Over the Hedge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over the Hedge

Just took the kids to the 10:45 a.m. showing of this kiddie flick. Not a particularly memorable film -- one of many CGI movies that are beginning to blend together in my head -- but fun enough. Chock full of celebrity voices (some of which I'm actually fond of), slapstick humor, and of course belching.

(There must be an MPAA quota for belching in kids' movies. Half the too-many trailers for other movies also featured belching.)

Along with the cheesy "family" and "loyalty" themes, the movie was packed with unsubtle social commentary, from "suburbs are bad" to "Americans are couch potatoes" and everything in between. Felt a bit of an ironic twinge watching it at the Mililani theaters.

Would you believe I never connected this movie to the comic strip? I'm still not sure if I'd have enjoyed it more or less if I'd had that knowledge going in.

Re: Over the Hedge

I really like the comic strip and hesitate to see the movie because sometimes the movies/tv shows are so different from how the comics sound to me. For example, I like garfield in print but found the stuff on tv to be annoying. I think the best translation of a print comic in my memory is Boondocks.

Comment

the movie is great! there are literary lines stolen from Death of a Salesman and Citizen Kane.... there are good values shown such as families working together and bad things such as our tendency as a culture to snack. one of those movies that both kids and adults can laugh at and not because it was just soooo stupid but because it was actually funny!

Originally posted by hammy the squirrel from over the hedge
      But ...I like the cookie....
      Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

I saw this movie with a friend at Ward this afternoon. I liked this movie and this movie to me is way different in a better way from the strip that is shown here on the Sunday Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

The strip mostly shows RJ, Verne and Hammie. I don't remember any of other characters from the movie in the strip. Plus in the strip Hammie is drawn as an insane character, while in the movie he is depicted as one with a lot of energy and speed.

By the way, there is a scene after all the credits have finished rolling.
        Last edited by helen; June 10, 2006, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X