Mango: food of the gods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mango: food of the gods

The New York Times has an article on mango season in India. Ohhh, now I'm hungry.

Re: Mango: food of the gods

I love me some mango! It's the kind of food where most of the time I don't even sit down to eat it - my preferred method is to stand over the sink and just grub.

Unfortunately, my husband is deathly allergic to mango so we can't keep it in the house. Every now and then I'll indulge at a friend's house, but I don't eat it nearly as much as I'd like!

Comment

Those mangos look like Perry (sp?) mangos. If I remember correctly, the Hayden mangos in Hawaii were the best.

At my grocery store in Seattle I bought an organic Tommy Atkins mango. It was pretty good. I made up a nice bowl of sauce--a mixture of shoyu, sugar, pepper, salt. No mango is as good as the ones we use to "take" from the neighbor's tree in Aina Haina. Memories...
      * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
      - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani
        Those mangos look like Perry (sp?) mangos. If I remember correctly, the Hayden mangos in Hawaii were the best.

At my grocery store in Seattle I bought an organic Tommy Atkins mango. It was pretty good. I made up a nice bowl of sauce--a mixture of shoyu, sugar, pepper, salt. No mango is as good as the ones we use to "take" from the neighbor's tree in Aina Haina. Memories...
        Yeah. Most excellent with any "green" mango or guava. Sacrilage with Hayden or Pirie. Got ono for pickled mango the other day so I took off on my moped up to California Ave. and found a lady selling some. $10 a quart bag! But was so good.

Comment

here.. we only have the sucky kinda mango.. its not the big sweet one like you guys have.. arez is sour , we chow it with salt and pepper. but when it turns yellow it gets sweet. have you guys ever tried pickled mango?? gof mungi
          Ebb And Flow

Comment

Well it's February 1st, 2007 and our mango trees are blooming crazy with flowers. The strong winds these past few days has me thinking of how poor our harvest was due to the "40 days of rain" last year from February thru April.

For those who haven't seen what a mango looks like before they become actual fruit, here are the flowers...

Look at all those flowers! If nature didn't have its way with them (they're very delicate and blow off easily), just imagine how many mangoes we'd have. Wow.

On the Shibata flower, you can actually see little shibata "bulbs" growing out. Interestingly, if you "smoosh" the flowers in your hand, you can smell the fragrance of mango (unlike the leaves and branches).

These are the "first born" off our tree this year...

The small 3-3/4" long Pirie (shown inset with ruler) actually fell from the top yesterday, so it bruised on one side, but I still ate it. A bit over-ripe, but man, these Pirie are SOO-WEEET! Such a treat to have one in February! Later when get "choke" mangoes, we end up not appreciating them as much and give most of 'em away.

The Shibata are more fibrous and tangy, best suited for Pickled or Shoyu Mango. They're good when fully ripe, but I much prefer the Pirie.

Keeping fingers crossed that the late winter weather will be kind and come June and July (peak mango season for our trees), we'll have some jammin' mangoes this year!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

gotta pop claritin just looking at those flowers. How can fruit that tastes so good be a result of flowers that mess so bad with my histamines??

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                gotta pop claritin just looking at those flowers. How can fruit that tastes so good be a result of flowers that mess so bad with my histamines??
                Ferallergies? Jes messin' witcha.
                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

oh my mango rash is coming! help! I love mangoes, but they give me a rash. If I suck the seed, my whole face shuts down.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

All these decades of eating mango and I still don't know the name of the one that everyone eats. The reddish greenish yellowish ones sold everywhere. Is that the common mango?

That yellow Pirie is too tangy for me.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I think the most common variety is the Haden. That's the kind we usually get up here (sometimes we get it from Hawai'i, but usually it's from South America ) We can also get Tommy Atkins from FL.

Miulang
                      Last edited by Miulang; February 1, 2007, 11:07 AM.
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I should plant a pirie tree in my back yard.
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          That yellow Pirie is too tangy for me.
                          I dunno' which Pirie tree you got yours from, but trust me, ours is as sweet as can be. Barely a hint of tang to it. When unripe, our Pirie's just taste bland, not really sour.

I think everyone's mango tree has it's own characteristic, even if they're the same variety. For instance, our neighbor across the street has Haden mangoes that are also VERY sweet, with a slight tang. My aunt - just a mile up the street - also has Haden, but those are noticeably less sweet and lacking in flavor.

We're in the Hawaii Kai area, where mostly the older homes (like ours) still have mango trees. They're around, but definately not as much as I've seen in Pearl City and Aiea subdivisions. Ovah deah' get choke!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                            I think the most common variety is the Haden. That's the kind we usually get up here (sometimes we get it from Hawai'i, but usually it's from South America ) We can also get Tommy Atkins from FL.

Miulang
                            Last year, Safeway and Coscto (Hawaii Kai) were selling mangoes imported from Mexico or Brazil ( or somewhere in S. America, I forget). They were still in the green stage, but the quality, appearance-wise, was excellent. Not sure how they tasted, nor can I remember which variety they were.

The only drawback to having your own mango tree is all the dammm leaves to rake! AAckk!
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                              Ferallergies? Jes messin' witcha.
                              ~flares Hawaiian wirey-witchy coiff into its full conical glory~

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X