Termites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Termites

It's termite season again. I saw my first flying termites of the summer last night. I'm guessing they would have come sooner, except it's been so cool lately.

Re: Termites

When I lived in Manoa and termite season came around, my wife would put a bowl of water on the kitchen counter and leave the light on. The light reflected on the surface of the bowl of water would attract the termites and they would Kamakazi right into the water killing them.

That gave me a bright idea. I took my waterproof lantern flashlight outside one night during a swarm of termites in my area. Grabbing a water hose and putting the spray gun tip to flat spray I shot it up in the air illuminating it with the flashlight.

The termites immediately became attracted to the spray of illuminated water and as soon as they hit the stream they hit the ground before they could mate. The water tore off their already loose wings (happens when they mate) and they dropped to the pavement where the geckos promptly gobbled them up. The rest I simply hosed into a corner where they drowned to death. I took care of an entire swarm in about 20-minutes of spraying and no chemicals were used.

But if you want the satisfaction of saying, "Die you bastards!!!" try a can of brakleen. On contact they drop like flies. Just watch out for your background cuz the stuff is nasty.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The house I grew up in had a swimming pool, which we used to turn the underwater pool light on during termite season to attract the pests. The next morning there'd be 1000's of floating, dead termites that needed to be netted out. Not the most sanitary way to catch them, but at least that was thousands of times less chances of our home being infested.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
        When I lived in Manoa and termite season came around, my wife would put a bowl of water on the kitchen counter and leave the light on. The light reflected on the surface of the bowl of water would attract the termites and they would Kamakazi right into the water killing them.
        Yup. Even better, use a stainless steel mixing bowl for added reflection.

Comment

In Calif. we don't have the swarming problem but it's always a problem when it comes to protecting your home (investment). A pest control company has come out w/ a product not long ago called "Orange Oil". Don't know how it works but it's supposed to kill da buggas w/ natural, non-toxic orange oil.

Does any one know if it's available in the Islands? If not, why not? (humidity/rain)

Thanks

BTW, do people use electric bug-zapper lanterns? I love those things (die, you bahstids!)
          Last edited by hedkikr; July 26, 2007, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hedkikr View Post
            In Calif. we don't have the swarming problem but it's always a problem when it comes to protecting your home (investment). A pest control company has come out w/ a product not long ago called "Orange Oil". Don't know how it works but it's supposed to kill da buggas w/ natural, non-toxic orange oil.

Does any one know if it's available in the Islands? If not, why not? (humidity/rain)
            According to my source, Lead Inspector foa Termites and Pests.heheheh

His company does not carry it. They only carry "Restrictive Insecticides." Only to be used by licensed technicians.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I have a friend near Leilehua HS that saw these things, but not thick swarms, maybe six weeks ago. In fact she specifically said that they were noticeably lighter than in previous years.
              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

1stwahine...

Did your friend say why no orange oil?

Here's a link to a company in my area that does orange oil:

http://www.accuracypluscalifornia.co...FQkkhgodU2feaA

Comment

Termites

I've lived here 13yrs. but only owned a home 5yrs. so far. It was tented when we purchased, of course and I am wanting to pick some folks' brains about these darn things. Evidence of them having damaged a couple of pieces of wood is in the attic, and there's some droppings that've been seen in two places in the house, around window sills that are not windows that go to the floor but more than three feet high.

Is it typical to have to tent a house approx. every five years? does one try to wait and tent when there's more evidence of them found? Spot treatment, any of them any good, or just a waste of time and money?

Any and all tips will be considered and appreciated. Our last house, the rent house was tented once in the eight years we were in it. A neighbor here tented theirs last year and exclaimed how they hope it's another nine years before they have to bother with it, again.

Sigh.....I'm curious about it all.

Comment

Re: Termites~

We got Sentricon at my house in the late '90s and kept the system in for about a year. Haven't had any infestations since. Costly, but so far it seems worth it.

Prior to that, we tented my house in 1992, and colonies came back in about a year.
                    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                      Evidence of them having damaged a couple of pieces of wood is in the attic, and there's some droppings that've been seen in two places in the house, around window sills that are not windows that go to the floor but more than three feet high.
                      Unless there's a heckuva mud tunnel up to the attic, it's probably drywood-termite damage. You could poke gently around the damaged wood with an awl or a screwdriver blade and see if anything scurries away from the light. If you don't see any movement around the damage then you could clean up around it and see if any droppings come back.

The windowsill droppings could also be drywood termites or powderpost beetles. The beetle holes are frequently on the bottom of the wood, the size of a pinhead, and can go up into the wood for several inches. If you clean up the droppings and more droppings come back in the same location then of course it's active. They can be killed by spraying just about any insecticide in the hole (like Raid), especially if you can direct a stream into the hole with a plastic straw (like the ones on WD-40 cans).

Any ground-termite mud tunnels up the side of your concrete foundation or posts? Any cracks in the concrete slab inside the house/garage with mud tunnels around them?

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                      Is it typical to have to tent a house approx. every five years? does one try to wait and tent when there's more evidence of them found? Spot treatment, any of them any good, or just a waste of time and money?
                      No, we've never tented. I'm not sure why people still tent, unless it's for drywood termites & tradition. The ants move back in next day and the flying termites would come in at the next swarm. But maybe tenting makes people feel safe and they sleep better at night.

Sentricon is considered effective because scrap wood (bait) is frequently checked and, if termites show up, poisoned bait is added to that location. However you'll pay for that monthly monitoring. Our neighbor has used that for several years and he's had no problems. Of course we're enjoying his protection on our shared property.

We've had two infestations of ground termites. The first time they built a mud tunnel up the side of the footing (not too hard to figure out) and the second time they came up through a crack inside the slab (found them while painting an inside wall). The first time (2001) we had the foundation perimeter drilled & sprayed with whatever termidicide was in use back then. We also cut back the vegetation, made sure the downspouts were directing water away from the foundation, and fixed a sprinkler leak that was inviting the colony to set up housekeeping. But apparently the poison didn't go deep enough into the ground or reach far enough into the ground under the center of the slab.

The second time (2003) we pulled back the carpet around the inside wall (both sides) and had the slab around the wall drilled & sprayed with fipronil (Termidor). Then the exterminator went around the foundation perimeter plugs again and also sprayed Termidor on the vegetation. As far as I can tell we've been termite-free ever since (I still check the foundation every 2-3 months). We haven't found any more damage.

The Termidor is great stuff (http://www.termidorhome.com/AllAboutTermidor.asp) and also kills off the ant nests for a few months (until the neighbor's ants move back onto your property).

We used Knut Peacock (Peacock Termite & Pest Control, 2815 Ualena St, 833-7603) who took over the business from his dad. I'm not sure if he's still active (his knees were hurting him pretty badly) but he's experienced and he doesn't try to hustle sales. He even came over once to calm down my parents-in-law when they were freaking out over flying termites, and he wouldn't charge us for his performance inspection.
                      Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                      Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                      We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                      Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Inspector still still sleeping.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                          Inspector still still sleeping.

Auntie Lynn
                          He up.

He'll answer now.

I have experience in termite identification. The problem you identified is typical of drywood termites. Although you see drywood termite dropping does not necessarily mean you have "live termites." Ants will also cause some confusion.

There is also a chance there was a problem with the fumigation process. If you are seeing "termite droppings" without any visible ant activity, the problem could be "live termites." Most termite contracts will retreat the problem at no additional charge to the homeowner. If your contract states they will reinspect and retreat. Call the termite company and have them retreat as many times as necessary.

If you still have a valid fumigation warranty, you are entitled to re-fume your home at no additional cost to you providing they find "live termites."

Termites will swarm every year. After five years of swarming, there is a chance you have a new drywood termite infestation. Since you say you have damage, termites may have flown in for the past couple years through a bad or poor window seal.

Sincerely,

P.K.

BTW: Termidor is labeled for use on Drywood Termites.
                          Last edited by 1stwahine; September 30, 2007, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                            He up.

He'll answer now.

I have experience in termite identification. The problem you identified is typical of drywood termites. Although you see drywood termite dropping does not necessarily mean you have "live termites." Ants will also cause some confusion.

There is also a chance there was a problem with the fumigation process. If you are seeing "termite droppings" without any visible ant activity, the problem could be "live termites." Most termite contracts will retreat the problem at no additional charge to the homeowner. If your contract states they will reinspect and retreat. Call the termite company and have them retreat as many times as necessary.

If you still have a valid fumigation warranty, you are entitled to re-fume your home at no additional cost to you providing they find "live termites."

Termites will swarm every year. After five years of swarming, there is a chance you have a new drywood termite infestation. Since you say you have damage, termites may have flown in for the past couple years through a bad or poor window seal.

Sincerely,

P.K.

BTW: Termidor is labeled for use on Drywood Termites.
                            OK...this is for our expert, PK:
                            We had a Sentricon system at our townhome, yet before we moved in 4 yrs. ago, we found some termite damage. The previous owner had someone come in and do "spot treatments" of some sort. Now we're seeing some droppings again. Does that mean we need more spot treatments? Or a tenting? We were told that if we wanted a tenting, that the WHOLE building (4 units) would have to agree to the tenting and we were advised just to do the spot treatments (I'm not sure what he used). Now what should we be doing? I get so confused over all this. Sowwy! LOL Glad to know that PK is an expert!!
                            Thanks!

Comment

Mike, so you mean that you paid for Sentricon for a year, and since then haven't used them at all? Was your problem the typical, flying type that eat slowly?

Nords, will those beetles eat as much as the drywood, is that flying? termites? Do you find over weeks, if it's where you don't look often the same hefty little pile?

Maybe people still tent cuz it's a one time hit and less expensive than Sentricon? is that possible? or does Sentricon typically, over a year's service just add up to what a tenting would add up to? So, can Sentricon work for flying termites, or only the underground ones?

Auntie's inspector, et al....
                              Oh, we have ants! sprayed the yard three times this year, for them, the truck mounted service. Again, can ants eat so much wood that say, in a month's time if you didn't look, there can be a hefty, though little pile of droppings??

No, the house was tented five years ago and warranty was just for one yeart. Also, they were called back once within that year and said what we were seeing was just old droppings settling and falling like at the edge of a cabinet, etc. they claimed they couldn't find any live infestation.

Thanks, y'all! Might find out what Sentricon costs for a two thousand sq. ft. house IF.....it can work well for the attic and around one, hubby says two windows in the house. If Sentricon is good for those flying buggers, hmmm.

Comment

Working...
                              X