Ukus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ukus

Ukus (headlice) are becoming a bigger and bigger problem, for our heads. Products no longer work (like the ever-present cockaroach, da buggers get immune, after a while, to whatever we try to zap them with). Plus, they can give you more than just a scratchy head...impetiego, when mixed with ukus, can make for a bloody, itchy mess.

But, what to do?!

Ahhh...but there is one magic, no pesticide, cheap, workable solution...MAYONNAISE! Yep. The same stuff as goes into your sandwich..or on your fishcake, if you like it li'dat.

And...the mayo, with it's egg and oil, will make your hair shiny and so soft...plus, it's cheaper than a saloon treatment.

It's easy. Just glop the stuff onto your head (or the kids' head), massage it in, and comb it out. The little buggers just slide right out, even the little teensy-weensy ones can't hold on. And whatever it is, in the mayonnaise, that makes it acid...lemon or vinegar...dissolves the glue that holds the nits to the hair. Then shampoo, and that's it.

Make sure to have one of those special headlouse combs...the one with the teeth all bunched up, together...the one that will scrape the head, pull the hair, rip off the eggs (nits), and make the victim cry. Sometimes, it takes pain to be beautiful.

Once you've managed to cut their life-cycle...no more mommy and daddy ones, no more babies...by doing this treatment every three or four days, for two or three times -voila!- all gone.

No forget...change the pyjamas, and the bedding, after each treatment...no point in all the pain, just to have the little critters jump back, on to the head, from the pillowcase. You might want to put two or three pillowcases on the pillow at a time, and then just take one of them off, after each treatment.

(if you have a keiki that wets the bed...try making up a bed, with plastic sheet, sheet, blanket, PJ's, and all...then making another one, right on top, starting again with another plastic sheet, etc... The kids goes shishi in da bed...no problem, dey can handle it all by themselves...jess get up, rip off the soggy stuffs, take off the PJ's, and there's a whole new set....Mom can deal with that, in the morning)

This message has been brought to you as a public service, by the friendly person of the I-MISS-THE-ALOHA-SPIRIT-LET'S-SEE-SOME persuasion.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Re: Ukus

So is this good advice from the "Mayo" Clinic? DOH!!!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      So is this good advice from the "Mayo" Clinic? DOH!!!
      Hahaha! Dass good...I never thought of that!

Comment

Eh pass da Ketchup...dem Ukus like make salad dressing now

Comment

Speaking of all kinds of bugs, that get immune, to what we try to zap em with....did you know that there's a special place, in Hawaii, just for cockaroach immunity?

It's called EPMU-6, and it's in a small, just-for-them building, right inside the Nimitz gate, on the right, at Pearl Harbour. EPMU stands for 'environmental preventative medicine unit, and I guess that the 6 stands for Pearl Harbour...which is funny, because isn't the fleet, in Hawaii, the 7th fleet? (it's been a while, I could be mistaken)(nevermind)

Inside the unit is a room, with row upon row of the same kind of jars that you'll find in the Crackseed Center, the one at Ala Moana. Except, instead of li hing mui, or lemon peel, or swet and sour seed...they are full of cockaroaches. Zillions and zillions of cockaroaches! The room stinks of cockaroaches...even with the AC on.

And each and every jar has a label on it, telling from which ship that the cockaroaches came from. Every single ship, militar or no, that docks into Pearl Harbour gets a vist from the people at EPMU-6, who take a bug sample...well bugS, really, as they want them to procreate, back in their new home, in those crackseed jars.

You see...we've learned our lesson, from the days of DDT overkill. There's no point in an accross the board bug holocaust...it wastes DDT (or today's equivillant), and the cockaroaches come back, anyways...and then you have to use a stronger zap, and a stronger zap again, and again...well, you can see how that light not be good idea, for all those sailors and their DNA chromosomes, stuck on those ships.

So, each ship has its' own zap-level. Each crackseed jar has those bugs, from that particular ship, each with the zap-level identified and ready to go. And ready to go up, but only as needed. Smart, ya?

This local trivia brought to you by that nice person of the I-MISS-THE-ALOHA-SPIRIT-LET'S-SEE-SOME persuasion.

Comment

My wife is a health aid in the school system and has to do uku checks every few months. One prescribed remedy is to use Listerine to kill the adults. She said mayo or petroleum jelly is then used to treat the nits, although the latter 2 will kill the adults as well. It'll take a few treatments, but it's not as bad or as toxic as some the prescription remedies.

What gets here mad is a lot of the parents never follow up with home treatments. Washing bed clothes and vacuuming the house, etc. One family had 2 affected kids so the parents treated one kid, but didn't do anything to clean and treat the second kid until the first kid was "cured". Of course, the first kid caught them again while they treated the second kid.

A friend of mine picked up ukus in his pubic hair, during our college days. He had to shave off the hair and wash the affected area with gasoline or kerosene. Must have been an old time uku fixit? Burned like heck when he applied the fuel after shaving. <LOL>

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye

A friend of mine picked up ukus in his pubic hair, during our college days. He had to shave off the hair and wash the affected area with gasoline or kerosene. Must have been an old time uku fixit? Burned like heck when he applied the fuel after shaving. <LOL>
              I bet whoever gave your friend that cure must still be laughing about it.

Comment

I heard of kerosene being applied to heads as an old time remedy for ukus (discouraged for use now) but ack! for your friend.

Comment

I caught (or they caught me) Ukus in Elementary School, but the worst time was once when I was 18 and had hair halfway down my back! I refused to cut my hair and it was a Battle Royale. But I finally won. It sure takes diligence though. Wish I would've known about the Mayo Clinic's advice back then... HaHa!
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I thought one was to only shave off half the pubic hair then apply the kerosene to the pubic hair, light it and poke the ukus with an ice pick as they were running out? My apologies if this is offensive to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani

I thought one was to only shave off half the pubic hair then apply the kerosene to the pubic hair, light it and poke the ukus with an ice pick as they were running out?
                      Brah, I bet you went Farrington, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                        I heard of kerosene being applied to heads as an old time remedy for ukus (discouraged for use now) but ack! for your friend.
                        Now the shaving part I can put it in the "kinky" chapter, but the Kerosene? That's just sadistic man.

I knew a guy in basic training who got the crabs and used Raid to kill them buggahs. You'd never think those balls of his could retract like that

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          I knew a guy in basic training who got the crabs and used Raid to kill them buggahs. You'd never think those balls of his could retract like that
                          Whatever you do, all you GUYS out there, DO NOT LET GASOLINE SPILL ON YOUR GENITALS!

One time we were transporting gasoline premixed with 2-cycle oil (for Jet Skis) and I had to carry one can on my lap. We hit a bump and the stuffed spilled all over my crotch. Brah, you wanna' talk about testicles becoming a SPONGE. I swear, that was one of the most PAINFUL burning sensations I ever experienced. Igniting that fuel probably wouldn't have been much worst.

Not sure how gasoline would affect females, but I'm sure it'd be just as painful.

Fortunately I've never contracted Uku's in my life... and boy did I have one mop of hair growing up. Now I'm happily clean shaved, so no worries.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Kerosene, RAID, gasoline, I don't have that sort of equipment down there and I'm still in pain just THINKING about it. Oooh ouch!
                            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina
                              Kerosene, RAID, gasoline, I don't have that sort of equipment down there and I'm still in pain just THINKING about it. Oooh ouch!
                              I agree. Owie, just thinking about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X