Scripps National Spelling Bee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scripps National Spelling Bee

Tonight on ABC they aired the Scripps National Spelling Bee finals live and two of the words were of Hawaiian origin.

Kamaaina - which was spelled correctly and
    Hukilau - which was spelled correctly.

It's funny that when they heard the origin was Hawaiian, it still took them a long time to spell them.

Re: Scripps National Spelling Bee

Did Jasmine make it to the TV round?

edit: just found out that Jasmine was eliminated in the fourth round yesterday, one round further than she went last year.
    Last edited by scrivener; June 1, 2006, 05:12 PM.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: Scripps National Spelling Bee

Originally posted by Kawika0320
      Tonight on ABC they aired the Scripps National Spelling Bee finals live and two of the words were of Hawaiian origin.

Kamaaina - which was spelled correctly and
      Hukilau - which was spelled correctly.

It's funny that when they heard the origin was Hawaiian, it still took them a long time to spell them.
      It was the eventual winner, a girl from NJ (yeah!), who correctly spelled hukilau. But not before my 6-year-old rattled it off in a flash! My kid was so excited about spelling a word that the winner got, that I think she now has aspirations of being a Scripps Bee Winner some day! I really enjoyed watching this for its last 45 minutes. The girl from Canada was my favorite, but she did seem to be getting a lot of words of French origin!
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
      X