PDA

View Full Version : How can mainlanders hate spam?

adrian
May 31st, 2004, 08:30 AM
To some people in the islands, spam is the most versatile foods around.

We locals grew up on this stuff, and we don't have steaks, lobster, or whatever they (mainlanders) eat everyday.

mel
May 31st, 2004, 08:38 AM
The one in the blue can I like.

I hate all of the spam that comes in email!

helen
May 31st, 2004, 08:43 AM
I tend to eat the Low Sodium version of Spam also in the blue can. Been known to eat the Turkey Spam too.

Kilinahe
May 31st, 2004, 09:10 AM
Okay.

In theory, Spam is just fine. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a perfectly acceptable food.

Except.

I know that when my parents were having a hard time making ends meet, they served us Spam. This seems to be the case with many of us who grew up on the Mainland. You only got Spam when your folks were broke and you had nothing else to eat. It was one-week-til-payday food.

So it's mental. I can't speak for everyone, but eating Spam, in whatever shape or form, reminds me of hard times. Even fried, in shoyu? No thanks. I'll eat the rice plain, wrapped in nori.

Mocha
June 1st, 2004, 10:40 PM
A friend married guy from the Boston area and came to Hawaii to visit the in-laws...they served SPAM for breakfast with eggs and he was SHOCKED :eek: I think the further east you go, the people don't like SPAM. I watched a SPAM festival on the Food network not too long ago...they sure made SPAM look Ono!

kukui_nut
June 2nd, 2004, 08:38 AM
Spam and Vienna Sausage = "Food of the gods" :)

Albert
June 2nd, 2004, 09:59 AM
The problem I have is that I like my Spam sliced very thin and fried to a crisp. None of the local eateries do it that way.

(Granted, sometimes I just slice it raw from the can and eat it as a sandwich ... with mustard.)

adrian
June 2nd, 2004, 10:06 AM
Okay.

In theory, Spam is just fine. There's nothing wrong with it. It's a perfectly acceptable food.

Except.

I know that when my parents were having a hard time making ends meet, they served us Spam. This seems to be the case with many of us who grew up on the Mainland. You only got Spam when your folks were broke and you had nothing else to eat. It was one-week-til-payday food.

So it's mental. I can't speak for everyone, but eating Spam, in whatever shape or form, reminds me of hard times. Even fried, in shoyu? No thanks. I'll eat the rice plain, wrapped in nori.

Probably that'll explain it why my older brother's (who is attending school in Michigan) friends looked at him weird when we sent him several cans of the stuff.

The dried octopus and other dried things didn't please them either, but they did like the li hing mui.

slickvic
June 2nd, 2004, 05:41 PM
I love spam!

Did you know a Spam Musubi costs 500 dollars at Sansei?

It's true! next time you go there look on the menu!

-vic

helen
June 3rd, 2004, 12:04 AM
From another thread

What would you miss if you stayed on the mainland for a few years? My Mom sent him spam (the food), a rice cooker (you gotta have rice w/ spam), dried squid/octopus (and other dried food), and li hing mui.

I think you hit this topic on the head as to why Spam is kind of popular here in Hawaii. The fact that Spam and rice tend to go together. I admit despite my many years living in Hawaii I'm not much of a rice eater. I don't even own a rice cooker, hell I more than likey burn steamed rice if I attempt to cook it. I prefer making Macaroni and Cheese over Rice-a-Roni any day of the week, but I tell you I would not serve or eat Spam with pasta or potatoes. It won't kill you if you do but I suspect it's a worse food comboination that serving white wine with beef.

aleno
June 3rd, 2004, 11:34 PM
My father-in-law hated spam till he met me..lol. He said it was served to the people who were fighting over seas months on end. He also said when you're poor, it was cheapest meat to buy.
I made spam and pineapple once and he tried it and liked it. He also liked it in the fried rice. He still don't like the musubi though. He'll eat it if , like Albert, sliced very thin and fried.
I guess it's how you prepare it.

kukui_nut
June 4th, 2004, 12:47 PM
I guess it's how you prepare it.

Maybe you can please your in-law by serving up some of THIS. (http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/recipe.asp?id=988) :rolleyes:

Leimamo
June 4th, 2004, 01:25 PM
I have a mainland friend who told me that he eats it out of a can. *shudders* Even I won't eat it straight out of a can and I love spam. I too, like it fried crispy, almost taste like sizzlean bacon ... almost.

helen
June 4th, 2004, 07:53 PM
If I am using one those packaged Rice mixes (like Rice-o-Roni or the Lipton ones), I take a can of Spam, half of that is sliced (in varyness degrees of thickness) and placed on a plate. The other half is cut into cubes and/or strips and placed into the almost finished cooking rice mix. When the rice mix is done, pour that on the plate of spam.

aleno
June 4th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Thanks Kukui,

Some of the recipies sounds good.

I never thought spam tasted like sizzlin but I never had it.....LOL

Helen what flovor of rice do you use with your spam?

helen
June 4th, 2004, 11:42 PM
For Rice-a-Roni, I tend to use the Chicken or Fried Rice flavor.

aleno
June 5th, 2004, 10:15 PM
My son likes the rice-a-roni. I personally would rather cook my own but I do buy him those. I'll suggest the spam but he doesn't care much for it.

thebulacans
June 18th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Its Funny cause Im from Hawaii ( #1 spam lovers) and I live in Alaska ( #2 spam lovers ) but everyone I talk to here tells me they hate spam! When I tell them about spam & eggs or spam fried rice they all give me strange looks :)

Mocha
June 19th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Guess it's just an Islander thing about SPAM...I don't have any in my house now but I always have to buy to take to the mainland! It's so expensive there! And my daughter LOVES it! (she lives in N. CA) Maybe it was known as "poor man's food that's what some have told me.

aleno
June 19th, 2004, 01:30 PM
I get my spam from food for less hear in California. It's 2.69 on sale but most times it's 3.16 cents. what is the going rate for spam in Hawaii and else where?

Mocha
June 20th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Here in HI if it's on sale you can get a can of SPAM for $1.59-1.69. No wonder I have to haul SPAM up there for my daughter! I also bring her lau lau, poi and kalua pig. And bring luau leaves for my brother who lives in San Jose. ;)

aleno
June 21st, 2004, 09:15 PM
No wonder hawaii is Spam capital of the world...LOL.
I bought couple Taro plants from a guy at the aloha fest, who was selling hawaiian plants. I got a papaya tree and a tee leaf plant too. I keep them in a green house.
One day i'll have enough taro growing for me to make my own poi.

Krash Kolohe
July 11th, 2004, 07:47 AM
Maybe you can please your in-law by serving up some of THIS. (http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/recipe.asp?id=988) :rolleyes:

Whoa! Spam cupcakes??!!

Ok. Quoting from the "Gospel According to Kimo"
chapter 12 Verse tree...
"...during the lass days going get pieces
of sky falling on yo' head and going get one
skinny pake girl winning golf games..and
going get people making SPAM CUPCAKES!!"

The sign of the Apocalypse .. or as we
used to say in Kalihi ..Ah Pack of Leeps!

Ai carrumbah! Bruddah Krash thot he seen
it all ...but NOOOOOOoooooo! Now along
come SPAM CUPCAKES ...is nothing sacred
these days??!!

I thot wen I saw LOW SODIUM spam
that was eeet.

I thot wen I saw TURKEY spam
that was eeet.

But I am turning in my "Imitation Krab"
membership card if there is any more
desercration of the holy'
grail of processed "food" our beloved
SPAM.

What happened to REAL food??!!!

K'den..."um...waitress...I will take
the Bocca Burger wit everyting on it
k? And oh...you guyz get Sweet n low?" ;)

adrian
July 11th, 2004, 07:55 AM
But what brand of spam do you like?

I like the original blue can (Hormel). When I see my mom buy the imitation kind, I remind myself to not eat it (sometimes it taste junk) but when she serves it, I usually eat it.

And is it just me, or does certain people hate spam in Hawaii? Only me and my dad will eat that stuff, while my siblings won't (my Mom fries it, but when she makes musubi, then they eat it http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/v81/adri1456/smilies/thinking.gif

How you figgah? (never used that phrase for a while)

pzarquon
July 11th, 2004, 09:00 PM
What's "imitation"? Treet? 'Cause I tried that bacon-flavored Tulip, and it's actually not bad at all.

Hellbent
August 10th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Ever heard of Scrapple? Someone told me about it, and I even saw it in Safeway once. Its frozen and its grayish. I heard what doesnt go into spam goes into scrapple. It is made in Philly.

I think during the first spam fest someone concocted a spam milkshake. mmMMM spam.

kimo55
August 10th, 2006, 10:48 PM
what doesnt go into spam goes into scrapple. It is made in Philly.

that sounds about right!

during the first spam fest someone concocted a spam milkshake. mmMMM spam.
now THAT does NOT sound right.

Surfingfarmboy
August 11th, 2006, 02:40 AM
To some people in the islands, spam is the most versatile foods around.

We locals grew up on this stuff, and we don't have steaks, lobster, or whatever they (mainlanders) eat everyday.

Steaks? Lobsters? None of the people I see here eat that "everyday", though here in RI, where I can currently buy live lobster (if I ever chose to) for $3 a pound dockside (the price goes up in winter), I guess people could eat it on a daily basis.

As for Spam, (made on the mainland in Austin, MN), there must be some mainlanders who consume it. Shoots...every supermarket I go into here has a full line of it, with all of its varieties, usually right next to the Vienna Sausages and the "potted meat product". I don't imagine it's there to take up valuable shelf space. We even occasionally get coupons for Spam in the Sunday papers..usually save $1 on 2 cans.

Also: Maybe legal secretary in mtl can verify this for me, but up in Quebec and in some of the French villages of northern New England, there is a ground meat product to be had known as "cretons". I guess one could call this the Quebecois version of Spam, though it is usually sold fresh in small plastic containers and is no where near as firm as Spam...it certainly doesn't appear it would hold up well to frying. I doubt those unfamiliar with cretons would find it appatizing to any degree...it appears to be an acquired taste.

oceanpacific
August 11th, 2006, 03:12 AM
SPAM (Hormel) has it over their competition, including the most recent entry, TULIP, which was not bad taste-wise. TREET (Armour) and TEMPT (Dubuque) tasted inferior to me. When we couldn't afford kalua pork or corned beef, it was spam and cabbage.

We used to buy luncheon meat from the butcher, sliced thin and wrapped in butcher's paper. That was closer to bologna than SPAM.

Once, there was only one variety of SPAM, Now, we buy the lower-sodium type (25% less).

Vienna sausage is another favorite - we stick with the Libby's brand in the yellow label. They once used the blue label and it didn't sell, even though the sausages were the same.

Until I was 18, the only spaghetti I was familiar with came in cans: Libby's, Franco American, and Chef-Boy-Ardee. Not even the Kraft spaghetti kits. Other canned meats we ate were salmon and sardines (oil, tomato sauce) over hot rice, minature franks with pork-n-beans, and corned beef.

Bard
August 11th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Well, since someone resurrected the thread anyway... I live on the mainland and I have to admit that I like Spam. :) I don't eat much because it's got to be one of the worst possible foods for you... but it sure is tasty.

Got a big Costco pack of it in our "disaster stash".

damontucker
August 11th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Posteb by surfingfarmboy:

though here in RI, where I can currently buy live lobster (if I ever chose to) for $3 a pound dockside
I guess you now know what your bringing as treats the next time you visit :D ;)

tikiyaki
August 11th, 2006, 06:26 AM
My dad owned a butcher shop growing up, so we got all the good stuff. Things like SPAM and Underwood Deviled Ham were never brought into the equation. I'd ask for that stuff and get an earful from mom about how we don't eat "that crap". I missed out on alot of fun foods that way.

The fact that SPAM is like ham blended up and mixed in with gelatin (ie: Processed Ham flavored food product) kinda grosses people out so it got a really negative connotation here on the mainland.You know..."mystery meat"...Now in my adult life I've had SPAM a few times and like the way it tastes, but the health factor (or lack thereof) is scary.

Spam and eggs sounds great tho :-)

Manö'iki
August 11th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Agreed.

I loved Cheese Spam. I think I was the only one that would buy it from the stores in Kaimuki before it dissapeared. My favorite right now is Bacon Spam, especially using it in Spam Musubi. Try it. It's da grindz!

My next plan is to use Bacon Spam to make Spam Katsu... with curry.

I never did understand why mainlanders don't like da Spam. It's a gift from Hormel.

Debwhosmiles
August 11th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Love spam. Fried and topped with ketchup. Any meal. On bread or not.

Addicted to Scrapple! It is like cornmeal mush with pork sausage mixed in. Cut the loaf into 1/2 inch slices (like bread) and fry (no oil) turning once when browned. Pour maple syrup on it and you have manna from heaven. I have to have it a least a few times in the winter. It's one of those family comfort foods that you get a taste for at certain times.

note: Scrapple is a food you either hate or love... a category many foods fall into...should we start a list? Put Brie on it for me. Ick. :eek:

localgrl
August 11th, 2006, 07:17 AM

My cupboards are full of these......my son loves the spam (in eggs, in saimin, just plain, etc.) I love the vienna sausage, can eat it everyday, fry em up and eat. Since I can't get the real local grindz, this will suffice for now.

blueyecicle
August 11th, 2006, 08:05 AM
I actually don't know anyone who hates SPAM and I am on the "mainland". It sells very well here! I like it crispy fried!

kaipo
August 11th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Here in Indiana, I kinda got used to the weird looks I get from the cashier when buying SPAM and Saimin. I just chalk it up to them not knowing the joy of Spam and Kamaboko in your fried saimin!!

Vanguard
August 11th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Even before I went veggie, I didn't like it. D'oh!

damontucker
August 11th, 2006, 08:40 AM
I don't want to over generalize here...

But I think Spam has heavily contributed to the problem of many of our kids being over weight here in Hawaii. :mad:

Leo Lakio
August 11th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Its Funny cause Im from Hawaii ( #1 spam lovers) and I live in Alaska ( #2 spam lovers )I thought Minnesota was #2 in Spam consumption - it's made there, you know.

As others have mentioned, for many people Spam is a "too poor to afford other meat" kinda food, so it can trigger bad memories. As a kid, I had some straight outta the can - ECCCCHHHH!!! - so I wouldn't touch it for years.

Until someone from Hawai`i (the AF, o'course) made it for me, the RIGHT way. Her preferred method is to fry it up with small slices of garlic - and now I love it.

Still haven't tried the hot 'n' spicy variety yet; we plan to dice it up onto a pizza someday.

oceanpacific
August 11th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Just had some for lunch. Two slices fried with pineapple chunks, over hot rice. Local food to the max ......... :D

Manö'iki
August 11th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I had Bacon Spam with eggs and rice for breakfast. Good stuff.

As for the Spam being part of the weight problem, I'd have to say it may be part of it. Alot of foods we eat back home can have that effect. Saimin or ramen, does that, along with all the rice. I noticed I lost weight when I cut back on my overeating and not eating as much rice.

Then I overate again and had rice with every meal and now I'm big again. *sigh*

tikiyaki
August 11th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Well, your big local dish the Loco Moco probably weighs into the equation.

If you were counting weight watchers points, the Loco Moco would be like 2 entire days worth :-)

speedtek
August 11th, 2006, 01:46 PM
SPAM =

S-pare
P-arts
A-nimal
M-eat

alohabear
August 11th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I don't want to over generalize here...

But I think Spam has heavily contributed to the problem of many of our kids being over weight here in Hawaii. :mad:
No Manoa....That would be grandparents!

kimo55
August 11th, 2006, 02:04 PM
How can mainlanders hate spam?

what IS... a
"can mainlander"
?

lurkah
August 11th, 2006, 02:16 PM
what IS... a
"can mainlander"
?

Dass how, kimo. Now you're 74 posts ahead of Miulang! :D

Leo Lakio
August 11th, 2006, 02:17 PM
How can mainlanders hate spam?
what IS... a
"can mainlander"
?
A can of...
Someone
Pissed
At
Mainlanders?
:D :D :D

beaker
August 11th, 2006, 05:28 PM
As for Spam, (made on the mainland in Austin, MN), there must be some mainlanders who consume it.

Poor college kids, and some other poor people...and weirdos.
Seriously, when I lived in Minnesota it was considered a
joke food, and has an image problem. People think of it as
pressed scrapings off the slaughterhouse floor.
"SPAM, SPAM, eggs, sausage and SPAM. SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!"
But hey, they eat lutefisk there.

However, Hormel chili was accepted (makes great chip dip),
and Hormel tamales are a guilty pleasure of mine. Both of
those are much less healthy.

"potted meat product".

I occasionally bought that vile stuff because it sometimes
actually tastes good on saltines when you're in the right mood.
Good for late night snack breaks at work. Judging by the texture
I think it contains ground-up bones as filler. A good source
of calcium!

Hellbent
August 12th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Poor college kids, and some other poor people...and weirdos.
Seriously, when I lived in Minnesota it was considered a
joke food, and has an image problem. People think of it as
pressed scrapings off the slaughterhouse floor.
"SPAM, SPAM, eggs, sausage and SPAM. SPAM, SPAM, SPAM!"

i always heard spam was assholes, nipples, and snouts

"sorry, but we're out of eggs and saaaauuusage"

Surfingfarmboy
August 12th, 2006, 08:00 AM
SPAM =

S-pare
P-arts
A-nimal
M-eat

That's pretty creative of you, speedtek, but I believe, Spam is an acronym for "Spiced Ham"!

I'm not sure if any of you are familiar with Jon Anderson, once the host of a weekday morning show on KGUM 570 AM (K57) in Guam, but a few years back, while he was still on-air with it, he once attended the big annual Spam festival that the city of Austin (MN) puts on every year, complete with remote broadcasts aired back to Guam from there. He felt, in a tongue-in-cheek manner, that it was his obligation to attend this event for the citizens of Guam, as Guam evidently is the number one per captia consumer of Spam among the fifty states and American territories.

Pomai
August 12th, 2006, 09:07 AM
I remember when the Hawaii Collector's Edition (http://onokinegrindz.typepad.com/ono_kine_grindz/2004/08/hormel_spam.html) was available in stores, some folks were auctioning them on eBay as SPAM Musubi "kits". It included the SPAM, an acrylic rectangle musubi maker, Aloha brand Teriyaki Sauce and a package of Nori. Bids were going about $20 last I seen. Some were selling just the HCE SPAM with a starting $5.00 bid.

That'd be funny... going to the mainland and instead of taking up Chocolate-covered Macadamia Nuts as omiyage, you bring SPAM. Or your kid in college on the east coast calls you up, "Mom, you can send me a case of SPAM".

Manö'iki
August 12th, 2006, 02:50 PM
When I went back home to Kaua'i at the end of May, I bought 3 of the clear double Musubi makers. 2 for me and 1 for a friend. I'm keeping one of mine sealed and stored away, for if anything happens to the one I use now.... it would be over. Ever since I moved up here, I've craved Spam Musubi every now and then. To satisfy my hunger, I'd have to go to Ono Hawaiian BBQ (http://www.onohawaiianbbq.com/) or L&L's Hawaiian Barbecue (http://www.hawaiianbarbecue.com/). Normally it was Ono's. L&L's only if I was desperate. The L&L over here is nothing liek back home. And during it's two years of being opened it's already been taken over by new management. The new management isn't the best. The food has gone from good to just barely paseable.

I just wish I knew how to make 7 Eleven's Spam Katsu Musubi.

Erika Engle
August 13th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Found a previous post and photo link by tiptoetulip:
[October 3rd, 2005, 03:22 PM mmmm spam!! now where would Hawaii be without spam in our culture??!! :rolleyes: I know what you mean! Here in the islands spam is definitely a food group all by itself. All this spam talk has made me think of Spam Katsu Musubi, from 7-11. There was a time when I just loved eating those, but then I got tired of the rice, because there was just too much of it. But my short lived affair gave me much satisfaction! I couldn't find a pic of the 7-11 kine, but I found this pic here, of Spam Katsu Curry, from Sumo Ramen & Curry (http://onokinegrindz.typepad.com/ono_kine_grindz/2004/12/sumo_ramen_curr.html). It has me salivating...and I just made curry last night (with lots of fukujinzuke)!]

It's probably not the same, texture or flavor-wise, as the 7-Eleven Spam Katsu Musubi, because it's brought out fresh from the Sumo Ramen kitchen, as opposed to wrapped in plastic and set in a warming box for hours (days? :( ) until somebody buys it.
Man, now I'm ono for Spam Katsu Curry Rice! I have Spam, I have Panko, I have boil-in-bag S&B curry ... that may trump my earlier onos for Okonomiyaki. I'd planned to make it with Spam anyway -- because yes, Kilinahe, (happy birthday, BTW!) these are those hard days prior to pay day. I was going to do one batch of Okonomiyaki with regular cabbage and one with drained, chopped kim chee ... Maybe I'll just spend the whole afternoon cooking as if some Army were coming over.
I was also going to prepare some type of black bean dish ... Cuban, Southern, Tex-Mex, I'd not yet decided. What to choose?!
Of course none of it will get done as long as I'm sitting here!

Erika Engle
August 13th, 2006, 04:46 PM

I have the two Spam cookbooks by Ann Kondo Corum, but rather than get up and look for the recipe in either book (well, I can't find one of 'em), I wasted time looking on the Internet without success. *slapping forehead*
I was stoked/amused to find that the recipes section at AlohaWorld-dot-com gave Spam its own category. Akamai, no?

I got up and actually found the cookbook with the recipe in it, in about 10 seconds. (Again with the forehead slapping.)

This is not completely word for word; I've added my own commentary without changing the recipe or method.

SPAM KATSU

Flour for dusting
1 can Spam sliced into 8 slabs
2 egg whites, beaten until frothy
Panko or other fine breadcrumbs (garans the Italian seasoned ones would taste different)
vegetable oil for frying

Put a little flour on a piece of waxed paper or foil (or a plate, no need waste money).
Coat Spam with flour, dip in egg whites and coat with panko.
Heat some oil in a frying pan and fry coated Spam until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels and serve with sauce (recipe follows):

1/2 c ketchup
1/4 tsp pepper (ooh -- vary the pepper! Use Cayenne, or white, or ... )
2 to 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco to taste

(ee note: Of course if you have Kikkoman Tonkatsu Sauce or Bulldog or some other brand of Tonkatsu Sauce, no need make from scratch.)

Variation Curry Spam Katsu (from the book):

Make Spam Katsu and slice into bite-sized pieces. Make some prepared curry sauce such as S&B, Vermont, etc., adding veggies if desired. Put Spam katsu on a helping of hot rice and pour curry all over.

Rewritten from "Hawaii's 2nd Spam Cookbook" by Ann Kondo Corum; copyright 2001; ISBN 1-57306-135-2 paperback.

No guarantees that this will be like the Spam Katsu atop the 7-Eleven Spam Katsu Musubi, but it's a start. (I wonder if they cook or marinate the Spam sato-shoyu style first and THEN do the breading-frying? Hmm.)

kimo55
August 13th, 2006, 05:13 PM
well, you can't!
an unknown, unnamed unlicensed Kalihi garage kitchen (staffed by 12 year olds and younger, of course, members of the family company...) has the exclusive rights to make 7 Eleven's Spam Katsu Musubi.

Menehune Man
August 13th, 2006, 06:12 PM
How can Mailanders hate Spam?
If dey do, stay 'cuz dey can.

kimo55
August 13th, 2006, 06:15 PM
How...
"Can Mainlanders"
hate spam;

they hate spam... passionately, with much complaints. why?! cuz they... Can... Mainlanders!

blueyecicle
August 13th, 2006, 06:18 PM
It has me salivating...and I just made curry last night (with lots of fukujinzuke)!]

So Erika how does your curry differ from Korean curry? I looks different.

I make curry often I was taught by an mother of a guy I was dating.
It is red curry (or green) made with chicken, potatoes, tofu, and sometimes onion.It is made with water not coconut milk. OH and CARROTS too! :rolleyes:

dallascat70
August 13th, 2006, 11:47 PM
I do not like Spam but I skimmed thread and I would taste some of these recipes! If only you cooked them ;) I DONT hate spam, but cmon compared to something like portugese sausage-what you gonna pick? I can relate to the poster that it reminded them of hard times, when my family hit hard times, we ate chipped beef or creamed egg-both on toast, well if bread was in house! My mother acted *creative* I didnt know till I was older at the art of stretching things out thats moms do so well, and I also tht they were tasty!

I may try the low sodium spam, just to give spam one more try-but I love salt so seems pointless! Portugese sausage is something to talk about-my mom Is Polish, never eats anything but Kielbasa, until she visits me, Portugese sausage baby :)

Leo Lakio
August 14th, 2006, 06:05 AM
compared to something like portugese sausage-what you gonna pick?Well, yeah...if you gonna put it THAT way, of course PS would be my choice, too (even as a non-Island resident.) But Spam can be prepared in quite a few delicious ways, as discussed already. Try 'em! And report back to us.

Erika Engle
August 14th, 2006, 07:11 AM
So Erika how does your curry differ from Korean curry? I looks different.

I make curry often I was taught by an mother of a guy I was dating.
It is red curry (or green) made with chicken, potatoes, tofu, and sometimes onion.It is made with water not coconut milk. OH and CARROTS too! :rolleyes:
I must confess to cheating on the curry for last night's Spam Katsu Curry Rice meal ... I used boil-in-bag type that had the veggies already in it and just emptied it into a bowl so I could zap it in the microwave.

I've never actually made curry from scratch. I like Japanese curry and Thai curries ... not a big fan of Indian curry; but perhaps I've not had a good one.

blueyecicle
August 14th, 2006, 07:21 AM
I know that indian curry is made with coconut milk instead of water so it is too sweet for me!

Maybe I should try putting spam into my curry too! :p

That's me staying with the thread! :D

Oh and BTW curry from scratch is extremely simple.

Caliguy
August 16th, 2006, 10:30 AM
It is strange why alot of Mainlanders don't eat Spam when it is delicious...The only people I know that eat Spam are either from Hawaii or The Marianas Islands.

Erika Engle
August 16th, 2006, 12:29 PM
It is strange why alot of Mainlanders don't eat Spam when it is delicious...The only people I know that eat Spam are either from Hawaii or The Marianas Islands.
There's a whole social stigma attached to Spam, for many, many people, who regard it as food for poor folks -- you know, "trailer-trash."

I don't personally recall him ever recoiling over Spam, but I remember my late father's reaction to my raving the first time I tried corned beef hash. It was in an airport cafeteria on the mainland. It isn't so much his words, but his expression that I remember (quite negative). My mother later explained to me that we never ate that at home because he got sick of always having to eat it during the Depression.

Maybe people have those same feelings about Spam -- sort of like Kilinahe shared.

blueyecicle
August 16th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Everyone has a stigma about some sort of food!

When I was growing up you were poor if you ate hamburger!

I agree with you Erika...it just depends on the place and the people. :)

Bard
August 16th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Honestly I think it's just the sticker shock of the nutritional info... people in the US are in general on a health food kick right now. Take a gander at the Spam can some time. One half of one normal Spam can will give you your entire saturated fat limit for the whole day. :eek: Discovered this the other day when making some Spam 'n Garlic after reading about it on here :)

Leo Lakio
August 16th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Take a gander at the Spam can some time. One half of one normal Spam can will give you your entire saturated fat limit for the whole day. :eek: No, Bard, NO! Don't look at the can, you crazy fool!

Awww...too late...another pillar of salt. And fat. And gelatin. :(

beaker
August 16th, 2006, 01:14 PM
It is strange why alot of Mainlanders don't eat Spam when it is delicious...

You have an odd definition of the word "delicious", IMHO. :eek:

beaker
August 16th, 2006, 01:17 PM
The L&L over here is nothing liek back home. And during it's two years of being opened it's already been taken over by new management. The new management isn't the best. The food has gone from good to just barely paseable.

Heh, not much different here - the L&L in Hilo is definitely one of the worst places I've eaten at. Their lunch buffet is basically 7 flavors of stir-fried gristle.

oggboy
August 16th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Advise to those that who have not tried spam.
There are lot`s of way to prepare spam. No worry Hawaii get cook book`s.

It`s a matter of making a meal out of something like stir-fry vegies or pineapple spam. During hard times spam was there to fill up our belly....

OGGBOY :)

Bard
August 16th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Awww...too late...another pillar of salt. And fat. And gelatin. :(

*glugglug*

hawaiian_pride
August 18th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Yes the mainlanders here call it a nasty by product.. Till I turned them on to some teriyaki Spam musubi... I made them finish it then told them it was spam guess what they didn't believe me.

So to give them an understanding I prepared it in front of them.

WindwardOahuRN
August 18th, 2006, 05:43 PM
We ate Spam when we were kids---my father loved the stuff. Spam sandwiches, with Spam sliced right from the can, with mustard. Or fried crispy.

I remember the first time I was assigned to opening the can. The can with the KEY. I screwed up terribly. Went all crooked, then the little metal strip ripped off. Dad was not amused... :o

Bard
August 19th, 2006, 05:35 AM
I remember the first time I was assigned to opening the can. The can with the KEY. I screwed up terribly. Went all crooked, then the little metal strip ripped off. Dad was not amused... :o

Heh, I remember those! Was commenting to my wife the other day about how they used to have keys.

Erika Engle
August 19th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I like the old-fashioned key-type opening of those odd-shaped corned beef cans. Having seen key-cans in old cartoons, the face of my eldest lit up when he saw his opportunity to give it a shot in my kitchen several years ago. I let him, and it wanted to go all crooked on him, too, but he managed to succeed. It just struck me as so amusing, because I remember being younger, seeing the cartoon-cans and wishing I could get the chance to do that too.

Some old-fashioned stuff is cool to still have around. The corned beef cans aren't "broke," so I hope nobody fixes 'em!

Back OT, I much prefer the pop-top Spam can they make now, but given the rounded bottom edges of the current can, it would seem near-impossible to convert the can into a musubi press, like you could do with the older-style cans. Thankfully, I have one of those double-sized acrylic molds for Spam musubi-making.

damontucker
August 19th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Some sardine cans still have the "key peeler" to take the lids off.

Sorry... I just spammed this thread;)

WindwardOahuRN
August 19th, 2006, 08:58 AM
I like the old-fashioned key-type opening of those odd-shaped corned beef cans. Having seen key-cans in old cartoons, the face of my eldest lit up when he saw his opportunity to give it a shot in my kitchen several years ago. I let him, and it wanted to go all crooked on him, too, but he managed to succeed. It just struck me as so amusing, because I remember being younger, seeing the cartoon-cans and wishing I could get the chance to do that too.

Some old-fashioned stuff is cool to still have around. The corned beef cans aren't "broke," so I hope nobody fixes 'em!

LOL---perfect key-can opening on the first try! :D

As a kid, the biggest key-cans I opened were five-pound cans of Krakus Polish ham.

It seemed to take forever. You needed great focus to keep that metal strip from running down off the key into a skinny spiral, which would then force you to unroll the mess and work it back onto the key and try again. Better than shearing the metal strip off, though. You were doomed if that happened any sooner than three-quarters of the way through.

Anyone else remember when cans of ground coffee were opened with a key, too?

Manö'iki
August 19th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I wound up making Spam Katsu Curry last week. Was ono. My brother, his brother-in-law and I had grind. Thanks for the tips. I figured after I posted that, 7 Eleven probably put it in the sauce before they top it. Taste good with da bacon spam.

oceanpacific
August 19th, 2006, 06:54 PM
LOL---perfect key-can opening on the first try! :D

As a kid, the biggest key-cans I opened were five-pound cans of Krakus Polish ham.

It seemed to take forever. You needed great focus to keep that metal strip from running down off the key into a skinny spiral, which would then force you to unroll the mess and work it back onto the key and try again. Better than shearing the metal strip off, though. You were doomed if that happened any sooner than three-quarters of the way through.

Anyone else remember when cans of ground coffee were opened with a key, too?

HILLS BROTHERS and MJB coffee were sold in the big cans. Also, GHIRADELLI cocoa (chocolate) powder.

The canned hams, up to 5 lbs., also had keys. ARMOUR STAR; HORMEL; CUDAHAY BAR-S; DUBUQUE; RATH BLACK HAWK ........

We opened them very carefully to avoid getting cut.

Senora
October 23rd, 2006, 02:11 PM
Aaahh!!! Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just love Spam so much, I couldn't resist. I usually give my kindergarten son sandwiches to take for his lunch but one day I sent him with a spam musubi. His teacher practically begged me to make some for her the next time I make for him. She didn't ask for only one...she wants like five :eek: Maybe for her other teacher friends??? Everytime I see her...she hints, hints, hints at me for her fried spam musubi :)

BTW here in SF, I can get it one sale for 1.99 at RiteAid or Walgreens. Its Like 3.69 regular Price
Foodland in Kaneohe I got it for 1.29 each with the coupon a couple months ago. I bought 10 cans, and still not enough :D

*pinao*
October 23rd, 2006, 02:36 PM
I went to a grocery store here in Canada and asked if they had spam.. they laughed at my face and asked me if I was serious.. so I guess they dont like it?
Funny.. I think that stuff is soooo 'ono..

damontucker
October 23rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
Judging by the results of the poll...

I'm a minority on the enjoying Spam thing.... I can't stand it any way it's cooked. I think it reminds me of Bologna and I can't stand that either.

Question... How does my two year old son know that he doesn't like it... when he's never had it before?:confused:

Miulang
October 23rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Question... How does my two year old son know that he doesn't like it... when he's never had it before?:confused:

Because they don't call that age the "terrible twos" for nothing. Every other word is "NO".:D My guess is if he ever tasted it, he would probably like it, though. If you called it "chopped ham" he might think it was OK, and if he was on a desert island with nothing but cans of Spam, he certainly would eat it (that, and vienna snausage...both staples in Hawai'i).

Miulang

damontucker
October 23rd, 2006, 05:27 PM
Because they don't call that age the "terrible twos" for nothing. Every other word is "NO".:D My guess is if he ever tasted it, he would probably like it, though. If you called it "chopped ham" he might think it was OK, and if he was on a desert island with nothing but cans of Spam, he certainly would eat it (that, and vienna snausage...both staples in Hawai'i).

Miulang
Scary... he won't eat Vienna sausage either!!! He's a very picky eater...and he has nibbled on both... he just doesn't like it!
He sure seems to like the expensive stuff though:mad: at least he likes rice and saimin.

I just wish I could get him to eat the spams, the vienna sausage, etc.
The closest thing that I've found that he does like in this junk kine category is Hot Dogs!

I could start a whole new topic on Kids foods alone:o