PDA

View Full Version : Confession: Now I'm Using Too Many Zippered Plastic Bags

scrivener
May 8th, 2006, 07:13 AM
We never had these in our house when I was growing up, so they always seemed kinda special, like maybe only rich people had them or something. I don't think I ever got over that feeling that zippered plastic bags were a kind of luxury.

But now I go through them like a madman.

I cook a lot of chicken, and you know what the garbage starts to smell like after just one day. I hate it when my garbage smells like garbage. So I toss the skins and bones and fat-trimmings and gristle and giblets (yes, I toss the giblets) and the packaging the chicken comes in and all those paper towels I use up when I pat the chickens dry into a zippered plastic bag and then toss that into my Star Market plastic bags and tie that up and throw that in the trash can.

Anyone remember Phil Hartman's The Anal-Retentive Chef on SNL? That's what I'm turning into!

Ooh, wait. I just thought of something. Maybe some of those bags I use once for various food-related tasks I can save up just to use for throwing out stuff. Hmmm...

Menehune Man
May 8th, 2006, 07:31 AM
I have to admit that I also use many ziplock bags. We have a large wicker basket full of various snacks. All in different sized bags. I have all my hiking supplies in bags, in my backpack, like each one is a pocket or something. Should I go on? Nah, that's good enough. Whew!

Leo Lakio
May 8th, 2006, 07:44 AM
I've seen that zippered bags are very useful in Hawai`i, not only for the usual reasons but also to keep those crazy tiny ants out of some foods.

You can wash and re-use zippered bags for almost anything, except meat products - once you've had meat in a bag, don't reuse it for other foods - too high a risk of cross-contamination.

But you can use older bags (ones that held meat, or have been reused many times) to seal up potentially stinky items before tossing them into the trash.

tutusue
May 8th, 2006, 10:33 AM
[...]Ooh, wait. I just thought of something. Maybe some of those bags I use once for various food-related tasks I can save up just to use for throwing out stuff. Hmmm...
Good idea! My M.O. is to try to recycle a plastic bag at least twice; more, if possible. Once used, the quart and gallon size plastic bags, zippered or otherwise, become garbage wrappers as I don't throw food type garbage directly into the trash! This cuts way down on the ant and cockroach visits!

craigwatanabe
May 8th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I use the large gallon-size zipper-style zip bags for the cereal. Everytime my kids eat cereal they mangle that stupid plastic inner bag to the point where you can't roll it up inside the box. Within a couple of days either ants get in or humidity turns frosted flakes into oatmeal.

So now I just pour all the cereal into these zip bags and put the bag back in the cereal box. Now the kids have crunchy cereal without having to pick the ants out. :D Then when the box gets empty I go to Safeway and buy the bag of Safeway brand of the same cereal and viola...another box of cereal for half the price of the original.

Pomai
May 8th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Then there's the OMELET IN A BAG, which is claimed to be a great method for large gatherings or families with picky eaters.

Each guest or family member takes a quart-size Ziploc, writes their name on it then cracks in two large eggs, plus their choice of "goodies" such as chopped vegetables, herbs, cheeses, meats and seasonings. Remove any air, zip it and shake it up until well combined. The "cook" simply places each person's omelet bag in a large pot of rapid, boiling water for EXACTLY 13 minutes. Out comes a whole set of perfectly cooked, custom omelets for each person. While those are cooking, the cook can make the other side dishes.

Never tried it, but the pictures looked good. The finished omelet had an attractive shape, color and fully-cooked texture.

Not sure if the added expense of Ziploc bags is worth it though. Personally, a non-stick pan and 5 minutes of cooking time works just fine for us.

smoot
May 13th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Hi, mt name is Smoot and I am also a zippered bag junkie. I have four differnt sizes. I love them.

tutusue
May 13th, 2006, 03:31 PM
[...]The "cook" simply places each person's omelet bag in a large pot of rapid, boiling water for EXACTLY 13 minutes. Out comes a whole set of perfectly cooked, custom omelets for each person.[...]
This sounds kinda fun to try just for the heckuvit but...
Will those bags REALLY hold up to 13 minutes of rapidly boiling water? And, I wonder if there's a similar phenomenon that occurs when boiling plastic as when nuking plastic. Anyone know?

Pomai
May 13th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Will those bags REALLY hold up to 13 minutes of rapidly boiling water? Anyone know?My friend's wife made it according to those exact directions the other day. He said they came out great! Perfect texture and tasted great.

The ZIPLOCŪ brand seems to have the thickest gauge so I'd stick with that. Buy some generic brand that's really thin and they just might melt.

Or simply play it safe and reduce the heat to medium/medium-high once the bags are in and check for doneness.

tutusue
May 13th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Oh poop! I have all the ingredients except...eggs! :o

scrivener
May 13th, 2006, 10:21 PM
I'll be right over.

alohatim
May 14th, 2006, 11:12 AM
My friend just told me about these omelets last week. How weird to see it here! Did you see it on a cooking show or something?

I think the bags should be fine for boiling. The temperature never gets higher than 212 degrees F. If you microwave, the fats in the food can get much hotter than that and cause the bag to melt or release chemicals into the food.

Pomai
May 14th, 2006, 11:19 AM
My friend just told me about these omelets last week. How weird to see it here! Did you see it on a cooking show or something?

Was an email forward (FWD) from my boss. lol

So I guess as a requirement, my first attempt at making this will have to include SPAM. Get it? SPAM. :p

Funny you mention the release of chemicals from the plastic.. ZIPLOC's website FAQ seems like most of the inquiries to them involved this concern.

speedtek
May 14th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I buy dem zipper bags at the swap meet. Got all the name brands cheap fo $1 to $2 a box (eg Ziploc (50pcs) 1 quart) all the way up to the JUMBO ones. There is even a seller who sells the thick industrial grade ones. I like the Hazmat ones to put my cat poop in. :eek:

tutusue
May 14th, 2006, 10:10 PM
[...]I like the Hazmat ones to put my cat poop in. :eek:
Ummm...maybe it's time for your cat to visit the vet?!!!

kaneohegirl
May 15th, 2006, 02:42 AM
I cook a lot of chicken, and you know what the garbage starts to smell like after just one day. I hate it when my garbage smells like garbage.

or you could get a smaller garbage can and take the rubbish out every night, then no smell.
or
when you get your groceries you could ask for plastic and wrap your chicken discards up in that (thinner plastic will degrade fasterI would think)

SouthKona
May 15th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener
I cook a lot of chicken, and you know what the garbage starts to smell like after just one day. I hate it when my garbage smells like garbage

Or, you can use on old plastic sack of any sort (groceries, bread, poi) and place the raw chicken gunk inside, then toss the whole mess into the freezer until rubbish pickup day. If you ever live or visit anywhere where it hits 100 degrees during summer months, you'll soon find that no matter how well you "wrap" the raw chicken scraps, you cannot stop the smell. Nothing like opening your outside rubbish can to toss out the daily trash only to get a whiff of yesterday's raw chicken!

Freeze it until pickup day, then toss it out.

Miulang
May 15th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener
I cook a lot of chicken, and you know what the garbage starts to smell like after just one day. I hate it when my garbage smells like garbage

Or, you can use on old plastic sack of any sort (groceries, bread, poi) and place the raw chicken gunk inside, then toss the whole mess into the freezer until rubbish pickup day. If you ever live or visit anywhere where it hits 100 degrees during summer months, you'll soon find that no matter how well you "wrap" the raw chicken scraps, you cannot stop the smell. Nothing like opening your outside rubbish can to toss out the daily trash only to get a whiff of yesterday's raw chicken!

Freeze it until pickup day, then toss it out.
Or, make stock out of the raw chicken scraps (bones, skin, gizzards, etc) to freeze for another day, then toss the cooked scraps in a plastic bag and then into the garbage. Won't smell as much and will take a whole lot longer to spoil! ;)

Miulang

SusieMisajon
May 15th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Can wash those bags, just throw em inside-out into the machine, along with the rest of the laundry.

tutusue
May 15th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I'll be right over.
I'm still waiting! :rolleyes:

craigwatanabe
May 15th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I use zip-loc bags to store all of my wires and cables. One thing I hate is a drawer full of wires that are tangled together. Computer Mice in each bag, USB cables in another, power adapters, you name it. It makes searching for these items in my gadget/electronic drawer from hell an easier task.

Glen Miyashiro
May 15th, 2006, 10:00 AM
I use zip-loc bags to store all of my wires and cables. One thing I hate is a drawer full of wires that are tangled together. Computer Mice in each bag, USB cables in another, power adapters, you name it. It makes searching for these items in my gadget/electronic drawer from hell an easier task.Oh yeah. I only started doing that a few months ago and what a difference it makes! I used to have a box full of old computer stuff, and it was a mess sorting through the cables and figuring out which power adapter went with which gadget. Now I bag 'em and label 'em with a big sharpie.

pzarquon
May 15th, 2006, 10:11 AM
I'm with you, Scriv. Hell, I'm probably way beyond you.

I'm terribly neurotic about Ziploc bags (or, as Alton calls them generically, "zip top" bags). I live in constant fear of running out, so I'm always buying boxes of them, and thanks to Costco, this basically means we have a full cabinet in the kitchen devoted to storing them, in their multitude of convenient sizes.

Actually, as I think I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm obsessive about storage in general. Rubbermaid bins, Sterilite bins, Tupperware, and Ziploc bags and everything in between. My wife has joked that I'll probably want to be buried in a giant, sealed acrylic container.

For food? Definitely. Of course I try to store all leftovers in Ziploc bags, but I actually store food we haven't even eaten yet in 'em as well. We buy meat by the cubic buttload at Costco, so we separate all the pork chops, chicken thighs and breasts, hamburgers, steaks, etc. into Ziploc bags, label 'em, and freeze 'em. (Don't forget the labeling, as most meats are hard to tell apart when frozen!) I also hate, hate, hate stale food, and in a house full of kids you basically have to expect every box of crackers or cereal is going to be left opened, overturned, under a couch at some point. So as soon as I bring cereal or cookies or crackers home, into a series of Ziploc bags it goes.

And for other stuff? There too. Like Craig and Glenn, I use it for the inevitable "junk bin" to keep cables and gadgets and plugs organized. I just filled up a gallon bag with nothing but remote controls. When I travel? Almost everything is in a Ziploc bag. Recycling used bags for "smelly trash" is a pretty good idea... I just have to allow myself to accumulate a collection of used bags without throwing them away in a huff. :p

Our kids toys end up in Ziploc bags a lot, too, usually the small ones that need to be kept together but don't warrant their own bin. My neuroses actually drive my family nuts sometimes, as I'll often start organizing and sealing up toys as soon as I get home. "The point of toys," my wife has to remind me, "is to be taken out and played with!"

scrivener
May 15th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I use zip-loc bags to store all of my wires and cables. One thing I hate is a drawer full of wires that are tangled together.
Ah, dangit. Why did I never think of this? I'm one of three teachers with official access to the cabinets where we store all manner of cables, but you know how it is with community storage places. Zippered bags might be what we're looking for.

Hellbent
August 10th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I use zip-loc bags to store all of my wires and cables. One thing I hate is a drawer full of wires that are tangled together. Computer Mice in each bag, USB cables in another, power adapters, you name it. It makes searching for these items in my gadget/electronic drawer from hell an easier task.

I am totally stealing that idea.

blueyecicle
August 11th, 2006, 06:28 AM
We use to use ziploc bags to collect agates at the beach here (Oregon). Then I found thes cool zippered bags that our pillowcases come in!

They are re-usable because they are a little sturdier! So now in our beach box we have those instead of throwing them away!!

They zip up and don't break like ziploc's when my 3 year old wants to carry home a 6 inch 3 pound ROCK! :eek:

idvfilms
August 11th, 2006, 08:34 PM
This is why I love the internet.

Erika Engle
August 12th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I'm HOME!!!! :D

I observed years ago to my kids that probably, after I'm long gone and someone asks what their mother was like, they would be likely to say, "she was all about Ziploc bags."

We in this thread are truly kindred spirits -- hello brethren! (and sistren, of course).

I can SO identify with all the points made here ... and I picked up another one or two to further my ... dependency. (The first step is admitting one has a problem, right?)

I was amazed to read the Ziploc-omelette posts and how the bags neither melt, nor supposedly do the plastic/chemicals leach into the food.

I, too, stock up at Costco ... though I'm often disappointed to find they don't have quart size bags, which are quite the necessary intermediate size between sandwich and gallon size.

Ryan -- confession is good for the soul. I read, I empathized, I felt that we'd drawn closer. :rolleyes:

pzarquon
August 12th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I, too, stock up at Costco ... though I'm often disappointed to find they don't have quart size bags, which are quite the necessary intermediate size between sandwich and gallon size.Oh yes they do, or at least they did today at the Waipio Costco. Those are my favorite size! Of course, soon as the wife saw me bring 'em in the door, she said, "What, more?"

So... maybe I forgot we had another "box of boxes" waiting unopened in the closet, where they'd been stored because our "Ziploc bag cupboard" was already full of the other sizes.

Well, now we're really prepared for when the revolution comes!

Psst... Erika... if you need a fix, I think I can help you out... {twitch twitch}

damontucker
August 12th, 2006, 06:00 PM
she said, "What, more?
I think you can never have enough! It's not like they are gonna spoil... and you certainly don't want to run out! (Ok, I guess I'm talking about TP :))

Erika Engle
August 12th, 2006, 07:58 PM
[Psst... Erika... if you need a fix, I think I can help you out... {twitch twitch}]

LOL! Too funny.

What's your number?

:p

craigwatanabe
August 14th, 2006, 12:09 AM
In the novel Lucifer's Hammer, when the end of the world was apparent, this guy removes this book, slips it into a zip loc bag and tosses it into a septic tank (I guess he figured it would survive the impending pillaging by rioting heretics). The book inside the zip loc was "How Things Work" What a great book to kickstart the world again.

hawaiidreamin
September 27th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I thought I was the only one addicted to these things....from putting any liquid/spill potential toiletries, undies, wet swimsuits for travel, they were my original protectors for anything at the beach that I did not want to get wet or sandy, to protecting the cereal inside the box or bags of chips or just about any open food pkg that does not have a storage container- (I aim to avoid visits by the leather jackets)- It's nice to know I am not alone :)

Queenolu
September 27th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I am alllllllll about my zips....... they have them in bulk size at Sams Club and use them to store everything..... love the gallon size for storage of all that meat and greens in the freezer....

love love love my Zips...