Oliver Stone's "World Trade Center"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oliver Stone's "World Trade Center"

Not too long ago, "United 93" tested the waters of 9/11 on the big screen. The terrorist attacks were five years ago -- some would stress only five years ago -- and while there have been 9/11 books and countless 9/11 tributes and references on television, motion pictures about that terrible day were long something people dreaded.

For the most part, though, "Flight 93" was well received, and the filmmakers seemed to go to great lengths to do right by the people affected, and by the viewing public. Rather than attempt to say something grand about 9/11 and all that followed, the movie limited itself to the experiences of the people aboard that flight, largely oblivious of all that would happen after their deaths.

Well, in August, "World Trade Center" is coming out, a movie by Oliver Stone that focuses specifically on the New York attack. While the story focuses on the experiences of two firefighters, it's obvious that Stone will not steer clear of the big picture. And the movie trailer for "World Trade Center" has now come out... once again sparking conversation and controversy.

I have to admit, while I was curious about "Flight 93," I'm much more hesitant to consider "World Trade Center." The trailer alone was very, very difficult to watch. Largely because of its depiction of the events in New York -- standing in a crowded Apple Store, I had to duck out before losing it -- but also because its style and tone is so quintessentially Hollywood, from the "in a world" mood music to hokey dialogue and one liners. The shadow of a plane. A grief-striken woman doing her laundry. Nick Cage striding confidently.

To be sure, though, movie trailers are often so apart from the movies they sell that they're practically irrelevant. And while Hollywood is every bit the exploitive, shallow, money-hungry monster people know it to be, movies in general are also an important part of documenting or even shaping a culture. A 9/11 movie was inevitable, and there will be more. "World Trade Center" the movie, and how the movie is received, will not be insignificant points in our history.

Is it too soon? For a lot of people. But obviously not for everyone.

I know Oliver Stone will be provocative, and that will work both for and against this movie. I'd personally prefer a more subtle touch with the first few big-screen 9/11 stories... but I guess I should at least be happy it's him (Born on the Fourth of July, The People vs. Larry Flynt, Nixon, JFK) and not someone like Michael Bay (Pearl Harbor, Armageddon).

Re: Oliver Stone's "World Trade Center"

PZ -

I watched the trailer... after reading your thread, I was expecting much more of something that I would consider controversial.

I didn't find it too offensive...

I just thought that having someone as High profile as Nicholas Cage playing the lead role glamorizes it a bit more than it needed to be.

Other than... I look forward to getting it on DVD when it comes out...

Based on the trailer...it's not something I would see in the theaters.

Comment

Well, maybe I'm just a big ol' sap. But just about anything directly concerning 9/11 still affects me. I'm not saying it bothers me, or offends me, nor neccessarily inspires or really enlightens me. It's just a mushy spot that's still a little tender.

And I don't think I'm alone.

But, I also believe in the inevitability of tragic events becoming the stuff of both documentaries and studies but fiction and entertainment. The answer to, "Is it too soon?" can only be answered when someone steps forward. I was actually surprised "United 93" only caused a moderate amount of controversy. In a way, that can almost be encouraging.

But the story told in "United 93" was pretty focused, narrow, and personal. Oliver Stone is clearly going big for "World Trade Center." The difference in scale is immense.

I would say the most common reaction to the trailer is that it's controversial because it's so conventional. Like I said, you've got the big star playing the hero, and eye-popping special effects, and melodramatic music so overwrought it'd probably get you worked up used in a movie about ping pong.

But, trailers are sometimes a world away from the actual picture (think "Iron Giant"), and while Oliver Stone has a reputation of pushing buttons, he's no lightweight when it comes to history, drama, or storytelling. So I know the only way to know for sure what the movie's like is to see it. I just don't think I'm ready to.

Comment

I'm with Pz. I am not ready for a movie about these events, and I don't think any movie produced right now will help me sort through what I need still to sort through about that pivotal day. I am not interested in a "what really happened" film, nor a "set against the tragic events of..." story, or even a "what it all means" story. What it all means is something that history hasn't had enough time to figure out, and until I've got a little more space between me and 2001, I just won't see this movie.

But yes. Thank God it's Stone and not Bay/Bruckheimer.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

There are some, that believe that the events of 9/11 were, if not done by our own government, were aided and abetted by someone high up, in order to have the excuse for attacking the Middle East...for oil or for world power or for religious purposes, take your pick.

I haven't made up my mind, one way or another. But whoever did the planning, screwed up, if they were trying to kill, rather than scare...waiting another hour, when the workday would've already started (9 am), would have resulted in much more death.

The anthrax thing, just after, was somebody's mistake, too....had it really been a 'foreigner', they would have inversed the dates, on the letters. It's only in the US, that July 4th is written...elsewhere, it's 4 july.
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh, absolutely history will need another couple of decades, at least, to put 9/11 into any sort of context. Everyone's too close to it now to try and define it. I really don't think Oliver Stone is trying to do that, though.

From Law & Order on TV to various memoirs and other books, people have already been busy putting their own reactions to 9/11 out there, and I see this movie as a very high-profile and significant entry. But certainly not one that'll be more definitive than any other. At least, not 'til there've been quite a few more entries -- some great, I'm sure, and some downright horrid.

But 9/11 is still a raw and painful topic for some, rife with politics and nefarious agendas for others, so "World Trade Center" will get more than its share of controversy. And above all else, I want to stress that I don't deny Oliver Stone's right to make this movie -- and maybe 50 years from now I'll say I'm glad he did. I'm just saying I'm not interested. Yet.

I really do hope the trailer isn't indicative of what it'll be like, though. I'm more afraid of being disappointed than disturbed.

Comment

Many people will say that 911 does not have anything to do with the troops being overseas right now.

I have family members over in Iraq and Afghanistan that really don't care about 911... I myself don't think they would be there right now if it weren't for the events of 911

the point of the movie as far as I can see is to show someones point of view...

We on HawaiiThreads often argue many different things...

We often argue amongst eachother, however, when it comes to movie critiques about subjects such as this... I think this will become a real interesting thread as soon as more people actually view movie when it does open.

Manoa

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                Is it too soon? For a lot of people. But obviously not for everyone.
                I don't think it's too soon. But on the other hand the last thing I want to see is 10 different movies depicting the attack on 9/11/01 all released in one year.

Comment

Oliver Stone...ugh. I ain't going to one of his productions. Painful memories of his epic flop, Alexander. I morbidly wonder what kind of wacko conspiracies he'll work into this script.

Comment

Alexander? Its been playing a lot on HBO recently. That sucked so much.

I'm not a big Oliver Stone fan. Not a Nick Cage fan either. But I do hope this movie isn't convoluted, overdramatized or plain ole bad. For the sake of the the 9/11 folks at least.
                    Last edited by i-hungry; May 28, 2006, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I hope that Stone is ballsy enough to include mentioning the numerous "convert or kill" clauses that exist in the Quran. Reading the Quran, for me, was a very eye opening experience. A religion with a clear mandate to kill, and a bullet proof escape clause for the murderer, is something that is deserving of total extinction on planet Earth.

You ought to read it. Serious Chicken Skin.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

There's a long write-up about this film in Newsweek. Those looking for his traditional unsubtle political statements or allegations of conspiracies will be pretty disappointed. In fact, he keeps it simple (by Stone standards, at least) and real. Also worth reading for the overall commentary about the timing and challenges of reflecting 9/11 in art and mass media -- for which an interactive feature was created.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          Those looking for his traditional unsubtle political statements or allegations of conspiracies will be pretty disappointed. In fact, he keeps it simple (by Stone standards, at least) and real.
                          I read a piece in the New York Times Magazine recently, where Stone commented that he wasn't trying to present any conspiracy theories any longer, that he just wants to find powerful, real stories to tell. In addition, the lead actors spent a lot of time with the two firefighters whose story this is.

Originally posted by scrivener
                          I am not ready for a movie about these events
                          For those who would wish to read the stories of people who were inside the towers that morning (rather than see them on-screen), I would recommend the book "102 Minutes" by Jim Dwyer & Kevin Flynn.

Comment

saw a trailer.
                            he really milks it:
                            nick Cage. standing there. in front of a group of firefighters.

Who is goin in with me!?

pensive concerned looks from all....

One guy;

I'll go!

Nick:
                            Ok, good. one guy.
                            anyone else?

with the usual nick cage trademark quaalude facial expression and reaction....

ok, so this scene takes about a half minute.

did people really hesitate in real life?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              ok, so this scene takes about a half minute.
                              did people really hesitate in real life?
                              Well, about 15 seconds in the trailer I saw, but anyway - did they hesitate in real life? Probably - heroes are still human, and in every crisis situation, the mind takes a moment to process all the possibilities. Two seconds of hesitation to make a dramatic point in a film (oooh, foreshadowing! 'cause we all know what's going to happen to them); I can't fault that - this isn't a documentary.

Comment

Working...
                              X