Trying to get back after many years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get back after many years

Aloha everyone!!! Well I was born on Kauai and left when I was fairly young, and its always called me back. Im 25 now and the opportunity to go back is better now then ever before. I would probably be going to Oahu, which I have never been to. My main desire to go back is my image at least, of what the islands are all about. Life where I am now is hecktic and selfish, and thats not me. I trully belive in the aloha and ohana spirit. Its always been with me and I want back in it. Im concerned about the cost of living on Oahu, as well as how often I hear "its basically like any other city." This has led me to think about other islands as well, but again, my knowledge of them is limited. I have a friend on Oahu who is willing to let me stay until I get settled which is what is making this actually possible. Im thinking about feeling out Oahu and if its not what Im looking for, I can look to the other islands.

Anyways, thats my story and I really do love browsing this forum. I hope to be able to join all of you here soon. Mahalo!!!

Re: Trying to get back after many years

If anyone has any guidence I would really appretiate it. I am going to attempt to get a transfer with my current job, which would take some of the pressure off.

Im just in a tough spot. I trully feel I belong in Hawaii, and I have my whole life. Its hard to speak to people about my feelings who arent from there. They just dont understand. There are alot of people in Vegas who have moved from the islands, but I still dont get the best feedback seeing as something drove them to come here.

There is something inside me drawing me back. I have such a deep spirtitual love of everything that Hawaii stands for, yet to be honest, Im somewhat worried Im in for an unpleasant surprise. As if maybe I have built on my memories of Kauai, and the real Aloha spirit, and am expecting something that maybe isnt there. As you all know this is a huge move, and I just want to ensure its the RIGHT move. Thanks again for letting me try to explain myself everyone.

Comment

Can you maybe go hang out with your friend for a couple of weeks on Oahu (like for a vacation?) Being there and being with a friend who can show you what's going on is much much better than taking the leap with no life preserver (your friend). Does your current employer offer any kind of cost of living differential? You understand that the cost of living in Hawai'i is much higher than even LV, yeah?

Are you in contact with anyone (e.g. family) still living on Kauai? Maybe you could also go visit them. If you haven't been back to Kauai in 25 years, I'm afraid that you will be a little disillusioned by all the growth that has occurred over that time. The first time I ever visited Kauai many many years ago, there wasn't a single stop light in Lihue. Now there are so many cars and the roads can get to be really tricky in the mornings and afternoons. You can also try reading the Garden Isle News and look at the help wanteds, the for rent ads, etc. so you can do some research before you make your final decision.

It would be a major lifestyle change for you, so you want to do as much research as you can before you actually put yourself into that situation, only to find out that it's not what you expected.

Good luck in any case,
      Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

good luck.

i hope you find what you're looking for.

i'm not from hawaii but whenever i'm there i'm at peace.

even after 8 months after returning from vacation i still see the sunsets, smell the ocean and feel the warmth.

it's been almost two years since our last trip out and approx. 2 months before we touch down again in oahu and i'm itching like you can't believe.

i used to talk about moving there but having a family and two young kids doesn't make sense now... maybe later.

joel

Comment

Mahalo for the feedback guys. Ive been browsing the forum alot and I see so much negativity about moving to Oahu. Whether its cost of living, or "fitting in" or whatever. I get the same thing when I talk to people about it here locally. Noone wants to move somewhere where they cant make ends meet, but something is telling me to go. It has been for years so I have to assume its the right thing. It just gets rough when all you hear is the negative. In my heart I feel its the right thing, so we are doing all we can to make it happen. I really do hope to see you guys soon. Thanks again!!!

Comment

I understand your yearning as that same yearning brought me to Hawaii 28 years ago...and I've never regretted the move for even a minute.

Times are different now. The cost of living is beyond being negative. It's downright scary. One only has to cruise various island highways to see the plethora of tents on the beach.

I won't try to discourage your move as there's something deep inside of you urging it. But, I will encourage you to research it as much as you can and have more than one back-up plan once you're here. You should have easy access to a hefty savings or investment account from which you can draw on for monthly expenses until you find a job. And I'd also advise having another account that you can't easily tap into for monthly expenses with enough money to move back to the mainland should that be necessary. Think of those accounts as insurance policies until you get settled in and see what direction your life is taking. Hawaii isn't a place where you want to be stranded with no money. No place is, really, but Hawaii is especially problematic because of it's location and the aforementioned cost of living.

Best of luck with your move.

Comment

Well everyone, it looks like its happening. Our lease it us here in town so we are making the leap of faith to Oahu. We should be out of here at the end of the month. My feelings keep going back and forth though. Some days Im thrilled, others just really nervous. This is a big move, and admitidly a little impulsive.

The one thing calming my mind is that we will be staying with my best friend from the military, so expenses will be limited to my car insurance until we are on our feet and find our own place. I just keep telling myself this is something Ive wanted my whole life, to return to where I was born, and that all these things are falling into place for a reason. Unfortunaly when you read about this move, the reality is so negative. Its a little ironic since so many Hawaiians are moving here to Las Vegas, and here we are going the other way. Hopefully Hawaii will welcome me, and I can manage to squeek out some sort of living there. Mahalo for all the advice guys, and I guess I will be joining you soon!!!

Comment

good luck to you!!!

wishing you the best...

Comment

Best of luck with your move, rhscare. I may be joining you sometime in the future, as well. What part of Kaua'i are you from? My family is from Kekaha, but later moved to Honolulu.

Were you able to get a transfer through work?

Comment

Originally posted by Kekaha Roots
                    Best of luck with your move, rhscare. I may be joining you sometime in the future, as well. What part of Kaua'i are you from? My family is from Kekaha, but later moved to Honolulu.

Were you able to get a transfer through work?
                    I used to live in Kalaheo, but I was so young lol.

As far as transfering, no it didnt really go as planned but our lease is up this month so it was either take the chance, or wait another year and this place has been eating us alive. Its a risky endevour, but Im hoping that staying with my friend will make this possible. Time is getting really tight, and its pretty exciting. Im looking forward to the day I land...especially when I can get back in the water again!!!

Comment

Well its all worked out! Todays the day. We are getting on the plane in a few hours and heading out. Gotta admit Im pretty excited as too what lays in store for us. Mahalo for the help everyone, and see you soon!!!

Comment

Good luck with your move I wish I were moving back!

Comment

rhscare,

So, how's the transition been for you? Welcome back!

Comment

Mahaloz everyone! Its been great. Ive felt as though this is where I belong sence I have gotten off the plane. The people have been great, as have everything else. Ive ran into a little bit of a hard time with the vehicle saftey inspection, sence Ive modded my car a little, but I am figuring all that out. The job search is going about as expected, but Im staying positive. Im finally in the place Ive wanted to be for so long, so there in no point being any other way. I am really looking forward to getting settled and enjoying everything the islands have to offer. We arrived on the 4th of July and I dont think anyone could ask for a better welcome than fireworks on Waikiki. Thanks again everyone, Im thrilled to be here.

Hawaii No Ka Oi!!!

Comment

Welcome back...

Like a previous poster wrote, I'd love to hear what you think now that you're here... let the honeymoon wear off a bit, and be sure to keep us informed..

There are a lot of negatives being written about living here, especially when people ask about moving here...

and here you are -- moved...

Keep us in the loop about your experiences

Comment

Working...
                              X