Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asian Cult Cinema

So. Favorite Asian movies?

I absolutely LOVE Kung fu movies. Especially Jet Li and any movie that has girls kicking ass. Anyone seen Once Upon A Time In China series>? Excellent movies. Prefer the three with Jet Li, rather than the other guy in 4 & 5.

The Returner (Japanese sci-fi, with one of my fave actors, Takashi Kaneshiro)

Infernal Affairs trilogy

Hero (the cinematography is just breath taking)

Ichi the Killer

Bird People in China

Battle Royale

and I can keep going and going, but I'll let someone else go now.

Re: Asian Cult Cinema

hey east coast flying snow!

i see you started a new thread on the topic

not much time now to write a lot but for those who haven't seen ichi the killer, holy s&#%! don't eat your instant ramen before watching that one! same goes for battle royale.

flying snow, if you like those kinds of movies, you MUST have seen this one: audition

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

if you did, you know the scene towards the end of the movie where .... !!! yeah! that's it! auwe!!!!!!!!!!!! gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you're sick! (i guess i am, too!)
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Speaking of Kung Fu and all that good stuff, I just saw this movie called Seven Swords, which my friend pirated for me. It sort of just got released in China but it never made it here yet, but I liked that movie a lot, although their was a lot of drama in it, there was ton's of fighting and action scenes especially with the seven swords of destruction and each one had their own power to it.
      Last edited by Pedro; May 15, 2006, 01:38 PM.
      A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

howzit pedro, i wonder if your friend is the same friend who loaned me his copy?!?

i enjoyed it but probably not as much as you did.

by the way, my friend told me that he gets his asian movies from some small shop in chinatown. they almost certainly have some movies that you won't find at blockbuster/diamond head video...
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Tony Leung and Andy Lau are two of my favorite actors. One movie that mesmerized me was "Full Time Killer", because it was a blend of modern HK and Japanese, and the language went back and forth. I enjoy HK action movies, not necessarily involving martial arts. They are interesting for how they handle their plots, characters, etc. And I prefer watching them in their original voicetracks and turn on the English captions.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
            howzit pedro, i wonder if your friend is the same friend who loaned me his copy?!?

i enjoyed it but probably not as much as you did.

by the way, my friend told me that he gets his asian movies from some small shop in chinatown. they almost certainly have some movies that you won't find at blockbuster/diamond head video...

I am not sure where he get's his stuff, but as long as it keeps on coming. I saw some of the asian kung fu movies at home while they were in theatres in the US I love, I love Kung Fu movies We were made fer each other
            A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
              We were made fer each other
              huh? u and me? oh! you mean u and kung fu movies! whew! ha! ha! just kidding!

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                Tony Leung and Andy Lau are two of my favorite actors. One movie that mesmerized me was "Full Time Killer", because it was a blend of modern HK and Japanese, and the language went back and forth. I enjoy HK action movies, not necessarily involving martial arts. They are interesting for how they handle their plots, characters, etc. And I prefer watching them in their original voicetracks and turn on the English captions.
                You and me both. Although, sometimes it's fun doing english dubbed. Especially Ichi the Killer...the copy we have is automatically dubbed, but with British voice actors. Heh. It makes me laugh...

Comment

From the past year, I liked Election (aka Black Society) and The Hidden Blade.

Not so hot on the Seven Swords even though Tsui Hark is one my favorite directors. I really hated The Promise.

Comment

I miss going to chinatown to watch kung fu movies at the Liberty and the Empress theaters... that was 30 years ago. A couple of months ago The Honolulu Academy of Arts was showing kung fu "classics" like "The Boxer from Shantung" etc.

Yeah I love old school kung fu movies. Is there a channel that plays them at any given time? Kinda like Kung Fu Theater... remember that?

Comment

New Jet Li movie, Fearless.

It rocks. Fight scenes are amazing...will review further once I've finished watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by flying snow
                        New Jet Li movie, Fearless.

It rocks. Fight scenes are amazing...will review further once I've finished watching it.
                        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

7 reviewers and all gave it 5 out of 5!

my personal vote is for the thai movie, ong bak:

and tony jaa's follow up movie, tum yum goon (not yet released in the u.s.).

so many good movies to mention....

Comment

This next guy ain't Asian, and if his "straight2dvd" work qualifies as cinema....you know who should just retire? Mr Aikiddo Man himself, Steven Seagal. My poor husband just loves the ol' s.o.b. and will get each and every dvd da bugga puts out....*sigh*...just looking to catch a glimpse of him busting an aikiddo move or two....pathetic, really.
                          Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; May 18, 2006, 10:07 AM. Reason: ...because I care enough to make sense...

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                            This next guy ain't Asian, and if his "straight2dvd" work qualifies as cinema....you know who should just retire? Mr Aikiddo Man himself, Steven Seagal. My poor husband just loves the ol' s.o.b. and will get each and every dvd da bugga puts out....*sigh*...just looking to catch a glimpse of him busting an aikiddo move or two....pathetic, really.
                            . . . . . . . . . . . .

ha! ha! that's pretty funny. i don't know if it's misplaced but i do feel a little sorry for segal cuz he used to be in great shape but i think he's had one too many malasadas!

Comment

a long time ago, i mentioned a movie that was released in asia (watched it in thailand) called tom yum goon; bought the dvd and knew that it was just a matter of time before it would be released in the u.s.

well, it's gonna be in theaters on september 8th and if you like action movies, especially thai movies, this one will rock your world! you can watch a trailer of it here:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/weinst...eprotector/hd/

that tony jaa is absolutely amazing...

ps: serenity, you still get my dvd, right???

Comment

Working...
                              X