Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This day in Hawai'i's history...

OK, we'll see how far we can go with this category:

What event occurred on January 20, 1900, that created a serious housing problem in Honolulu? And what was the government trying to do?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: This day in Hawai'i's history...

A big boat arrived from Asia?

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
      A big boat arrived from Asia?

nope. Try again.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The Chinatown fire?

Comment

Forgot the 2nd part of the question!
          It was a controlled fire to burn some wooden buildings but it went awry due to the wind. Dunno why they wanted to burn those buildings.

ETA: the wooden homes were considered bubonic plague infected so the fire was an attempt to curtail the plague! Google is my friend!
          Last edited by tutusue; June 3, 2006, 02:36 PM. Reason: further investigation!

Comment

Correct, TutuSue! And on Feb. 12, 1900, Kahului's 13-acre Chinatown was also burned down for the same reason.

Miulang

Comment

Next question: Hawai'i's working class has always been very pro-union. The Japanese plantation workers staged the first successful labor strike on Maui (and the then-Territory) against Pioneer and Oluwalu Plantations after 3 workers were killed. On what date did this 13-day strike start?

Miulang
              Last edited by Miulang; June 3, 2006, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                Next question: Hawai'i's working class has always been very pro-union. The Japanese plantation workers staged the first successful labor strike on Maui (and the then-Territory) against Pioneer and Oluwalu Plantations after 3 workers were killed. On what date did this 13-day strike start?

Miulang
                No takers? The correct answer is April 4, 1900.

Another easier question: On what day did Hawai'i officially become a territory of the US and who was its first Governor (appointed by Pres. Theodore Roosevelt)?

Miulang

Comment

August 12, 1898 - Sanford Dole
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
                    August 12, 1898 - Sanford Dole
                    You got the governor part correct, but not the date. There is some confusion about the actual date because Hawai'i officially became Hawai'i, T.H. on June 14, 1900, which was the date the Organic Act went into effect.

Previous to being named Governor of the Territory, Dole was a Supreme Court judge during the Monarchy, and then President of the Republic of Hawai'i. In between the time that the Monarchy ended and Hawai'i became a territory of the US, kanaka maoli were denied the right to vote in elections.

Miulang

Comment

Next question: On Feb. 27, 1901, Territorial Representative Jonah Kumalae introduced a resolution before the Territorial Legislature to ask the US Congress for what?

Miulang
                      Last edited by Miulang; June 4, 2006, 04:41 PM.

Comment

You are correct - I was thinking of the so-called "annexation" of Hawaii. As for the organic act, this is from the site you linked to:

ORGANIC ACT.

An Act to Provide a Government for the Territory of Hawaii

(Act of April 30, 1900, C 339, 31 Stat 141)

April 30th is the date recognized by many as the official beginning of the territory. in 2000, there was an attempt by the state to "celebrate" that date as the 100th anniversary. the state was thwarted by an independence group which already had the permit for `Iolani Palace grounds. After some wrangling, the independence group won. when the head of the parks & recreation dept. (Nagata) threatened to pull our permit - we promised him a press conference. the state backed down. we did however invite several state folks to speak at our event which they did - everything went very smoothly and it was a very good day.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Next question: On Feb. 27, 1901, Territorial Representative Jonah Kumalae introduced a resolution before the Territorial Legislature to ask the US Congress for what?

Miulang
                          Jonah Kumalae Sr. submitted a resolution before the Territorial Legislature requesting the US Congress to make Hawai'i a State. The resolution was defeated.

Interesting sidenote: Besides being a politician, Jonah Kumalae also manufactured ukuleles.
                          "...During his heyday in the 20s and 30s, Kumalae made over 600 ukuleles every month, employed 50 people and had a 20,000 square foot factory. He also made instruments for other companies, such as ukulele teachers Paul and Harold Summers. Kumalae ukuleles were known for their beautiful binding and very curly Hawaiian koa wood.

Unfortunately, like many other manufacturers, Kumalae closed his business in the early 40s due to a dropping off of business during the war....:

Here's a story about his son, Jonah Kumalae, Jr..

Comment

Next question: Which Honolulu hotel opened on March 11, 1901? It was the first major hotel in Waikiki and an incarnation of it still exists today. It cost $100k to build and boasted 200 rooms.

Miulang

Comment

Next question: Which Honolulu hotel opened on March 11, 1901? It was the first major hotel in Waikiki and an incarnation of it still exists today. It cost $100k to build and boasted 200 rooms.
                              Easy one! The Moana, now called the Sheraton Moana Surfrider.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X