The Day After Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Day After Tomorrow

Albert and I saw The Day After Tomorrow at the Ward Theatre on Monday mid-day. Ward Theatres is showing this movie on all four of their big screens and our performance was 3/4 packed.

The movie was okay, it's more in the disaster flick genre. There were some parts of the movie that didn't make sense or was added to give the heroes a danger element.

There was a shot of Huricane Iniki hitting Lihue in the movie.
    Last edited by helen; May 31, 2004, 05:53 PM.

Re: The Day After Tomorrow

I seen the shot of Iniki!
    the special effects were amazing in the movie i loved it.

The wolves kinda threw me off though.

first of all ...why?
    secondly they looked so fake.

How am i supposed to believe that in the middle of the end of the world, my heroes are gonna die from an attack by some digital wolves?

We were crackin up during that part.

-vic
    Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

Originally posted by slickvic
      I seen the shot of Iniki!
      the special effects were amazing in the movie i loved it.

The wolves kinda threw me off though.

first of all ...why?
      secondly they looked so fake.

How am i supposed to believe that in the middle of the end of the world, my heroes are gonna die from an attack by some digital wolves?

We were crackin up during that part.
      -vic
      I didn't care for the wolves either. To me, they moved too "cartoonish-like fast."

Lovena
      Lovena

Comment

Oh, the wolves weren't the most jarring bit for me. It was that HUGE wave coming down the streets in Manhattan approaching the 5th Avenue Library building. So slowly our young hero had time to grab the young heroine and get her back inside before the wave hit??? Anyone noticed a big wave approaching at a North Shore beach? Give you time to scoot back to dry safety?

Also not quite sure how that Russian ship managed to sail up Fifth Avenue to the Library ... or what happened to the crew?

But the scenes of Mother Nature gone whacko were splendid, especially the destruction of Los Angeles.

At least I never had the temptation to fall asleep in the movie. But unlike Emmerich's MUCH better "Independence Day 4", I have no urge to see this one again (I saw that one several times).

Comment

The wolves was just there to give the heroes a hard time on the ship. Would have been nice if the homeless guy's dog came in to save the day.

I never been to New York City so I am kind of wondering if (a) the streets was wide enough to allow a ship to come through and (b) is there a straight line between the library and the harbor.

The part I couldn't believe was the super cold air that froze things on contact.

Comment

Helen wondered: "is there a straight line between the library and the harbor"

Nope, not even close.

Comment

Helen said: "The part I couldn't believe was the super cold air that froze things on contact."

And the way they managed to out-run it and slam the doors!

There was a funny review of the film on NPR's All Things Considered where they got a scientist to review it instead of a pro film critic. He took that line from the film, "this is unbelievable" and played it after every observation he made.

Comment

We thought it was funny how many times someone was asked "are you allright"

After the Dad was reunited with his son, a shortwave radio was used to call for a helicopter.
                whose radio was it?

And why didnt they call the helicopter for help before he walked from DC to Manhatten in 7 days with no food?

-vic
                Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

I think the dad carried the radio with him as well as some supplies. Maybe they were able to retreive the items that fell into the shopping center.

Also the helicopters couldn't fly because of the storm system and it wasn't until that system disapated that there were able to fly in.

What also got me was the number of storm systems that happen to form.

Comment

It's SO hot these days that I have to think of the movie, but then when I heard the radio reports about what is happening in Tokyo (103F!) .... is tomorrow the day after?

Comment

I don't think so. If hail stones the size of manapua hit Tokyo then yes I would start to worry.

Comment

Helen noted:

"If hail stones the size of manapua hit Tokyo then yes I would start to worry."

Ha!

(But I still wish it would cool down a bit here ... I get really tired of sweat pouring down my body.)

Comment

I think the heat here in Honolulu Hawaii....
                          is nothing compared to the south,
                          or somewhere like Las Vegas Nevada, Kansas, etc....
                          Want to talk about heat?
                          Those places like that, takes the cake!.
                          (in a figure of speach).
                          Never go to those places
                          unless you are prepared for it.

Aloha & Take Care.
                          Aches & Pains
                          (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319262/photogallery-ss-0

btw- The film itself, is pretty good.
                            Great film photography.
                            I would like a step by step on
                            how they did it & created it.
                            cool stuff.
                            Aches & Pains
                            (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

More than likely most of the special effects in this movie was created on computers using CGI. The giant waves obliterating NYC, the tornadoes smashing LAX.... all good computer effects... I give the movie a 9 for efx and a 2 for story, which for me makes for a ho-hum 5 on a scale of 10 with 10 being all time classic. If anyone hasn't seen this movie yet, it's currently playing at the Restaurant Row $1 theaters.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X