Commuting on Maui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commuting on Maui

For the past 2 weeks, I have had the thrill of being among the tourists and locals fighting for space on the roads of Maui nui. Lemme tell you, it's worse than driving on the Mainland now because many of the "highways" have not been widened to accommodate more than 2 lanes of traffic each way.

I was fortunate enough to be staying in Central Maui, but even there, between about 7 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Kaahumanu Ave., which is the main thoroughfare between Wailuku and Kahului is jammed (3 lanes each way). Going to Lahaina just for holoholo? Fogettaboutit. I went over there around 7:30 one morning to watch the canoe carvers. Found a shady free parking space, but the choke point is the Pali highway with one lane going in each direction. Near gridlock from outside Oluwalu all the way through to Kaanapali.

What used to take about 5 minutes to get from Wailuku to Kahului now takes at least 15 minutes. Driving upcountry is no picnic either, especially if you go through Paia, which also has a choke point right in the middle of town.

About the only place on Maui that has even close to enough road capacity for all the cars is Kihei and Wailea, which now have 2 nice new roads between Kahului and South Maui.

So if you're planning to drive your car onto the Superferry and weren't planning to stay with ohana who live in Central Maui and don't want to feel like you're driving H-1 during the commute, find yourself a condo somewhere in the Kihei/Wailea area or it may be the last time you want to visit Maui.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain
Working...
X