? SPAM.

Funny you mention the release of chemicals from the plastic.. ZIPLOC's website FAQ seems like most of the inquiries to them involved this concern.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I buy dem zipper bags at the swap meet. Got all the name brands cheap fo $1 to $2 a box (eg Ziploc (50pcs) 1 quart) all the way up to the JUMBO ones. There is even a seller who sells the thick industrial grade ones. I like the Hazmat ones to put my cat poop in.

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek
                              [...]I like the Hazmat ones to put my cat poop in.
                              Ummm...maybe it's time for your cat to visit the vet?!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X