Aloha from Upstate New York!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Upstate New York!

I'm a transplanted local boy from most recently the Big Island. I've lived in New York for the last 15 years or so. The closest thing to local food that I get over here is the Cafe Aloha Express at a Mobil gas station of all places. I'm not sure if they're still there. Anyway I can't believe the prices of the houses there. What does everybody do if they are just starting out? Do you get paid that well there?

I heard of this area from Ryan Ozawa's podcast from HawaiiUp. I actually started listening to his LOST podcast and transferred over to his HawaiiUp podcast.

Nice to be here.

Re: Aloha from Upstate New York!

Aloha e Kawika, and welcome to the 'Threads! Glad you found us, even though I've fallen behind on my podcasting. You'll find the people and conversation here far more engaging than one dork's recorded ramblings, I assure you.

Yes, home prices are insane, and no, income levels generally don't keep pace. As you'll read in many, many other threads here, both the reasons and results of the cost of living in Hawaii are varied and hotly debated. I don't know how I manage, half the time, but I'm glad I do. I love it here.

Comment

Hey Ryan let me ask you something. Do you have DirecTV Tivos or just the Tivo plain? If you have DirecTV I'll swap receivers with you.

Comment

Just plain Tivos. Tivo was the reason I actually downgraded from Digital Cable back to Basic Cable. When you can just cherry pick and collect shows you like, you don't need 800 channels to ensure something is on at any given time that you like.

My wife really misses the Music Choice channels, though.

We've had a few Tivo and DVR (and Digital Cable) threads here. Search and check 'em out.

Comment

Thanks Ryan. I wonder if that would have worked anyway. After reading many of the DirecTV posts, it doesn't even seem like we use the same satellites to receive signals.

Comment

posted by Kawika0320

I'm a transplanted local boy from most recently the Big Island. I've lived in New York for the last 15 years or so. The closest thing to local food that I get over here is the Cafe Aloha Express at a Mobil gas station of all places.
            Aloha Kawika!! Welcome to hawaiithreads where the fun never stops . Too bad no mo any drive in's up dea wea u can get some grinds. Oh, u know about Zippy's.com , get some local grinds u can order by mail .

Comment

Thanks! I didn't know that Zippy's had that. Has anyone tried ordering? Looks good, but I'm always a skeptic.

Comment

Hey kawika!

If you're ever in nyc try the L&Ls there for plate lunch! stay away from the musubi tho! There's also a Roys in the city but I haven't tried it yet. hope you can satisfy your cravings for local food somewhere besides the gas station =)

Comment

Originally posted by Kawika0320
                  Thanks! I didn't know that Zippy's had that. Has anyone tried ordering? Looks good, but I'm always a skeptic.
                  Stay away from their poi, lau lau, and kalua pig. I've ordered it twice--it tasted bad both times.
                  * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                  - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Thanks!

I didn't even know there was an L&L by the seaport. Show how much I get to the city. And thanks for the info on Zippy's. I knew there was a Roy's here, it was right inside the original World Trade Center complex. Haven't tried it though. I miss the Kamuela Deli though, used to go there all the time. {sigh}

Comment

Working...
                    X