• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tolkien Course At HCC This Fall

I came across this at OneRing.net:
    5-09-06 Latest News

Tolkien Course at Honolulu Community College
    Xoanon @ 10:22 am EST

LeiLani Hinds writes: I've been a daily visitor to your website for the past four years, love the films, and today have a piece of news that your readers might be interested in.

I am an English professor who has been a huge Tolkien fan since 1967, and this fall I will be teaching a course on Tolkien for the first time at my college, Honolulu Community College in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Students can earn 3 credits of transfer-level college credit for taking English 257L J. R. R. Tolkien. The course will focus on The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, with parts of The Silmarillion brought in to provide background for a fuller understanding of The Lord of the Rings. We will look at Tolkien's themes, characters, images, and symbols and see how his childhood, his interests in languages and Anglo-Saxon England, his wartime experiences, and significant cultural and historical events of the twentieth century contributed to creating his masterpiece.
    Sounds pretty interesting to me, too bad I live in Hilo. More info at this link .
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Tolkien Course At HCC This Fall

Great. I'll come dressed as Gollum.

Hopefully that will work around my Star Trek 101 class. I'll need time to change out of my Clingon costume.

Jokes aside, I wouldn't doubt the teacher might ask students if they'd like to have a day of make-believe where students come in costume and play parts of the story.
    Last edited by Pomai; May 12, 2006, 01:00 PM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Wow! Now that's a classy class. Dibs: I'm Frodo!
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Haha I knew it. As soon as I saw "Tolkien" and "HCC" I knew Hinds had something to do with it. She's utterly obsessed with Tolkien and makes no secret of it. Her office is crazy full of LOTR stuff, it's freaking awesome. In fact, she was browsing OneRing.net when I once visited her office. Best English teacher I've ever had, for serious. I would consider registering for that if it weren't an English class though, me no actually likie English class :x
        myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

That's insane. I'm not a huge fan, but I'm actually willing to endure the city bus rides to HCC to take that course. Has anyone heard of this being done before? I'm sure it has.
          Come On Pelican! - http://www.comeonpelican.com/

Comment

Working...
          X