Who has children? A Parents thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has children? A Parents thread

I was just wondering who on HT might have a child or children.

I have a son that will be turning 2 in June.

It would be nice if we could have a HawaiiThreads "kids day" sometime/somewhere.

I know many of us out there do...and I know there's also a kid inside of all of us.

Maybe this thread could even expand to stories and advice regarding kids...

My first question, anyone have any good childcare recommendations for 2-3 year olds in the areas between Kaimuki-Manoa-McCully-Makiki?

Manoa

Re: Who has children? A Parents thread

I gots 2. First son is 22 from previous marriage. Second is daughter Mel, I keep mentioning. She's 6 going on 26. Yeah, I'm too old for this. I get called grandpa and my son is thought to be her dad. Can't help you about childcare in town. Sorry.

Comment

I've got three, and many of you met them at the HawaiiThreads picnic. Katie (8), Zac (3) and Alex (21 mos.).

Childcare in town? Gotta recommend Kamaaina Kids on Lunalilo St. -- they take 'em as young as 16 months. We actually tried Montessori (oh, my aching wallet), first, and were looking at other outfits with stellar reputations, but Kamaaina Kids suited my daughter better. Each kid is different, of course, so only you know what environment works best.

Bonus photo: Alex makes a cameo appearance on "LOST." Okay, not really.

Comment

When you mean child care, do you mean licensed daycare, unlicensed sitters, preschools with an infant toddler program?

The Early School on Bingham street next to Church of the Crossroads which is adjacent to Varsity Theater has an excellent Infant Toddler program that takes in children from age 18-months but it comes at about $1,000 per month.

I have six boys ages: 21, 19, 17, 10, 8, and 2-years of age. The Early School provided infant/toddler/preschool curicullum for four of the six while KSBE provided preschool for another. And I am the educational program for my 2-year old here in Keaau. Having learned a lot from the Early School and just having that many children to build my experiences upon, my 2-year old is progressing just fine, but if there's any reason to move back to Oahu, it's to provide the learning and nurturing environment The Early School provided for most of my kids. It is an amazing school (albeit expensive) but it is known as the "Punahou" of preschools where many of Hawaii's political and business leaders send their pre-school age children to.

I am a strong advocate for sending children to preschool as it gives them the social and educational advantage they need to be successful in K-12 whether it be private or public school.

Other programs available in your area is at Wesley United Methodist Church on Hunakai street above Zippy's in Waialae Nui Valley, Waiokeola Church's preschool on Kilauea Avenue across from Bank of Hawaii. All of these are excellent programs in that area. Star of the Sea offers a Montessori-based pre-school in Ainakoa. There are many others in the area including Mother Rice/KCAA next to Kokua Market in Moilili.

Early childhood care is expensive but it will pay off in the long run. As they say, "invest now or pay later" when it comes to raising your children.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Two little girls, 6 & 4. Remember all those people trying to have 1/1/2000 babies? Well that wasn't us! Sophie is my 20th century baby, Charlotte is my 21st century baby. This summer Charlotte wraps up her preschool career with a two-month summer fun program that will run me $800. Then it's off to Koko Head with her sister. Looking forward to that! It's been four years of $400 a month for preschool!
          Can't help you with childcare. I've got Camp Grandma out here in Hawaii Kai. Don't know what I'd do without my mother-in-law. She's terrific.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I, too, have 2 little girls, ages 39 and almost 38! The eldest attended Virginia McMartin Preschool in California. Miss Peggy was her teacher. Due to health issues my youngest daughter didn't attend preschool. Both girls loved and excelled in public school, private school and college. Locally, both graduated from HSG where their tuition was the exorbitant amount of $2100/year! I wouldn't even venture a guess at what it is now! Preschool is more! I honestly don't know how anyone can afford children in this day and age. My hat's off to all of you.

Comment

one daughter, 2 yrs old. she just started preschool at the cole academy and it's a major bite out of ze ole wallet but an opening became available and we didn't want to miss this opportunity. we're on the waiting list for a bunch of places and had hoped for the early school or the children's center (you have to be a uh student or faculty) so if an opening becomes available later, we'll probably transfer our daughter to the other program.

by the way, have you seen this site? it has some useful info...

http://www.patchhawaii.org/families/...oChildcare.asp
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                I, too, have 2 little girls, ages 39 and almost 38! The eldest attended Virginia McMartin Preschool in California. Miss Peggy was her teacher. Due to health issues my youngest daughter didn't attend preschool. Both girls loved and excelled in public school, private school and college. Locally, both graduated from HSG where their tuition was the exorbitant amount of $2100/year! I wouldn't even venture a guess at what it is now! Preschool is more! I honestly don't know how anyone can afford children in this day and age. My hat's off to all of you.
                YES TUTUE your children count.... I re-thought about it and said to myself... sheeshs... why kick out someone from the thread because they have more experience

In all serious...this could have the potential to be a real helpful thread to a lot of people if we keep it on track.

Manoa
                Last edited by damontucker; May 15, 2006, 11:07 PM. Reason: re thinking ideas on this post

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                  sorry tutue... your keikis don't count for this thread.... manoa
                  How 'bout mines... Daughter 23 and son 21?
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                    How 'bout mines... Daughter 23 and son 21?
                    I'm not a moderator....

However...my bad tutu...

I think this would be good for anyone with kids that wants to give advice (no matter what the age of your child might be....)

I'll take any advice.... You don't learn...unless you listen to those that have been there before you....

So any child raising words of advise I would also like to hear on this thread...

My first words of advice... "don't have em unless your ready for them"

Comment

I am Blaine, otherwise known as "Alex's Dad." Most proudly, might add.

Only one. He was a hand grenade when he was little. Used to totally "go off" at irregular and inopportune intervals. That's why we have only one.

He's much better now, and I couldn't be prouder.

Blaine
                      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I can't give anyone advice on girls but for boys...watch out when they turn 13! It's as if the "I hate you" switch is turned on and suddenly your own child wants nothing of you.

At 13 a boy is going thru puberty and also a lot of peer pressure as they enter middle school. It's another test of their ever expanding boundries as they mature into teenagers and my best advice is to just bear it out and just give them breathing room during this transition. Just repeat this mantra when it gets frustrating: It's just a phase...it's just a phase.

If you fight it you'll regret it because that will cement any anger both of you will go thru for the rest of his life until he has children of his own. If you bear it out, he'll come out of it in a couple of years at the longest. Then he's your best buddy again albeit a bit more mature.

I've gone thru this three times already with the first one catching me totally off guard. I thought I was ready for #2 but alas tempers flaired again. On #3 I nailed it and we sailed thru this period of adjustment with no problems. #4 is heading towards 13 in three more years and I hope that time will be a walk in the park.

Thirteen!!! That's the time to be patient when your boy hits that age, so don't ever say I never warned ya!
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hey Craig...you right about dat...dose teenage years are tacky, tacky, tacky. I stay right in the middle, just now. You suah dat it going pass? I stay losing all hope and perspective.

Funny, dat...cos I was one real delinquent...hope my Mom NEVER tells da keeds what I wen do.

My kids are Keoni 15, Keala Kai 13, Leilani 10, and Kalani 8...ya, ya...I know...little bit 'funny', naming alla dem wid local names, me being Haole, and alla dat...wuz my concession to homesickness.
                          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: my latest effort

daughter Falon born March 31st.
                            Attached Files
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

i have two girls - doh - 8 and 4.

i'm tough on them and need to know that they will make the right decisions when i'm not there.

at home my wife and i play good cop/bad cop... usually, you guessed it!!, i'm the bad cop.

but depending on what's going on those roles switch. keeps the kids off balance - lol.

here they are. a little blurry but you get the picture, yeah?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X