Any Yahoo! Literati Players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Yahoo! Literati Players?

Hey. I've been addicted to this game for going on ten years. Any of the rest of you play this game? I'd love to get a chance to play and chat with someone. If you've never played, I'd also love to help you learn. Just go to the Literati page (you'll be asked for your Yahoo! login if you aren't already logged in) and click "how to play" if you want to learn on your own.

Anyway, let me know if you'd like to meet up for a game. I promise not to whoop you too severely.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Any Yahoo! Literati Players?

Boy, Scriv, you have been into this game for a while.

Do you play on particular days of the week or at particular times? How does one find you, your table, or league, or whatever?

"The Macintosh program does not support livescript." D'oh! But aren't you on a Mac, too, Scriv? What's the trick?

Comment

Whatever "livescript" is, I haven't noticed any downside to my computer's not being able to use it. The game works fine.

The best way to find me if I'm on is to check the "intermediate" rooms or try to send me a Yahoo! IM. My Yahoo! name is "_scrivener_" without the quotation marks but with the underscores. I thought if someone was interested in playing, we could arrange a time/place through email or pm.

Anyone? Anyone?
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I used to play....

But sheesh... I'm scared to play scriv....(he must be killah at it by now!)

I used to have rating and all...(was at 1800 level maximum)

I used to love all the oldschool yahoo games...going back to Dominoes, Literatti, etc.

Haven't played Literatti in over 3 - 4 years now though....

manoa

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          Whatever "livescript" is, I haven't noticed any downside to my computer's not being able to use it. The game works fine.

The best way to find me if I'm on is to check the "intermediate" rooms or try to send me a Yahoo! IM. My Yahoo! name is "_scrivener_" without the quotation marks but with the underscores. I thought if someone was interested in playing, we could arrange a time/place through email or pm.

Anyone? Anyone?
          had you caught me about 3 years ago...

we could have killed a few hours!

Comment

I'd love to play, but for whatever reason, my laptop doesn't open up the window that the game is played within; all I get is a blank window with a red "x" in a box. And even after waiting for three minutes for the "applet" to load, and clicking where told to click when the game doesn't load, I still get nothing. Do I have to download something to my laptop in order to play Yahoo games?

Comment

SFB: Sorry, I never saw your post. You have to download the Java applet, but Yahoo is set to do that automatically. Sometimes computers will ask if you want to allow the install, which you should. Do you have weird Java settings in your browser, as far as you know?

Malia and I have played a few times in the past couple of weeks and have had nice conversation, too. It would be fun if more of you were interested in hanging out with us! We could chat and play and Malia could give you all a couple of lessons!
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I thought if someone was interested in playing, we could arrange a time/place through email or pm.
                Do you have a regular time and day, or is it whenever whim strikes? I'm hesitant to set a time, as in this house I never really know what's going to be going on at any given instant, but I'd love to know when I might be more likely to catch you!

Comment

SFB: Sorry, I never saw your post. You have to download the Java applet, but Yahoo is set to do that automatically. Sometimes computers will ask if you want to allow the install, which you should. Do you have weird Java settings in your browser, as far as you know?

Malia and I have played a few times in the past couple of weeks and have had nice conversation, too. It would be fun if more of you were interested in hanging out with us! We could chat and play and Malia could give you all a couple of lessons!
                  I'm using a plain, basic laptop (about 1.5 year old) with XP Home with IE. I've never, to my knowledge anyway, made any adjustments to the browser. When I have arrived at the Yahoo Literati page, and stalled out with the blank page and red "x", that's as far as I have gotten; Yahoo didn't procede with any installation, nor did my computer ask if I wanted an applet to be downloaded. I'm thinking maybe I should check to see if my browser is set NOT to D/L Java applets...when I first got this laptop, I seem to recall that I had it configured not to accept downloads from anybody. I had told the techs who configured this laptop that all I was going to do was surf the internet with it and not do any gaming, downloading of music or software, etc. Evidently, the PC is doing just that.

I'd love to give Literati a shot. I'm a somewhat accomplished Scrabble player, at least I am against my computer opponents on an old Win98-based computer I keep just so I can play Scrabble. I don't go online to play; rather I just play against 2 other opponents, one set at my normal level of play, the other at high champion caliber play. Generally speaking, I get whacked by my champion playing partner, but if I manage to get decent letters, along with the "X" and a blank, I do defeat him/her every now and then. Being a Scrabble player, I have gotten pretty good at using "oe", "qat", "ka", and other esoterically arcane words to make three or four word plays. I understand that Literati's play is different from Scrabble, especially in terms of scoring, yet it is a word game that isn't too far removed from Scrabble.

Anyway....I'll look into seeing what I can do about getting my laptop to accept the applet.

Comment

I'm on most nights between 7:00 and 12:00 our time; weekends it can be whenever. If I'm available to play, I'm signed in to Yahoo! Messenger, so it's easy to find me.

SFB, Literati is somewhat different, but yeah, it's close enough to Scrabble that experience at one will certainly help in the other. Just be aware that two weeks ago, Yahoo! modified its dictionary, so certain words of the "potentially offensive" variety are no longer accepted. This irritates me, but I guess I can live with it.
                    Last edited by scrivener; July 5, 2006, 12:04 AM. Reason: "there's a hole in my heart that can only be filled by you..."
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                    X