Favorite Samurai flicks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Samurai flicks?

For me anything with Toshiro Mifune and directed by Akira Kurosawa.

Re: Favorite Samurai flicks?

The 4-1/2 hour version of "Chushingura" . . . a film about the true story of 47 samurai who avenged their lord's death. Thankfully, it's broken up into two parts.

In a much less serious vein, any of the "Zatoichi" series . . . he's a blind masseur who's an expert swordsman . . . his sword is hidden in his cane. Just for fun . . . very, uh, earthy. [FYI "Blind Fury" (1989) plays upon this same theme. Rutger Hauer plays a vet who got blinded in Vietnam and learned his martial arts skills in Asia.]
    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

For me it was the 7 Samurai even if it was long and in black and white I loved every minute of it.
      A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid
        The 4-1/2 hour version of "Chushingura" . . . a film about the true story of 47 samurai who avenged their lord's death. Thankfully, it's broken up into two parts.

In a much less serious vein, any of the "Zatoichi" series . . . he's a blind masseur who's an expert swordsman . . . his sword is hidden in his cane. Just for fun . . . very, uh, earthy. [FYI "Blind Fury" (1989) plays upon this same theme. Rutger Hauer plays a vet who got blinded in Vietnam and learned his martial arts skills in Asia.]
        . . . . . . . .

excellent choices, palama kid. the 47 ronin story is really exceptional.

another movie to consider is 'the twilight samurai'. saw it at one of the hon film festivals and thoroughly enjoyed it.
        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by chriscollado
          For me anything with Toshiro Mifune and directed by Akira Kurosawa.
          I totally agree! I also like Zatoichi.

I started watching the Taiga Dramas on KIKU-TV on Sunday nights with my kids when they were airing the "Musashi" series, which I LOVED, (as did my now-18-year-old son, who is Samurai/anime/manga-obsessed) ... I also loved "Shinsengumi" after that ... I couldn't get into the "Yoshitsune" series though.

I now have a Sunday evening Sopranos habit ... at least for a couple/few more weeks.

One of the Blockbusters I go to had a circa-1950s flick, called Musashi, I think, starring Mifune-san* ... but it was a three-volume set and they only carry Vol. 1! Worse, they couldn't tell via their computer if sister-stores nearby had other volumes. What's THAT about? Grr.

*Maybe it was called Samurai and Mifune PLAYED Musashi -- I can't remember now.
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle

I started watching the Taiga Dramas on KIKU-TV on Sunday nights with my kids when they were airing the "Musashi" series, which I LOVED
            I really loved the sets and background scenery they used, too. And although Musashi/Takezo was the main focus, my favorite character had to be the good-hearted but hilarious Matahachi.

Comment

Zatoichi

Lone Wolf and Cub series

Sabu (this is a Takashi Miike film)

Ummm...I need to go look at our movie collection. We collect Asian cinema...you know horror, thrillers, dramas, kung fu. You name it. I think we're up over 400 dvds at this point.

If you're looking for a good site, check out www.asiancultcinema.com

They have loads of Asian movies, samurai included.

Comment

flying snow, having so many dvds, you're probably familiar with this one: lady snowblood.

i got interested in this one after thoroughly enjoying kill bill cuz terantino mentioned it as an influencing movie.

525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Oooo! I SO want those movies, shaveice. At least I believe it's more than just the one, yeah?

I should start another thread...

Comment

The Hidden Fortress . A classic that inspired Star Wars.
                    Last edited by alohabear; May 15, 2006, 06:02 AM.
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                      The Hidden Fortress . A classic that inspired Star Wars.
                      . . . . . . . . . . .

wow. i had no idea! thanks for the tip; will do a search tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by flying snow
                        Oooo! I SO want those movies, shaveice. At least I believe it's more than just the one, yeah?

I should start another thread...
                        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

there is a kind of sequel; here's the link:

read the reviews (scroll down); personally, i agree with one person that i found the original movie more satisfying.

if my memory isn't shot to pieces, i believe the original dvd is available at the diamond head video shop in kapahulu...

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                          One of the Blockbusters I go to had a circa-1950s flick, called Musashi, I think, starring Mifune-san* ... but it was a three-volume set and they only carry Vol. 1! Worse, they couldn't tell via their computer if sister-stores nearby had other volumes. What's THAT about? Grr.

*Maybe it was called Samurai and Mifune PLAYED Musashi -- I can't remember now.
                          Its got different names but its called Samurai if you get the Criterion Collection version. Its a good trilogy directed by Hiroshi Inagaki.

Samurai: Musashi Miyamoto
                          Samurai II: Duel at Ichijoji Temple
                          Samurai III: Duel on Ganryu Island

I think its one of the better Musashi stories.

Comment

Working...
                          X