PDA

View Full Version : Name That Food

Pomai
May 12th, 2006, 04:37 PM
This food item works almost as good for clearing your sinus as it does for your taste buds. A combination of the colors BLUE and YELLOW make up what color this item is.

A very popular ring-shaped snack food in the US recently added this as a flavor to their product line.

Its name was also used a catch-phrase in a popular television commercial.

Name that food!

glossyp
May 12th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Too easy! That's wasabi.

Pomai
May 12th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I knew it.. too many obvious clues. Have some sashimi for that!

Next...

One of the primary ingredients in this dish uses a vegetable that is sometimes grown in pondfields. The other key ingredient is commonly seen on post cards of Hawaii. In traditional form, this dish is meatless. This dish is native to a group of islands that include one which is a territory of the U.S..

Name that food!

Adri
May 13th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Lau lau?

Wow, my message (the first line of this post) was too short? I got a window asking me to add more characters so I did :p

Pomai
May 13th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Lau lau?Close. But no.

It starts with P and ends with I. But it's NOT POI.

Pomai
May 13th, 2006, 08:05 AM
the answer to that last one was PALUSAMI.

Next...

Part of the name of this dish is commonly used in storage warehouse facilities.
It's key ingredient is often produced in New Zealand. The traditional French method of preparing it is with Dijon Mustard, Rosemary and Mint Jelly.

Name that food!

lurkah
May 13th, 2006, 08:06 AM
It starts with P and ends with I. But it's NOT POI.

Palusami (adding more letters because my answer was too short)?

Pomai
May 13th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Lau lau?

Wow, my message (the first line of this post) was too short? I got a window asking me to add more characters so I did :p

You could have said "Wow, Lau Lau". That might have been enough. :p

Miulang
May 13th, 2006, 08:12 AM
the answer to that last one was PALUSAMI.

Next...

Part of the name of this dish is commonly used in storage warehouse facilities.
It's key ingredient is often produced in New Zealand. The traditional French method of preparing it is with Dijon Mustard, Rosemary and Mint Jelly.

Name that food!
Rack of lamb? (Yummy!)

Miulang

Pomai
May 13th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Miulang, have a serving of garlic mashed potato and buttered Asparagus with that. That's it!

Next...

This hybrid seems like it fell into a can of processed pork glazed in Teriyaki, then got wrapped with black.

Name that food!

Adri
May 13th, 2006, 10:41 AM
You could have said "Wow, Lau Lau". That might have been enough. :p

hee! It would have been. I needed 10 characters :p

glossyp
May 13th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Next...

This hybrid seems like it fell into a can of processed pork glazed in Teriyaki, then got wrapped with black.

Name that food!

SPAM Musubi

Pomai
May 13th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Spam Musubi it is! Another easy one.

1.) This "windy" hybrid can be made in a microwave, stove or specialized cooker. It's sprinkled with a seasoning that was originally intended to go on a food item that is very popular in Hawaii.

2.) This odd-yet-tasty hybrid uses a very popular asian sauce, another highly acidic liquid and green or sem-ripe seasonal fruit that is cut into bite-size pieces.

3.) This hybrid was served at a popular local restaurant that has recently closed. It's usually "hot", but in this case it requires an iron to make it (how's that for paradox).

Name those foods!

glossyp
May 13th, 2006, 04:07 PM
1) Typhoon popcorn

2) sounds like pickled papaya or mango not sure on this one

3) waffle dog

1stwahine
May 13th, 2006, 04:13 PM
3. Fabio! :p Nah, nah, Joke!!!! Waffle Hot Dog like "glossyp" said! :D

Auntie pUpule ;)

Wat? I bored!!!! :eek:

Pomai
May 13th, 2006, 04:39 PM
1) Typhoon popcorn

2) sounds like pickled papaya or mango not sure on this one

3) waffle dog

1.) Close, but you're in the wrong region of the Pacific.

2.) Close, but pickling usually only has raw ingredients. Not any type of prepared sauce as mentioned.

3.) Waffle Dog it is. Last I heard the owners were going to license someone to manufacture it for market distribution. I think it was Golden Coin. Anyone know the scoop on that?

Miulang
May 13th, 2006, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=Pomai]1.) Close, but you're in the wrong region of the Pacific.

Tsunami spin popcorn

Pomai
May 13th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Tsunami? Typhoon? You folks are killing me already! :confused: :eek: :D

It's HURRICANE POPCORN. How long have you folks lived off island? That's been the universal name used locally for this concoction for decades now. It's even a trademarked brand (http://a1.solidweb.com/ps/hipopcornco/customer.nsf/frm_frameset?readform&Body=/catalog.nsf/vw_Front_Page/frm_Front_Page?OpenDocument) .

The unique flavor of popcorn, combined with Mochi Crunch, Furikake and hint of sweet, salty and buttery flavors just melts in the mouth.

Answer to the second question is SHOYU MANGO. A simple mixture of equal parts shoyu, vinegar and sliced semi-ripe or green mango. But I can understand the confusion, as it's very close in ingredients to pickled mango.

Your guys turn. Formulate some Name that Food questions.

glossyp
May 13th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Tsunami? Typhoon? You folks are killing me already! :confused: :eek: :D

It's HURRICANE POPCORN. How long have you folks lived off island? That's been the universal name used locally for this concoction for decades now. It's even a trademarked brand (http://a1.solidweb.com/ps/hipopcornco/customer.nsf/frm_frameset?readform&Body=/catalog.nsf/vw_Front_Page/frm_Front_Page?OpenDocument) .

The unique flavor of popcorn, combined with Mochi Crunch, Furikake and hint of sweet, salty and buttery flavors just melts in the mouth.

Answer to the second question is SHOYU MANGO. A simple mixture of equal parts shoyu, vinegar and sliced semi-ripe or green mango. But I can understand the confusion, as it's very close in ingredients to pickled mango.

Your guys turn. Formulate some Name that Food questions.

I only remembered the name "Typhoon." I see that Typhoon is the sour cream/chive version.

I don't want to think up questions! That's the hard part - besides you're doing so well! :D

glossyp
May 13th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Here's one:

Some people think I'm bland and boring but that is usually because they have only tried the version made from a store-bought mix or canned product. When I'm made with my main ingredient from a fresh source, I'm very tasty. I'm a traditional Hawaiian food.

Edited to add a clue.

Miulang
May 13th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Here's one:

Some people think I'm bland and boring but that is usually because they have only tried the version made from a store-bought mix or canned product. When I'm made with my main ingredient from a fresh source, I'm very tasty. I'm a traditional Hawaiian food.

Edited to add a clue.
Is it haupia?

Pomai
May 13th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Here's one:

Edited to add a clue.You're not talking about POI are you? I never ever seen it in dehydrated or canned form (http://www.poico.com/artman/publish/article_20.php?comment_id=article_20.php&comment_page=show_all) sold locally. Unless I just wasn't looking for it. Strictly fresh from the local Costco produce section at 10:30am sharp! ;)

glossyp
May 14th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Is it haupia?

Correct! Sorry to take so long in getting back to the forum.

Miulang
May 14th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Here's an easy one: what are the local equivalents of a French beignet. One you can find at many bakeries and at school carnivals and the other normally would be made at home? Both of these products originally came from different countries.

Miulang

Surfingfarmboy
May 14th, 2006, 08:58 AM
O.K. I'll give this thread a shot with a question that should be fairly easy for most anyone familiar with Hawaii to get:

This tasty confection, marketed by a company based in Los Angeles, proclaims itself as "Hawaii's Favorite". What is it?

Surfingfarmboy
May 14th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Here's an easy one: what are the local equivalents of a French beignet. One you can find at many bakeries and at school carnivals and the other normally would be made at home? Both of these products originally came from different countries.

Miulang

I have to go with first, the obvious answer, which would be malassadas. The second part of the answer? Not sure. I'll say it's andagi...the Okinawa doughnut that I see sold for a buck at Aloha Stadium during football games.

Miulang
May 14th, 2006, 09:17 AM
I have to go with first, the obvious answer, which would be malassadas. The second part of the answer? Not sure. I'll say it's andagi...the Okinawa doughnut that I see sold for a buck at Aloha Stadium during football games.
Correct on both counts :) !

Miulang

Miulang
May 14th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Got one that's a little more difficult: there's a local food very similar to dinaguan (Filipino blood stew) but I don't think it's Filipino. It may have been derived from dinaguan (there was an old Chinese man who owned a neighborhood grocery store who made this dish and very onolicious tripe stew) because some of the ingredients are similar. Its name sounds like a very ubiquitous local dish that has hamburger in it, but it's not spelled the same. What the heck is it? :)

Miulang

lurkah
May 14th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Its name sounds like a very ubiquitous local dish that has hamburger in it, but it's not spelled the same. What the heck is it? :)

Ubiquitous? Ho, I bet you live mainland, yeah? :p Must be something that sounds like loco moco?

Pomai
May 14th, 2006, 10:00 AM
GlossyP, I've never seen canned Haupia either. Does that exist on the mainland?

Regarding the Malasada, of course we all know that originated from Portugal.

In the early 90's, former Pres. Bill Clinton made a stop at the Okinawan festival and sampled some Andagi. My fav' is the ANDADOG!

Surfingfarmboy, you got me. The only product from the mainland who should have the RIGHT to use "Hawaii's Favorite" as their slogan would be SPAM.

Finally, Dinuguan.. yummy! I like the "soupy" version. Not the dry 'kine. Bautista's in the Wakiki International Market Place (also located in Pearlridge) has killer Dinuguan!

Miulang, I've never heard of the other variation that you mention. Is the name a spin on "Loco Moco"? Long shot. The only other local delicacy I can think of with pig's blood is BLOOD SAUSAGE from Hilo.

Surfingfarmboy
May 14th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Surfingfarmboy, you got me. The only product from the mainland who should have the RIGHT to use "Hawaii's Favorite" as their slogan would be SPAM.

Hint: It's marketed by a mainland company. For all I know, it may be actually be made in Hawai'i. One more hint: "Hawaii's Favorite" is printed on the package it is sold in.

Pomai
May 14th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Another giveaway...

This makes Vidalia, Texas and the Valley Isle oh, so SWEET.

Surfingfarmboy
May 14th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Another giveaway...

This makes Vidalia, Texas and the Valley Isle oh, so SWEET.

I've had sweet onions from both Vidalia, Georgia (onion growers in that area have a trademark right to the name "Vidalia Onion") and Maui. I didn't know Texas grew the sweet varieties as well; generally speaking, Texas grows the the really hot ones that make 'ya cry when you cut them.

lurkah
May 14th, 2006, 10:27 AM
This tasty confection, marketed by a company based in Los Angeles, proclaims itself as "Hawaii's Favorite". What is it?

King's Bakery sweet bread?

Pomai
May 14th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Heard about that on a Food Network show showcasing the Onion. It's called the Texas SpringSweet and Texas 1015 SuperSweet (http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/recipes/onion/sweettalk.html).

This could be your "Rhode" to wealth and fame... Surfingfarmboy's RHODE TO SWEET ONION!

Surfingfarmboy
May 14th, 2006, 10:33 AM
King's Bakery sweet bread?

The "tasty confection" I'm looking for, marketed by the Christopher Candy Co. of Los Angeles, is none other than: the "Good News" bar..the chocolate/peanut/caramel candy bar, which can be found at most Long's, Pricebusters, and mom & pop corner stores, for around 50-55 cents. It's sold in the red mylar wrapping, with "Good News" and "Hawaii's Favorite" printed in yellow and silver. (The "Hawaii's Favorite" part is in a yellow exclamation-type jagged balloon) The only place I've ever seen this candy sold is in Hawai'i!

Surfingfarmboy
May 14th, 2006, 10:43 AM
This could be your "Rhode" to wealth and fame... Surfingfarmboy's RHODE TO SWEET ONION!

Yep..that's news to me about the Texas "sweet" onion crop. Around here, all we get are the Vidialia in the sweet onion department. Right now, the Vidalias are in season...the first one came to market here about two weeks ago, and they can be had for about 99 cents a pound. I don't think Vidalias are all that sweet though in comparison to Maui's crop; I think Maui onions beat Vidalias big time. But now, I'm curious about the Texas ones...I doubt I can get any here, but I do appreciate the link with info on them!

scrivener
May 14th, 2006, 10:46 AM
This disgusting candy is basically the inside of a Butterfinger, but rolled in toasted coconut rather than dipped in chocolate. It's awful.

Surfingfarmboy
May 14th, 2006, 10:48 AM
This disgusting candy is basically the inside of a Butterfinger, but rolled in toasted coconut rather than dipped in chocolate. It's awful.

The Zagnut bar. Is it still around?

scrivener
May 14th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Oooh...that's not what I was thinking of, but yeah, I think it is still around.

Miulang
May 14th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Ubiquitous? Ho, I bet you live mainland, yeah? :p Must be something that sounds like loco moco?
Yeah, but what is it? I dunno if many peeps in Hawai'i ever heard of it, but I know it exists in areas where EVERYTHING from a pig is used! :) And it was "invented" way before loco moco was.

Miulang

Pomai
May 14th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Scrivener, is that candy you're talking about called CHICK-O-STICK?

Bleck.. how I HATE Butterfingers. That weird peanut butter crap in it is aweful. Nothing beats the REESES Peanut Butter Cup.

Miulang, what else is in that "Chinese Pig's Blood" dish? Tofu? Stir Fry Vegetables?

Miulang
May 14th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Miulang, what else is in that "Chinese Pig's Blood" dish? Tofu? Stir Fry Vegetables?
As far as I can remember, it was chopped up "chitterlings", blood, and a few spices (maybe Chinese 5-spice) but no vinegar or chili peppers. It had a kind of maroonish-brownish "sauce" and actually was very tasty.

Miulang

glossyp
May 14th, 2006, 01:28 PM
GlossyP, I've never seen canned Haupia either. Does that exist on the mainland?

I was referring to the use of canned coconut milk rather than fresh in the preparation.

Lei K
May 14th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Scrivener, is that candy you're talking about called CHICK-O-STICK?

Bleck.. how I HATE Butterfingers. That weird peanut butter crap in it is aweful. Nothing beats the REESES Peanut Butter Cup.

Wow, I thought I was the only person in this world who HATES Butterfingers! It's the candybar of choice for almost all of those around me. They make me feel like such an outcast. :p

Chick-o-sticks are popular around these parts too, it seems.

Miulang
May 14th, 2006, 03:09 PM
What is the name of the elongated version of a bismark? Kanemitsu Bakery on Moloka'i and Komoda Bakery on Maui both make very onolicious versions!

Miulang

tutusue
May 14th, 2006, 03:16 PM
This food started out red, is currently brown and has been in the back of Manoa's fridge since the HT picnic. :D

Miulang
May 14th, 2006, 03:19 PM
This food started out red, is currently brown and has been in the back of Manoa's fridge since the HT picnic. :D
Can of leftover petrified tomato sauce

Pomai
May 14th, 2006, 03:23 PM
What is the name of the elongated version of a bismark? Kanemitsu Bakery on Moloka'i and Komoda Bakery on Maui both make very onolicious versions!

Long John

What foreign bakery chain recently opened on Oahu that's famous for their "Choux Creme"?

lavagal
May 14th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Long John

What foreign bakery chain recently opened on Oahu that's famous for their cream puffs?

Beard Papa's . Dangerous. Green tea or bust.

Miulang
May 14th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Another one: name the confectionary bar that is produced locally in the following flavors: Chocolate, Macadamia Nuts, Chewy Banana; Chocolate, Kona Coffee, Caramel; White Chocolate,Dark Chocolate, Raspberry Crunch (my favorite!);Milk Chocolate, Hawaiian Macadamia Nut; Chocolate, Maui's Kaanapali Estate Coffee, Toffee; Chocolate, Hawaiian Coconut; and Kava Chocolate Bar? It is only distributed in Hawai'i (but can be ordered via mailorder and shipped anywhere) and is most easily found in places like Hilo Hattie, ABC Store, etc.

Miulang

tutusue
May 14th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Can of leftover petrified tomato sauce
Right you are! Hey, Manoa...send it to Miulang as her prize! :D

Pomai
May 14th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Regarding Miulang's last question..
http://www.mauiwowwee.com/candy.html

This product is made in a little bakery on Oahu's north shore. It's sold in supermarkets all over Oahu and comes in several exotic flavors such as Macadamia Nut and Haupia.

Miulang
May 14th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Regarding Miulang's last question..
http://www.mauiwowwee.com/candy.html

This product is made in a little bakery on Oahu's north shore. It's sold in supermarkets all over Oahu and comes in several exotic flavors such as Macadamia Nut and Haupia.
Pies from Ted's Bakery?

Miulang

P.S. Still looking for the name of an elongated bismark. Another hint: another name for a kind of undergarment. :D

Miulang
May 14th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Long John

Correct! :)

Miulang
May 14th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Which local dish requires pork with lots of fat on it, and taro that is very hard to find anywhere but in Hawai'i restaurants?

Miulang

Pomai
May 14th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Ted's Bakery is correct.

Your last question sounds like Lau Lau, but the difficulty of finding the taro you mention makes me think otherwise.

Miulang
May 14th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Ted's Bakery is correct.

Your last question sounds like Lau Lau, but the difficulty of finding the taro you mention makes me think otherwise.
No, it's not laulau. Believe it or not, I can get laulaus up here, but I can't seem to find places that serve this other succulent dish up here! I've seen recipes for this dish that say to use potatoes as a taro replacement, but it just wouldn't taste the same...Another hint: red bean curd is another ingredient.

Miulang

wowlaulau
May 15th, 2006, 01:37 AM
No, it's not laulau. Believe it or not, I can get laulaus up here, but I can't seem to find places that serve this other succulent dish up here! I've seen recipes for this dish that say to use potatoes as a taro replacement, but it just wouldn't taste the same...Another hint: red bean curd is another ingredient.

Miulang

You must be talking about my favorite dish...Kau Yuk and taro! But I don't know what the official name is though.

Miulang
May 15th, 2006, 05:38 AM
You must be talking about my favorite dish...Kau Yuk and taro! But I don't know what the official name is though.
Good going, wowlaulau! :)

Miulang

Miulang
May 16th, 2006, 11:15 AM
What food, manufactured on the Big Island, has a name that sounds similar to a Chinese appetizer?

Miulang

Glen Miyashiro
May 16th, 2006, 11:23 AM
What food, manufactured on the Big Island, has a name that sounds similar to a Chinese appetizer?One Ton Pi Chips (http://www.one-ton.com/index.php), from Maebo Noodle Factory.

Leo Lakio
May 16th, 2006, 11:35 AM
I think Maui onions beat Vidalias big time. But now, I'm curious about the Texas ones.And don't forget Washington State's own Walla Walla sweet onions.

Leo Lakio
May 16th, 2006, 11:45 AM
what are the local equivalents of a French beignet. One you can find at many bakeries and at school carnivals and the other normally would be made at home? Both of these products originally came from different countries.Miulang, have you had the beignets from the little cafe in Seattle Center's Center House? Made from choux pastry, which has a high water content that causes them to puff up, it's the same dough used to make eclairs. They are generally lighter than most malassada and andagi doughs.

Leo Lakio
May 16th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Regarding the Malasada, of course we all know that originated from Portugal.More specifically, the Azores. From "The History of Fried Dough" ---
São Miguel in the Azores is credited with being the ancestral home of the Hawaiian malassada. The Portuguese likely brought the recipe with them when they colonized the Madeira Islands around 1420 and later the Azores. It is on the island of São Miguel that the term name malassada seems to first appear. The other islands in the Azores called them filhós.

LocoBoy
May 16th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Name dis food: These delectable delights have meat or vegetable stuffed inside a little case. :)

Miulang
May 16th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Miulang, have you had the beignets from the little cafe in Seattle Center's Center House? Made from choux pastry, which has a high water content that causes them to puff up, it's the same dough used to make eclairs. They are generally lighter than most malassada and andagi doughs.
Yeah, I have (and gotten all the powdered sugar all over my clothes, too). The dry dough mix they use is from Cafe du Monde, which is where the original beignets are fried up in the millions in NO, served with hot chicory coffee.

Miulang

Miulang
May 16th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Name dis food: These delectable delights have meat or vegetable stuffed inside a little case. :)
empanadas,potsickers, samosas?

Glen Miyashiro
May 16th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Name dis food: These delectable delights have meat or vegetable stuffed inside a little case. :)Gyoza? Shu mai? Lumpia?

Everybody stuffs food inside little cases! :D

Pomai
May 16th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by LocoBoy
Name dis food: These delectable delights have meat or vegetable stuffed inside a little case.
empanadas,potsickers, samosas?Or...
Gyoza, Shumai or Wonton?

oggboy
May 16th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Stuffed Cabbage, Stuffed Aburage, Stuffed Tofu............
I the Winna Yeah???? :D OGGBOY :D

Moto
May 16th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Manapua? Mai tai siu? springrolls?

Miulang
May 16th, 2006, 07:39 PM
One Ton Pi Chips (http://www.one-ton.com/index.php), from Maebo Noodle Factory.
Correct! I was so scared that they would never rebuild the factory when it burned down a couple of years ago, but thank god they started up again after only a few months and I can still get my One Ton Pi fix! :)

Miulang

Pomai
May 16th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Those One-Ton Chips are great as a topping on a chicken salad with oriental sesame dressing.

They have that perfect salty-sweet-deep fried crunch. Love the stuff!

LocoBoy
May 17th, 2006, 06:37 AM
posted by Miulang

empanadas,potsickers, samosas?

:D All great answers everyone, but I'm looking for a specific kind. Back wen we were keikis, used to get um from da "Manapua Man's" wagon/van. Think in terms of our ocean tides :p . G/L

lurkah
May 17th, 2006, 06:59 AM
:D All great answers everyone, but I'm looking for a specific kind. Back wen we were keikis, used to get um from da "Manapua Man's" wagon/van. Think in terms of our ocean tides :p . G/L

You talking about da half-moons? Ho, I like grine dem buggahs along with pepeiaos.

LocoBoy
May 17th, 2006, 11:36 AM
We have a winna!! Right On lurkah :D

Pomai
May 20th, 2006, 09:03 AM
This starch dish is commonly found at local Okazuya shops. It's Chinese in origin and the keywords are it's: "FUN" to "EAT".

Almost a giveaway. ;)

Moto
May 20th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Would that be Chow Fun??

Pomai
May 20th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Moto, that's it... and the king of Okazuya Chow Fun is St. Louis Deli, next to St. Louis Drive Inn on Waialae. The perfect, simple, no-frills Chow Fun.

Miulang, we're still waiting on whatever the name is of that Chinese Pigs Blood dish you had in question. I even asked an elderly aunt who's mother is FROM CHINA and she never heard of it. :confused:

wowlaulau
May 21st, 2006, 02:16 AM
Yeah, I have (and gotten all the powdered sugar all over my clothes, too). The dry dough mix they use is from Cafe du Monde, which is where the original beignets are fried up in the millions in NO, served with hot chicory coffee.

Miulang

Hey, I've seen that brand Cafe du Monde Beignets at Poke Stop in Waipahu. Never tried them though, so what does it taste like....

Miulang
June 1st, 2006, 05:19 PM
Hey, I've seen that brand Cafe du Monde Beignets at Poke Stop in Waipahu. Never tried them though, so what does it taste like....
They taste exactly like malasadas, except for beignets you traditionally dust them with lots of powdered sugar instead of the granulated sugar (and sometimes with a dash of cinnamon to go with the granulated sugar).

Miulang

Miulang
June 1st, 2006, 05:22 PM
Miulang, we're still waiting on whatever the name is of that Chinese Pigs Blood dish you had in question. I even asked an elderly aunt who's mother is FROM CHINA and she never heard of it. :confused:
Sorry, Moto, I was kinda incommunicado on Maui for a couple of weeks. Mr. Lau (the guy who used to run the neighborhood grocery where we bought it) called it "loko" as opposed to "loco moco" which it clearly wasn't. I think it was probably a derivative of dinaguan (the Filipino blood stew) without the vinegar and the chilipeppers.

Miulang

Moto
June 2nd, 2006, 05:36 AM
Sorry, Moto, I was kinda incommunicado on Maui for a couple of weeks. Mr. Lau (the guy who used to run the neighborhood grocery where we bought it) called it "loko" as opposed to "loco moco" which it clearly wasn't. I think it was probably a derivative of dinaguan (the Filipino blood stew) without the vinegar and the chilipeppers.

Miulang

Pomai asked for the answer, however, thanks for the answer. I was wondering too.

Surfingfarmboy
June 3rd, 2006, 05:24 AM
Okay. Here's one that should answered in a relatively short period of time; these snacks are seen for sale everywhere in Oahu, especially at Long's in the crackseed aisle.

The snack: They are sold by a local Honolulu entity in predominately red cellophane hanging pegboard bags, and look similar to miniature Italian cannolis. They are a senbei based snack that are rather delicate. What is their brand name?

Miulang
June 3rd, 2006, 08:53 AM
Okay. Here's one that should answered in a relatively short period of time; these snacks are seen for sale everywhere in Oahu, especially at Long's in the crackseed aisle.

The snack: They are sold by a local Honolulu entity in predominately red cellophane hanging pegboard bags, and look similar to miniature Italian cannolis. They are a senbei based snack that are rather delicate. What is their brand name?
Hawaii Candy "wafers"?

Miulang

Pomai
June 17th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I'm with Miulang's answer on SurfingFarmBoy's question.

Next..

This ethnic delicacy is horrible to look at when cracked open, with ugly black veins and and an innocent eye that seems to stare at you. It was featured on the hit show, FEAR FACTOR.

Give it a dash of salt and eat it quick with a brave spirit, and it can taste as good as a hearty comfort soup.

Name that food.

lurkah
June 17th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Name that food.

Is it balut?

Surfingfarmboy
June 18th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Hawaii Candy "wafers"?

Miulang

E kala mai....I forgot I had a question posted on this thread. Your answer (along with Pomai's) is really close..the answer is "Waf-O-Rolls", made by the same company you mentioned, Hawaii Candy...the distributors of those pink and yellow coconut balls. Waf-O-Rolls and the little disk wafers (they look like little pancakes) are essentially identical in composition; I believe the little wafers though have black seseme baked into them, whereas the Waf-O-Rolls (I think) are pure, no seseme added senbei, rolled into a small cannoli-shaped snack.

wowlaulau
October 20th, 2006, 02:50 AM
I'm with Miulang's answer on SurfingFarmBoy's question.

Next..

This ethnic delicacy is horrible to look at when cracked open, with ugly black veins and and an innocent eye that seems to stare at you. It was featured on the hit show, FEAR FACTOR.

Give it a dash of salt and eat it quick with a brave spirit, and it can taste as good as a hearty comfort soup.

Name that food.

So is it balut?

Pomai
September 7th, 2007, 05:46 PM
WowLauLau, yeah, the answer to that one was Balut. Easy.

These were served today at a going-away party for someone in our office. What are they (the specific name), and where are they from?....

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1060/1343993063_240e9c7cdf.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1343993063&size=m)

;)

oggboy
September 7th, 2007, 06:25 PM
WOW, dat look so ONO!!!!! Wea dis from????:rolleyes:
OGGBOY

Pomai
September 7th, 2007, 06:34 PM
WOW, dat look so ONO!!!!! Wea dis from????:rolleyes:
OGGBOYThey're not from Maui, although I believe you can get something similar to it there.

Again..

These were served today at a going-away party for someone in our office. What are they (the specific name), and where are they from?....

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1060/1343993063_240e9c7cdf.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1343993063&size=m)

Mike_Lowery
September 7th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Liliha Bakery's cocoa puffs!

Pomai
September 7th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Liliha Bakery's cocoa puffs!Roger that!

Coco Puffs from Liliha Bakery. IIRC, they're currently 85 cents each.

Here's a pretty good macro I got of one today...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1312/1345206590_ac080f38e6.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1345206590&size=m)
Coco Puff from Liliha Bakery

It's a choux pastry (the "Puff") filled with chocolate pudding (the "Coco") and a buttery-sweet Chantilly frosting on top.

Actually I find the Chantilly too rich, overpowering and quantity-wise too much, so I scrape most of it off. Then it's perfect. ;)

K, next.

What is this and who makes it?...

http://www.96seven44.com/images/onetonchips_chips.jpg

Surfingfarmboy
September 8th, 2007, 12:01 AM
In response to post #95 above:

Those are One-Ton Chips, made by the Maebo Noodle Factory, in Hilo, on my home island, the Big Island!!

Pomai
September 8th, 2007, 09:07 AM
In response to post #95 above:

Those are One-Ton Chips, made by the Maebo Noodle Factory, in Hilo, on my home island, the Big Island!!Roger that. They're the BEST topping on an Oriental Salad.

K, next.

What is the name of the restaurant that sports this mural on their walls?...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1339/1347046733_9709808269_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1347046733&size=o)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1250/1347936154_48c031f447_o.jpg

tikiyaki
September 8th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Roger that. They're the BEST topping on an Oriental Salad.

K, next.

What is the name of the restaurant that sports this mural on their walls?...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1339/1347046733_9709808269_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1347046733&size=o)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1250/1347936154_48c031f447_o.jpg

Isnt that, that 50's place in Kings' Plaza (not sure about the name) in Waikiki ?

Pomai
September 8th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Isnt that, that 50's place in Kings' Plaza (not sure about the name) in Waikiki ?Nope. But you're in the right area!

Tiki, I'll call you some time this weekend. Got your message a while back.

glossyp
September 8th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I believe the mural is at Teddy's Bigger Burgers.

Another tasty use for one-ton chips is for scooping up poke. Sounds weird, but it is really delicious. I have converted many to this unique "chip & dip" combo.

Pomai
September 8th, 2007, 11:51 AM
I believe the mural is at Teddy's Bigger Burgers.Roger that. Isn't that mural pretty cool? Dig how they incorporated the names of the waikiki surf breaks.

Another tasty use for one-ton chips is for scooping up poke. Sounds weird, but it is really delicious. I have converted many to this unique "chip & dip" combo.I'm gonna' have to take you up on that! Never heard of it, but I'll take your word for it.. you.. you.. you FOODIE you!

This is giving me all kinds of creative thoughts.... like how about taking (raw) ahi poke and wrapping it in a wonton wrapper and sealing it, then deep-fry it quickly to crisp it. Then just as you pull it out, you dash just a little salt and just a tid-tat of sugar for flavor contrast. Hopefully the Ahi poke inside will remain mostly raw. I bet that would ROCK! ;)

K, next.

What NEW Oahu restaurant sports these whimsical props in their establishment?...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1072/1348391250_4046a295ba_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1348391250&size=o)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1073/1347498227_4638e27d12_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1347498227&size=o)
Good gosh... if Bruce Lee were alive, I wonder HE'd have to say about this? lol

cynsaligia
September 8th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Another tasty use for one-ton chips is for scooping up poke. Sounds weird, but it is really delicious. I have converted many to this unique "chip & dip" combo.

right on! eric and i do that, too! well, sorta. we sometimes eat garden of eatin's organic black bean tortilla chips (http://www.gardenofeatin.com/products/product/1047.php) with our poke, esp if it's the jalapeno ahi poke from tamura's.

*hungry*

cynsaligia
September 8th, 2007, 11:58 AM
This is giving me all kinds of creative thoughts.... like how about taking (raw) ahi poke and wrapping it in a wonton wrapper and sealing it, then deep-fry it quickly to crisp it. Then just as you pull it out, you dash just a little salt and just a tid-tat of sugar for flavor contrast. Hopefully the Ahi poke inside will remain mostly raw. I bet that would ROCK! ;)

alan wong already does something like this with his "poki pines". he takes a ball of ahi poke, places it on a won ton sheet and closes the won ton package. he then cuts into the won ton above the poke so that when they fry, they fan out. it's one of his appetizers, and we had the pleasure of eating it when i took eric to alan wong's for his birthday last month. full menu for that meal is in the what's for dinner thread, but i'll paste the poki pines description here:

"Poki-Pines”
Crispy Won Ton Ahi Poke Balls on Avocado with Wasabi Sauce
$15.00

oh, and the fish does remain quite raw. i imagine you'd have to make sure the oil is at the exact temperature that's hot enough to fry the won ton to gbd and keep the poki pines in only long enough to get the shell to that state. any longer, and the fish inside would cook.

Pomai
September 8th, 2007, 12:07 PM
alan wong already does something like this with his "poki pines". he takes a ball of ahi poke, places it on a won ton sheet and closes the won ton package. he then cuts into the won ton above the poke so that when they fry, they fan out. it's one of his appetizers, and we had the pleasure of eating it when i took eric to alan wong's for his birthday last month:

"Poki-Pines”
Crispy Won Ton Ahi Poke Balls on Avocado with Wasabi Sauce
$15.00I had a feeling that idea was already taken. lol Sounds ono! At least if I make it at home, it will cost me considerably less than that. :p

At a birthday party I recently attended at Washington Place (the Gov's mansion), Alan Wong was the caterer, where he served this Kalua Pig with Guacamole topping on Wonton appetizer...

http://www.96seven44.com/images/nalani75_kaluapigwontons.jpg

Ono to da' max!

glossyp
September 8th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Now I am really hungry! Must go out in search of some poke. The jalapeno chip with poke sounds very good.

Those props can only be from Senor Frog's - an inflatable shark with a bottle of tequila was the giveaway!

Pomai
September 9th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Those props can only be from Senor Frog's - an inflatable shark with a bottle of tequila was the giveaway!Here, have a shot of Tequila... you are correct!

That shark, like all the rest of the props, aren't inflatable, but are painted fiberglass castings.

Here's the elevator in front of the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center (still under renovations) that goes to Señor Frog's...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1289/1350922000_8eb1b5fc02_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1350922000&size=o)

To remind patrons of Señor Frog's "wet 'n wild" theme, these "Booty Tubes" hang from the entrance' ceiling...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1085/1350032605_d81c4d49d2.jpg

Pomai
December 22nd, 2007, 08:25 AM
Identify which one of these are: TREET, SPAM and TULIP...

http://www.96seven44.com/images/spam_musubi/luncheon_meat_frying.jpg

Identify it like this...

Top left:
Top Right:
Bottom center:

SusieMisajon
December 22nd, 2007, 08:35 AM
It's Christmas.

Wrap some mincemeat into a wonton wrapper and fry it, then sprinkle with powderd sugar.

skeeterbess
December 28th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Identify which one of these are: TREET, SPAM and TULIP...

http://www.96seven44.com/images/spam_musubi/luncheon_meat_frying.jpg

Identify it like this...

Top left:
Top Right:
Bottom center:

I'll take a shot at it, but I only eat the original, so I'm not a reliable judge. :rolleyes:

Top left: Spam
Top right: Tulip
bottom: Treet

Pomai
December 29th, 2007, 07:34 AM
I'll take a shot at it, but I only eat the original, so I'm not a reliable judge.

Top left: Spam
Top right: Tulip
bottom: TreetYou are absolutely... incorrect. Every one you identified is wrong. lol

I don't know if you can tell by the perspective of that photo, but SPAM is just a tad different in size by nature of its can.

Here's the cans...

http://www.96seven44.com/images/spam_musubi/spam_tulip_treet_3cans1.jpg

top view...

http://www.96seven44.com/images/spam_musubi/spam_3cans_topside.jpg

Of course, here's the finished product!...

http://www.96seven44.com/images/spam_musubi/spam_tulip_treet_3musubi1.jpg

Major bonus points if you can tell which "SPAM" Musubi is indeed a SPAM Musubi in that last photo! (the other two are TULIP and TREET musubi)

skeeterbess
December 29th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Shoots! Why not? Already showcased my ignorance, so I'll either go up a notch or confirm what you already know. Spam is in the rear. :p

cezanne
December 29th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Top left Treet
Top right Spam
Bottom Tulip

Possible extra points:
Rice: Calrose Diamond G

Surfingfarmboy
December 29th, 2007, 10:07 AM
During some of the visits I made to Wellcome Supermarkets, while on my recently-ended trip to Hong Kong, I noticed that there was another popular canned luncheon meat (presumably similar to Spam and Treet) sold in great quantities; it was known as "Great Wall" brand. Great Wall is a product of the Chinese mainland, and it is easy to find in the luncheon meat sections in supermarkets throughout HK, simply by looking for the cans adorned with a large hog on their labels.

Pomai
December 29th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Shoots! Why not? Already showcased my ignorance, so I'll either go up a notch or confirm what you already know. Spam is in the rear. :pNope, SPAM Musubi is in the FRONT. TREET is in the rear, which is evident by its darker color (due to more sugar content).

As for those three "uncooked" ones in the frying pan, the correct answer is:
top left = TULIP
top right = TREET (the darkest of the three)
bottom center = SPAM (evident by its slightly wider profile; see the cans)

SFB, that brings to mind this...

Courtesy of fellow blogger Nate, here's a can of TULIP in its Japanese-labeled can...

http://www.96seven44.com/images/tulip_japanese_version.jpg

Nate notes that TULIP is considerably cheaper than SPAM in Okinawa, making it the favored brand there.

Did you ever notice at the Okinawan Festival, they use SPAM (or whatever brand that is) in their Champuru and Yakisoba? I found that interesting.

TULIP Champuru. lol