Fat Man Walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat Man Walking

A story was published today about a man who walked 3000 miles from his home in Oceanside, California to New York City. He began the journey out of motivation not only to shed some of his 410 lbs. of weight, but as a therapy for severe depression he suffered due to a traffic accident he had 15 years ago. In the end he lost 100 lbs, yet the article didn't mention whether it helped him psychologically. He's been keeping a progress journal on his own website.

I knew a guy who lost about 100 lbs. within one year using a similar type of distance-walking tactic. Except his was a weekly routine instead of on one walking "binge", and distances were in spans of zip codes instead of states. His metabolism improved so greatly, he had no problem maintaining that return to ideal weight.
    Last edited by Pomai; May 10, 2006, 01:27 PM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Fat Man Walking

I lost over 40 pounds simply walking everyday with some walks 8 to 20 miles.

I have completed 2 Marathons and many 10K, 20K, 30K races.

I've been doing this for just 2 years and it has greatly increased my metabolism, now I am actively running about 30 miles a week, when I train for marathin I will walk/run average of 70 miles a week.

I think I could easily walk across America, but admit it is harder being 400 some pounds to start with like he is. So what he has done is very impressive.

KalihiBoy

Comment

I thought this thread was about to bash us big people.

Walking had done wonders for me, as my legs turned from fat to muscle (fat muscles, but muscles none the less). If I had the opportunity, then I'd walk around the island, or even a quarter of the mainland.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I am very impressed by what he had acomplished, I have to give these old shoes of mine some mileage too. If he can do it I can do it!
        A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          [...]yet the article didn't mention whether it helped him psychologically. [...]
          He mentioned on The Today Show this morning that it did help him.

Comment

Working...
          X