PDA

View Full Version : This day in Hawai'i's history...

Miulang
June 3rd, 2006, 01:41 PM
OK, we'll see how far we can go with this category:

What event occurred on January 20, 1900, that created a serious housing problem in Honolulu? And what was the government trying to do?

Miulang

MadAzza
June 3rd, 2006, 01:43 PM
A big boat arrived from Asia?

:D

Miulang
June 3rd, 2006, 01:44 PM
A big boat arrived from Asia?

:D
nope. Try again.

tutusue
June 3rd, 2006, 02:28 PM
The Chinatown fire?

tutusue
June 3rd, 2006, 02:32 PM
Forgot the 2nd part of the question!
It was a controlled fire to burn some wooden buildings but it went awry due to the wind. Dunno why they wanted to burn those buildings.

ETA: the wooden homes were considered bubonic plague infected so the fire was an attempt to curtail the plague! Google is my friend!

Miulang
June 3rd, 2006, 02:38 PM
Correct, TutuSue! And on Feb. 12, 1900, Kahului's 13-acre Chinatown was also burned down for the same reason.

Miulang

Miulang
June 3rd, 2006, 02:43 PM
Next question: Hawai'i's working class has always been very pro-union. The Japanese plantation workers staged the first successful labor strike on Maui (and the then-Territory) against Pioneer and Oluwalu Plantations after 3 workers were killed. On what date did this 13-day strike start?

Miulang

Miulang
June 4th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Next question: Hawai'i's working class has always been very pro-union. The Japanese plantation workers staged the first successful labor strike on Maui (and the then-Territory) against Pioneer and Oluwalu Plantations after 3 workers were killed. On what date did this 13-day strike start?

Miulang
No takers? The correct answer is April 4, 1900.

Another easier question: On what day did Hawai'i officially become a territory of the US and who was its first Governor (appointed by Pres. Theodore Roosevelt)?

Miulang

anapuni808
June 4th, 2006, 02:15 PM
August 12, 1898 - Sanford Dole

Miulang
June 4th, 2006, 04:19 PM
August 12, 1898 - Sanford Dole
You got the governor part correct, but not the date. There is some confusion about the actual date because Hawai'i officially became Hawai'i, T.H. on June 14, 1900, which was the date the Organic Act (http://www.hawaii-nation.org/organic.html) went into effect.

Previous to being named Governor of the Territory, Dole was a Supreme Court judge during the Monarchy, and then President of the Republic of Hawai'i. In between the time that the Monarchy ended and Hawai'i became a territory of the US, kanaka maoli were denied the right to vote in elections.

Miulang

Miulang
June 4th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Next question: On Feb. 27, 1901, Territorial Representative Jonah Kumalae introduced a resolution before the Territorial Legislature to ask the US Congress for what?

Miulang

anapuni808
June 4th, 2006, 10:00 PM
You are correct - I was thinking of the so-called "annexation" of Hawaii. As for the organic act, this is from the site you linked to:

ORGANIC ACT.

An Act to Provide a Government for the Territory of Hawaii

(Act of April 30, 1900, C 339, 31 Stat 141)

April 30th is the date recognized by many as the official beginning of the territory. in 2000, there was an attempt by the state to "celebrate" that date as the 100th anniversary. the state was thwarted by an independence group which already had the permit for `Iolani Palace grounds. After some wrangling, the independence group won. when the head of the parks & recreation dept. (Nagata) threatened to pull our permit - we promised him a press conference. the state backed down. we did however invite several state folks to speak at our event which they did - everything went very smoothly and it was a very good day.

Miulang
June 5th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Next question: On Feb. 27, 1901, Territorial Representative Jonah Kumalae introduced a resolution before the Territorial Legislature to ask the US Congress for what?

Miulang
Jonah Kumalae Sr. submitted a resolution before the Territorial Legislature requesting the US Congress to make Hawai'i a State. The resolution was defeated.

Interesting sidenote: Besides being a politician, Jonah Kumalae also manufactured ukuleles.
"...During his heyday in the 20s and 30s, Kumalae (http://www.geocities.com/~ukulele/hawaiian.html) made over 600 ukuleles every month, employed 50 people and had a 20,000 square foot factory. He also made instruments for other companies, such as ukulele teachers Paul and Harold Summers. Kumalae ukuleles were known for their beautiful binding and very curly Hawaiian koa wood.

Unfortunately, like many other manufacturers, Kumalae closed his business in the early 40s due to a dropping off of business during the war....:

Here's a story about his son, Jonah Kumalae, Jr. (http://starbulletin.com/1999/03/01/news/story8.html).

Miulang
June 5th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Next question: Which Honolulu hotel opened on March 11, 1901? It was the first major hotel in Waikiki and an incarnation of it still exists today. It cost $100k to build and boasted 200 rooms.

Miulang

LikaNui
June 5th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Next question: Which Honolulu hotel opened on March 11, 1901? It was the first major hotel in Waikiki and an incarnation of it still exists today. It cost $100k to build and boasted 200 rooms. Easy one! The Moana, now called the Sheraton Moana Surfrider.

Leo Lakio
June 5th, 2006, 10:34 AM
For those interested in Hawaiian historical information, I recommend a writer who has been doing features for the past year-and-a-half for our monthly newspaper here in the Pacific NW, Roy Alameida (who has returned to the Islands, after some time on the Mainland.)

His series of articles can be found at http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/history2.htm

Miulang
June 5th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Easy one! The Moana, now called the Sheraton Moana Surfrider.
Perfecto, Lika! Now here's another one that's a little tougher, but an interesting note in Hawai'i's history:
What group of immigrants first arrived in Hawai'i on January 2, 1901? There were 21 in this original group who went to work at C. Brewer's Wailuku Plantation. Over the next few years, more members (about 200) of this ethnic group arrived to work on the plantations, but the 1903 Federal Labor Report noted that most of them had left Hawai'i because the cost of living was too high.

Miulang

Miulang
June 6th, 2006, 08:05 AM
What group of immigrants first arrived in Hawai'i on January 2, 1901? There were 21 in this original group who went to work at C. Brewer's Wailuku Plantation. Over the next few years, more members (about 200) of this ethnic group arrived to work on the plantations, but the 1903 Federal Labor Report noted that most of them had left Hawai'i because the cost of living was too high.

Miulang
The answer to this question is African-Americans. The first 21 came from Nashville, TN. I find it ironic that the reason they gave for leaving the islands after only a few years was because the cost of living (even back then!) was too high.

Miulang

Miulang
June 6th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Another group of 110 immigrants first came to Hawai'i on Feb. 19, 1906. They emigrated from their homeland and came to America to escape religious persecution, and travelled from California to Hawai'i to work on the Makee Plantation on Kauai hoping to buy land. By 1910, 1,800 of these immigrants had arrived, but soon left because they were prohibited from buying land. What ethnic group is this?

Miulang

Miulang
June 7th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Another group of 110 immigrants first came to Hawai'i on Feb. 19, 1906. They emigrated from their homeland and came to America to escape religious persecution, and travelled from California to Hawai'i to work on the Makee Plantation on Kauai hoping to buy land. By 1910, 1,800 of these immigrants had arrived, but soon left because they were prohibited from buying land. What ethnic group is this?

Miulang
The answer is Russians.

Miulang
June 7th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Which Hawai'i TV station first went on the air with live programming on Dec. 1, 1952? It was seen by 10,000 viewers and had Carl Hebenstreit as its announcer. What was Carl Hebenstreit's TV name?

Miulang

zztype
June 7th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Which Hawai'i TV station first went on the air with live programming on Dec. 1, 1952? It was seen by 10,000 viewers and had Carl Hebenstreit as its announcer. What was Carl Hebenstreit's TV name?

Miulang
Kinipopo! Now works for Trade Publishing, I believe. Still kicking. Recent news article:

http://starbulletin.com/2006/01/17/business/story01.html

Miulang
June 7th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Kinipopo! Now works for Trade Publishing, I believe. Still kicking. Recent news article:

http://starbulletin.com/2006/01/17/business/story01.html
Correct, Blaine. Now what was the name of the TV station?

Miulang

Creative-1
June 7th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Correct, Blaine. Now what was the name of the TV station?

Miulang

KGMB was first on the TV airwaves. They didn't want to be second, as they were on the radio airwaves in 1922 (to KGU).

What does the GMB stand for. Hint: It's NOT Greater Mormon Broadcasting!

Miulang
June 8th, 2006, 07:28 AM
KGMB was first on the TV airwaves. They didn't want to be second, as they were on the radio airwaves in 1922 (to KGU).

What does the GMB stand for. Hint: It's NOT Greater Mormon Broadcasting!
George M. Bowles, the station's first chief engineer

Miulang

Miulang
June 8th, 2006, 07:44 AM
What series of natural events occurred on November 29, 1975? This trifecta had not occurred since April 2,1868.

Miulang

Leo Lakio
June 8th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Kilauea eruption, Kalapana earthquake and subsequent tsunami?

Miulang
June 8th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Kilauea eruption, Kalapana earthquake and subsequent tsunami?
Yup. The tsunami killed 2 people and the 7.2 earthquake caused $4 million in damage.

Miulang

Miulang
June 8th, 2006, 08:01 AM
On Aug. 2, 1918, a venerable Hawai'i retail institution was renamed from its original German name. What was the original name of that department store, and why was its name changed? It recently changed hands again.

Miulang

Leo Lakio
June 8th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Hackfeld & Co - changed to Liberty House (Hackfeld's was confiscated when the US entered the war) - now Macy's.

The AF from Kane`ohe worked for Liberty House downtown, long, long ago.

(Seattle in da house this morning! Questions & Answers both.)

Miulang
June 8th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Hackfeld & Co - changed to Liberty House (Hackfeld's was confiscated when the US entered the war) - now Macy's.

The AF from Kane`ohe worked for Liberty House downtown, long, long ago.

(Seattle in da house this morning! Questions & Answers both.)
Hackfeld & Co. had originally built their store as B.F. Ehlers & Co. It was seized in 1918 under the 1917 Trading with the Enemies Law, which prohibited German ownership of American businesses. American Factors (which later became Amfac) was the new company that bought out Hackfield and renamed the store The Liberty House because it sounded patriotic. For many years after the "purchase", Hackfield protested the amount they received for the purchase ($7.5 million) was inadequate, but lost the battle for additional compensation.

Miulang

Miulang
June 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM
What Honolulu school opened on Sept. 11, 1908? It had been created originally in 1865 as Fort Street English Day School, and in 1895 is renamed Honolulu High School.

Miulang

Miulang
June 9th, 2006, 10:44 AM
What Honolulu school opened on Sept. 11, 1908? It had been created originally in 1865 as Fort Street English Day School, and in 1895 is renamed Honolulu High School.

Miulang
Honolulu High School eventually became McKinley High School (right, Auntie Pupule? ;) )

Miulang

Miulang
June 9th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Next question: A new hospital opened in Honolulu on September 27, 1918. When it was first established in July, 1900, it was called Japanese Charity Hospital because of a donation from the Japanese Imperial Family and because it gave free medical care. When the hospital opened at its new site in 1918, what was its new name?

Miulang

Glen Miyashiro
June 9th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Next question: A new hospital opened in Honolulu on September 27, 1918. When it was first established in July, 1900, it was called Japanese Charity Hospital because of a donation from the Japanese Imperial Family and because it gave free medical care. When the hospital opened at its new site in 1918, what was its new name?Japanese hospital in Honolulu? Gotta be Kuakini. :rolleyes:

Miulang
June 9th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Japanese hospital in Honolulu? Gotta be Kuakini. :rolleyes:
Yup. That's the one!

Miulang

Miulang
June 9th, 2006, 11:18 AM
On July 3, 1935, a radio program to promote Hawai'i as a tourist destination was first aired nationally and internationally. What was it called, and who created the show? Who was the musical director?

Miulang

Leo Lakio
June 9th, 2006, 11:26 AM
"Hawai`i Calls" - Webley Edwards - Al Kealoha Perry

Miulang
June 9th, 2006, 11:31 AM
"Hawai`i Calls" - Webley Edwards - Al Kealoha Perry
You got the name of the show and the creator correct, Leo, but the first musical director was Harry Owens. It ceased airing on Aug. 16, 1975 when the State of Hawaii and the Hawaii Visitors Bureau ceased funding the show.

Interesting sidenote about Webley Edwards: When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, his was the voice on the radio that said, "Attention. This is no exercise. The Japanese are attacking Pearl Harbor!....All Army, Navy and Marine personnel to report to duty".

Miulang

Leo Lakio
June 9th, 2006, 11:37 AM
You got the name of the show and the creator correct, Leo, but the first musical director was Harry Owens.Ah, well --- two out of three --- that's still enough to get Carl Kassel's voice on my answering machine, isn't it?

Miulang
June 9th, 2006, 11:39 AM
On Nov. 9, 1953, the first section of what is to later become the H-1 Freeway is open. 3 westbound lanes go from where to where?

Miulang

pzarquon
June 9th, 2006, 04:46 PM
On Nov. 9, 1953, the first section of what is to later become the H-1 Freeway is open. 3 westbound lanes go from where to where?I love Hawaii highway trivia! (Though I haven't done anything with HawaiiRoads.com (http://www.hawaiiroads.com/) for a while.) Your answer comes most succinctly from The Honolulu Advertiser: "The first mile of the six-lane Lunalilo Freeway (http://hotspots.honoluluadvertiser.com/spot/2005/fastlane) (formerly the Mauka Arterial) was opened to Ewaibound traffic in 1953 and stretched from Old Waialae Road to Alexander Street." There's a picture from around that time (http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Interstate-H1-page2.htm) on my friend Oscar Voss' great site, HawaiiHighways.com.

Ah, well --- two out of three --- that's still enough to get Carl Kassel's voice on my answering machine, isn't it?Ha! Another "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me!" fan, eh? I swear, if I had the chance to do a local radio quiz show on HPR, I'd call it, "Try Wait, I Get Um!"

Miulang
June 9th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Correct, Ryan!

Now here's another piece of highway trivia: Where was the first tunnel in Hawai'i on a public road opened on Oct. 10, 1951?

Miulang

kamuelakea
June 9th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Correct, Ryan!

Now here's another piece of highway trivia: Where was the first tunnel in Hawai'i on a public road opened on Oct. 10, 1951?

Miulang

1951 don't know. But the word public must be critical since the Kahala tunnel through Diamond Head was built in the 1940s. Must have been private.

As far as public in 51? I dunno. How about the one when you headed to Lahaina from Wailuku.

Miulang
June 9th, 2006, 07:24 PM
1951 don't know. But the word public must be critical since the Kahala tunnel through Diamond Head was built in the 1940s. Must have been private.

As far as public in 51? I dunno. How about the one when you headed to Lahaina from Wailuku.
You're correct, Kamuela. The Oluwalu/Pali tunnel on Maui was the first tunnel constructed on a public road. My dad helped build it, and my grandpa was a civil engineer on that project.

Miulang

Miulang
June 9th, 2006, 07:34 PM
On Aug. 24, 1927, a $250,000 memorial dedicated to the memory of Hawai'i's WWI casualties was opened on Oahu. What was its name?

Miulang

kamuelakea
June 9th, 2006, 07:41 PM
On Aug. 24, 1927, a $250,000 memorial dedicated to the memory of Hawai'i's WWI casualties was opened on Oahu. What was its name?

Miulang

Nataorium and I like SNAP when I think about this thing. I could start ruining did thread so I won't say anyting else. But Shame on the condition of a WWI "memorial".

Okay, I shut up.

kamuelakea
June 9th, 2006, 07:43 PM
You're correct, Kamuela. The Oluwalu/Pali tunnel on Maui was the first tunnel constructed on a public road. My dad helped build it, and my grandpa was a civil engineer on that project.

Miulang

Pretty much garanz your ohana knows my ohana. My father and grandparents are from Maui and lived there at that time as well. It was a very small place so I'm sure they knew or were related to each other somehow. Don't ask me who, I not telling. I still like shoot my mout off.

Miulang
June 9th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Nataorium and I like SNAP when I think about this thing. I could start ruining did thread so I won't say anyting else. But Shame on the condition of a WWI "memorial".

Okay, I shut up.
Yeah, it really is pathetic that this memorial has been allowed to deteriorate to the sorry condition that it's in now. Small kid time, my parents would take me there to dip my toes after a hot day at the zoo.

Miulang

Miulang
June 9th, 2006, 07:48 PM
On March 19, 1904, the Waikiki Aquarium opens. It is the 3rd US aquarium and the 12th in the world. What company built it, and who owned that company?

Miulang

Menehune Man
June 10th, 2006, 01:58 AM
On March 19, 1904, the Waikiki Aquarium opens. It is the 3rd US aquarium and the 12th in the world. What company built it, and who owned that company?Miulang

The Honolulu Rapid Transit Authority.

Castle?

Miulang
June 10th, 2006, 07:48 AM
The Honolulu Rapid Transit Authority.

Castle?
No foget da "& Cooke" part! ;)

Miulang

Miulang
June 10th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Speaking of the HRT&L, it began street car service on Aug. 31, 1901 (replacing horses and buggies) and had 20,000 riders on its first day of service. By 1910, 9 million riders paid a fare of a nickle to ride the line, which extended from where to what "suburbs"? HRT&L bought out a competitor in January, 1903. What was the name of that competitor?

Miulang

Miulang
June 11th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Speaking of the HRT&L, it began street car service on Aug. 31, 1901 (replacing horses and buggies) and had 20,000 riders on its first day of service. By 1910, 9 million riders paid a fare of a nickle to ride the line, which extended from where to what "suburbs"? HRT&L bought out a competitor in January, 1903. What was the name of that competitor?

Miulang
The routes ran from Kalihi to Kaimuki,Waikiki and Manoa. HRT&L bought out Hawaiian Tramways in 1903.

Miulang

Miulang
June 11th, 2006, 10:53 AM
On May 4, 1990, 65 residents out of Milolii's (Big Island) 125 residents travelled to Honolulu to protest the building of a $700 million resort in their village. What was the name of that resort that never got built? The proposed plans called for 3 hotels, over 1,000 rooms and a marina.

Miulang

Miulang
June 12th, 2006, 07:31 AM
On May 4, 1990, 65 residents out of Milolii's (Big Island) 125 residents travelled to Honolulu to protest the building of a $700 million resort in their village. What was the name of that resort that never got built? The proposed plans called for 3 hotels, over 1,000 rooms and a marina.

Miulang
The answer is "Hawaiian Riviera". Mahalo ke akua this thing ran out of steam before it was built! Miloli'i is called the last true Hawaiian fishing village, and the residents there are proud of their heritage and the legends that surround its survival in the past.

Miulang

Miulang
June 12th, 2006, 07:39 AM
On January 25, 1917, 'Ainahau, the 12-acre Waikiki home of Archibald Cleghorn, is sold and divided into house lots. In 1921, the house of James Pratt, which was built on that estate land, burns down. What is eventually built in its place?

Miulang

Miulang
June 13th, 2006, 08:00 AM
On January 25, 1917, 'Ainahau, the 12-acre Waikiki home of Archibald Cleghorn, is sold and divided into house lots. In 1921, the house of James Pratt, which was built on that estate land, burns down. What is eventually built in its place?

Miulang
The building that now exists on that site is the Sheraton Princess Kai'ulani Hotel.

Miulang

Miulang
June 13th, 2006, 08:02 AM
On Oct. 3, 1968, EK Fernandez announced plans to develop Koko Head Crater. What was he going to put in there?

Miulang

anapuni808
June 13th, 2006, 01:36 PM
an amusement park?

lurkah
June 13th, 2006, 02:03 PM
On Oct. 3, 1968, EK Fernandez announced plans to develop Koko Head Crater. What was he going to put in there?

A restaurant (http://starbulletin.com/1999/01/25/features/story2.html) at the very top. I remember the huge revolving radar that sat slowly spinning atop the crater and watching the cable car taking people up and down its steep side.

anapuni808
June 13th, 2006, 02:09 PM
well, I sure didn't remember that one! but 1968 was kind of a busy year for me so there are a lot of things that have slipped my mind from those days - well, maybe a few senior moments here & there................... :D

Miulang
June 13th, 2006, 04:26 PM
A restaurant (http://starbulletin.com/1999/01/25/features/story2.html) at the very top. I remember the huge revolving radar that sat slowly spinning atop the crater and watching the cable car taking people up and down its steep side.
You're correct, Lurkah! :D

Miulang
June 13th, 2006, 05:10 PM
On April 9, 1959, the 7 original Mercury mission astronauts are introduced by NASA. Two have ties to Hawai'i. Who were they, and what was their relationship to Hawai'i?

Miulang

Miulang
June 14th, 2006, 09:34 AM
On April 9, 1959, the 7 original Mercury mission astronauts are introduced by NASA. Two have ties to Hawai'i. Who were they, and what was their relationship to Hawai'i?

Miulang
The 2 astronauts were Wally Schirra, whose parents lived in Foster Village, and Gordon Cooper, who attended UH as an Engineering student from 1946-40.

Miulang

Miulang
June 14th, 2006, 10:45 AM
On Nov. 23, 1981, 130-year old Love's Bakery is sold for $7 million. Who is the new buyer?

Miulang

LikaNui
June 14th, 2006, 11:38 AM
On Nov. 23, 1981, 130-year old Love's Bakery is sold for $7 million. Who is the new buyer?
Easy one.
A rich person. A very rich person.
;)

Miulang
June 14th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Easy one.
A rich person. A very rich person.
;)
Nah...was one company from Japan. But which company?

Leo Lakio
June 14th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Nah...was one company from Japan. But which company?First Baking.

Miulang
June 14th, 2006, 11:57 AM
First Baking.
Yup. The name of the Hawai'i subsidiary is officially Daiichiya-Love's Bakery

Miulang
June 14th, 2006, 12:01 PM
On Jan. 16, 1987, a museum is opened on the Chain of Craters Road. Who was it named for?

Miulang

Leo Lakio
June 14th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Yup. The name of the Hawai'i subsidiary is officially Daiichiya-Love's BakeryAnd "Daiichiya" in this context probably means "First Company" or "First Shop."

Leo Lakio
June 14th, 2006, 12:25 PM
On Jan. 16, 1987, a museum is opened on the Chain of Craters Road. Who was it named for?Thomas A. Jaggar, geology prof at MIT.
(Oh, and first Director of the Hawai`i Volcano Observatory - kind of a key thing to remember.)

Miulang
June 14th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Thomas A. Jaggar, geology prof at MIT.
(Oh, and first Director of the Hawai`i Volcano Observatory - kind of a key thing to remember.)
Yup. That's correct.

Miulang
June 14th, 2006, 12:46 PM
On Nov. 4, 1924, the first woman elected to the Hawai'i Legislature is elected. Her name is Rosalie Keli'inoi, a Republican from Kauai (born in Wailuku). For what legislation is she remembered?

Miulang

Lei Liko
June 14th, 2006, 12:53 PM
On Nov. 4, 1924, the first woman elected to the Hawai'i Legislature is elected. Her name is Rosalie Keli'inoi, a Republican from Kauai (born in Wailuku). For what legislation is she remembered?

Miulang

She sponsored a law that gave women the right to own property in their own name.

[I actually remembered this one from Women's History Month in HS] ;)

Miulang
June 14th, 2006, 12:55 PM
She sponsored a law that gave women the right to own property in their own name.

[I actually remembered this one from Women's History Month in HS] ;)
Not only that, but she advocated for community property rights for women and to allow women to make their own contracts. A woman ahead of her time...

Miulang

Miulang
June 14th, 2006, 12:59 PM
On Sept. 14, 1922, an amusement park opened up next to Ft. DeRussy. What was it called? It closed down in the 1930s.

Miulang

Miulang
June 15th, 2006, 08:55 AM
On Sept. 14, 1922, an amusement park opened up next to Ft. DeRussy. What was it called? It closed down in the 1930s.

Miulang
This 5-acre amusement park was called Aloha Amusement Park. It welcomed 10,000 visitors on its first day of operations and cost $250,000 to build.

Miulang
June 15th, 2006, 08:57 AM
May 11, 1922 was a first in Hawai'i radio history. What were the call letters of the first commercial radio station that started operations that day, and what were the call letters of the second radio station that went on air just 15 minutes later?

Miulang

Miulang
June 16th, 2006, 09:39 AM
May 11, 1922 was a first in Hawai'i radio history. What were the call letters of the first commercial radio station that started operations that day, and what were the call letters of the second radio station that went on air just 15 minutes later?

Miulang
KGU (owned by the Honolulu Advertiser) was the first commercial radio station on the air. 15 minutes later, station KDYX (later to become KGMB and KSSK---owned by the Star Bulletin) went on the air.

Miulang
June 16th, 2006, 09:45 AM
In November, 1987 Honolulu Magazine celebrated its centennial. What was its name for most of those 100 years?

Miulang

Creative-1
June 16th, 2006, 09:07 PM
In November, 1987 Honolulu Magazine celebrated its centennial. What was its name for most of those 100 years?

Miulang

"Paradise of the Pacific."

It was an outward looking magazine designed to show the world that Hawaii was a civilized place (and worthy of consideration for statehood, among other things).

Honolulu Magazine is now mostly for in-state consumption,
giving island residents insight into each other.

Miulang
June 18th, 2006, 01:40 PM
"Paradise of the Pacific."

It was an outward looking magazine designed to show the world that Hawaii was a civilized place (and worthy of consideration for statehood, among other things).

Honolulu Magazine is now mostly for in-state consumption,
giving island residents insight into each other.
Correct! It was called "Paradise of the Pacific" Magazine from its inception in 1888 through July, 1966, when it changed its name to "Honolulu Magazine".

Miulang
June 18th, 2006, 01:54 PM
On April 18, 1905, Hawai'i's first neighbor island public high school is opened with 20 students. Previous to this, all neighbor island high school students had to attend Honolulu High School. What is the name of that neighbor island high school?

Miulang

liberty
June 18th, 2006, 02:46 PM
On April 18, 1905, Hawai'i's first neighbor island public high school is opened with 20 students. Previous to this, all neighbor island high school students had to attend Honolulu High School. What is the name of that neighbor island high school?

Miulang

Was it Hilo High School?

Miulang
June 18th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Was it Hilo High School?
Correcto, Liberty! :)

Miulang
June 18th, 2006, 02:58 PM
On May 1, 1928, a 7-mile road--the first federally-financed road in Hawai'i-- opens. Where was it?

Miulang

Creative-1
June 18th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Miulang

Three neighbor island public high school's roots go back to the 1880s:

Waimea High - 1882
Kapaa High - 1883
Honokaa High - 1889

But...I believe they began as elementary schools and didn't become high schools until the 1930s.

Miulang
June 18th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Three neighbor island public high school's roots go back to the 1880s:

Waimea High - 1882
Kapaa High - 1883
Honokaa High - 1889

But...I believe they began as elementary schools and didn't become high schools until the 1930s.
I was looking for Hilo High as the answer. However, here's another curious footnote regarding the establishment of "English standard schools (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/JWCRAWFORD/anatomy.htm)" (which is what schools like McKinley and Hilo High started out as):

"...The United States annexed the independent nation of Hawai‘i in 1898, five years after U.S. Marines were used in a coup to overthrow the Hawaiian monarchy. The cultural penetration of the islands had occurred decades earlier, via American missionaries and sugar planters. In the 1820s the missionaries developed an orthography for the Hawaiian language and began to translate religious texts and publish newspapers in the vernacular. Owing to mass enthusiasm among adults and a compulsory schooling law for children, by 1850 the great majority of Hawaiians were reportedly literate in their mother tongue (Kloss, 1998).

As Americans gained influence, however, and Hawaiian elites surrendered more land for plantations and more power to foreign appointees, there were pressures to anglicize the population. Hawai‘i’s superintendent of education, the Reverend Richard Armstrong, advocated the gradual replacement of Hawaiian with ‘a better language …what is now, to a great extent, the business language of the Islands, and which would open to [the native child’s] mind new and exhaustless treasures of moral and intellectual wealth’ (Reinecke, 1969: 45). In 1853, English instruction was introduced for Hawaiian children. In 1896, it became the sole medium of public schooling, by decree of the so-called Republic of Hawaii, the colonial government-in-waiting (Huebner, 1985).

By that time, following the large-scale importation of immigrant labor by the sugar plantations – notably Japanese, Chinese, Portuguese, Puerto Ricans, Spanish, Koreans, and Filipinos – full-blooded Hawaiians had been reduced to less than 20 percent of the population. Hawaiian Pidgin English (HPE) flowered in response to the communication needs of these diverse groups, an unstable medium that grafted Hawaiian and English words onto each speaker’s native grammar (Sato, 1985). Children then developed HPE into Hawaiian Creole English (HCE), a fully expressive language, which in practice became the vernacular of most Hawaiian schools in the early 20th century.

This situation provoked complaints from haole (white anglophone) parents, a small but influential minority who wanted their children educated in standard English, without the ‘corrupting influences’ of HPE and HCE speakers – that is, the offspring of plantation laborers (Stueber, 1981: 27). Adopting a recommendation by the federal Bureau of Education, in 1920 the Territory of Hawaii established a two-tier system in which students were ostensibly assigned to schools on the basis of English proficiency. In practice, this meant racial segregation, with haoles assigned to ‘English standard schools’ and non-whites to other public schools. By the time this discriminatory system was dismantled in the 1950s, language had become an especially salient marker of socioeconomic status in Hawaiian society. Being labeled a ‘Pidgin’ [HCE] speaker was considered by many a liability in the job market, associated as it was with the plantation and with the minimal intelligence assumed necessary for manual labor. …[A]s the middle class’s identity with [standard English] developed, so the working class’s alienation from it increased. More than ever before, HCE came to delineate class as well as ethnic differences among the people of Hawaii. (Sato, 1985: 265)
Meanwhile, the Hawaiian language continued to decline, along with all but the most recently imported immigrant tongues. Again, despite its assimilationist trappings, the colonial language policy served to reinforce rather than dismantle social inequality. ..."

Pidgin, anyone? ;)

Miulang

Miulang
June 19th, 2006, 08:48 AM
On May 1, 1928, a 7-mile road--the first federally-financed road in Hawai'i-- opens. Where was it?

Miulang
The answer is the Chain of Craters Road in Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park.

Miulang
June 19th, 2006, 08:53 AM
On Feb. 24, 1928, the first Mainland chain supermarket opened on Beretania St. on Oahu. What was the name of that chain?

Miulang

Miulang
June 20th, 2006, 10:19 AM
On Feb. 24, 1928, the first Mainland chain supermarket opened on Beretania St. on Oahu. What was the name of that chain?

Miulang
Piggly Wiggly! Amazing that it doesn't still stores in Hawai'i...

Miulang
June 20th, 2006, 10:23 AM
On Nov. 21, 1927, Hawai'i welcomed the first Matson luxury cruise ship, which was on its maiden voyage from San Francisco. What was its name?

Miulang

Creative-1
June 20th, 2006, 05:46 PM
On Nov. 21, 1927, Hawai'i welcomed the first Matson luxury cruise ship, which was on its maiden voyage from San Francisco. What was its name?

Miulang

Malolo. The beverage company borrowed the name.

BTW, Wiliiam Matson took to the sea from Sweden at 10 and liked to boast that he never had a formal day of schooling in his life.

If I can tag onto your trivia question:
1) Which Matson ship is still in Hawaii?
2) What were the original Matson hotels and who later bought them?

Miulang
June 20th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Malolo. The beverage company borrowed the name.

BTW, Wiliiam Matson took to the sea from Sweden at 10 and liked to boast that he never had a formal day of schooling in his life.

If I can tag onto your trivia question:
1) Which Matson ship is still in Hawaii?
2) What were the original Matson hotels and who later bought them?
The 4 hotels were the Royal Hawaiian, the Moana, the Surfrider and the Princess Kaiulani. In 1959, Matson divested itself of the hotels which were sold to Sheraton.

Matson is now a subsidiary of A&B and I think they are out of the cruise business. Their main business now is hauling cargo.

Miulang

Creative-1
June 20th, 2006, 09:59 PM
The 4 hotels were the Royal Hawaiian, the Moana, the Surfrider and the Princess Kaiulani. In 1959, Matson divested itself of the hotels which were sold to Sheraton.

Matson is now a subsidiary of A&B and I think they are out of the cruise business. Their main business now is hauling cargo.

Miulang

...and the name of the last of Willaim Matson's ships still in Hawaii??? (NOT the modern Matson containers)

Hint: She was built in 1878 in Scotland. Her maiden voyage took her to Pakistan, and her first six years were spent in the India trade. She then became a tramp pursuing general cargo such as lumber, jute, cement, and wheat from ports in Australia, California, India, New Zealand, and the British Isles.

Captain William Matson purchased her 21 years later for $25,000 and brought her to Honolulu in 1899.

When Hawaii was annexed by the US, it took a special act of Congress to secure the foreign-built ship the right to fly the Stars and Stripes.

And it's name is?????

lurkah
June 21st, 2006, 03:33 AM
...and the name of the last of Willaim Matson's ships still in Hawaii???

Falls of Clyde.

Miulang
June 21st, 2006, 07:40 AM
Oh, and those 4 Matson hotels were sold to Sheraton in 1959 for only $18 MILLION. Can you imagine how much they could cost today??? :eek:

Miulang

Miulang
June 21st, 2006, 09:00 AM
On Dec. 7, 1942, the Honolulu Parks Department orders the destruction and melting of a fountain in Kapiolani Park. What was the name of the fountain, who gave the fountain to the city, and why was it given to Hawai'i in 1919?

Miulang

Miulang
June 22nd, 2006, 11:04 AM
On Dec. 7, 1942, the Honolulu Parks Department orders the destruction and melting of a fountain in Kapiolani Park. What was the name of the fountain, who gave the fountain to the city, and why was it given to Hawai'i in 1919?

Miulang
The name of it was the Phoenix water fountain. It was given to the people of Hawai'i by Japanese residents to commemorate the 5th anniversary of Emperor Yoshito's ascension to the throne. It was ordered to be destroyed and turned into scrap metal because it supposedly represented Japanese imperalism at a time when the US was engaged in a war with Japan.

Miulang
June 22nd, 2006, 11:22 AM
On another thread, affiliation with the Communist Party was brought up. On Oct. 15, 1948, a UH research chemist resigned from the University to become the full-time chairman of the Hawai'i Communist Party. Who was he?

Miulang

Paul
June 22nd, 2006, 11:40 AM
On another thread, affiliation with the Communist Party was brought up. On Oct. 15, 1948, a UH research chemist resigned from the University to become the full-time chairman of the Hawai'i Communist Party. Who was he?

Miulang

The only famous Communist I've heard of in Hawai'i was Koji Ariyoshi.

Leo Lakio
June 22nd, 2006, 11:49 AM
On another thread, affiliation with the Communist Party was brought up.Oh, you clever cross-threader, you. ;)

Miulang
June 22nd, 2006, 11:49 AM
The only famous Communist I've heard of in Hawai'i was Koji Ariyoshi.
No, it wasn't Koji Ariyoshi, but it was another man with a Japanese name. When this man became the chairman of the Hawai'i Communist Party, it brought the political party out from the shadows.

Ariyoshi was the publisher of the Honolulu Record, which was a progressive newspaper that focused on investigative reporting. The last issue of the paper was published on July 3, 1958. Ariyoshi was arrested in 1951 as an alleged Communist, but an appeals court reversed the conviction in 1958.

One other famous Communist (who later denounced his membership and started accusing others of being Communists) was Ichiro Izuka, who was a leader in the ILWU.

Good guess, though, Paul!

Miulang

Glen Miyashiro
June 22nd, 2006, 11:51 AM
Hmm. And I don't think it would have been Oliver Lee -- wrong UH department, and before his time too.

Paul
June 23rd, 2006, 01:29 PM
Charles Fujimoto. He was arrested along with the aforementioned Koji Ariyoshi. I cheated though. I looked up this article (http://starbulletin.com/1999/10/18/special/story3.html).

Miulang
June 25th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Charles Fujimoto. He was arrested along with the aforementioned Koji Ariyoshi. I cheated though. I looked up this article (http://starbulletin.com/1999/10/18/special/story3.html).
You are correct, Paul. :)

Miulang
June 25th, 2006, 04:48 PM
On Nov. 30, 1931, Foster Gardens was created as a result of a gift to the city of Honolulu from the estate of Mary Foster. Who did Mary and Tom Foster buy the 6-acre property from in 1880?

Miulang

Miulang
June 27th, 2006, 08:30 AM
On Nov. 30, 1931, Foster Gardens was created as a result of a gift to the city of Honolulu from the estate of Mary Foster. Who did Mary and Tom Foster buy the 6-acre property from in 1880?

Miulang
Dr. William Hillebrand first established the gardens in 1851. The Fosters imported monkeys and a large tortoise that carried children on its back. Some interesting things about Dr. Hillebrand: he was a botanist who emigrated from Australia. While in Hawai'i, he shipped back to Melbourne many dried specimens of the flora of Hawai'i at that time. Many of the species he collected are now extinct, and the only traces of those species are now at the National Herbarium in Melbourne, Australia.

Miulang
June 27th, 2006, 01:36 PM
On Dec. 30, 1936 the Rev. Takie Okumura dedicated the new Makiki Christian Church. Why is this church so unique?

Miulang

Miulang
June 29th, 2006, 11:15 AM
On Dec. 30, 1936 the Rev. Takie Okumura dedicated the new Makiki Christian Church. Why is this church so unique?

Miulang
The architecture of this church was unique because it was designed to look like Otakasaka Castle in Rev. Okumura's hometown. Makiki Christian Church also united Japanese and Caucasian Christians, and many prominent Caucasians in the community gave money to help build the church.

Miulang
June 29th, 2006, 11:19 AM
On Dec. 15, 1997, the Federal Office of Management and Budget created a change in the categories of ethnic minorities that took effect with the 2000 census. What was that change?

Miulang

Miulang
June 30th, 2006, 10:13 AM
On Dec. 15, 1997, the Federal Office of Management and Budget created a change in the categories of ethnic minorities that took effect with the 2000 census. What was that change?

Miulang
The census category "Native Hawaiians or Other Pacific Islanders" was added.

Miulang
June 30th, 2006, 10:15 AM
On Aug. 6, 1969, a soldier went AWOL from the Vietnam conflict and sought refuge in what Oahu church? It was the first church in Hawai'i to offer sanctuary to military protestors of the war.

Miulang

Miulang
July 1st, 2006, 07:11 PM
On Aug. 6, 1969, a soldier went AWOL from the Vietnam conflict and sought refuge in what Oahu church? It was the first church in Hawai'i to offer sanctuary to military protestors of the war.

Miulang
Church of the Crossroads. After a peace march in Waikiki, another 7 soldiers take refuge there. By Sept. 12, a total of 34 soldiers have sought sanctuary, most of them at Church of the Crossroads, but also some at the Unitarian Church at Pali and at the Quaker Society of Friends in Manoa. On that day, 40 military police break down the doors of the Church of the Crossroads at dawn without displaying search warrants and attempt to arrest the soldiers. Only 8 are arrested at that time...the rest either eventually surrender, are arrested or move to Canada to seek asylum.

Miulang

Miulang
July 1st, 2006, 07:14 PM
On Aug. 3, 1970, the Ala Moana Hotel opened. Who were its original owners, and what was its most notable feature?

Miulang

Miulang
July 4th, 2006, 10:51 AM
On Aug. 3, 1970, the Ala Moana Hotel opened. Who were its original owners, and what was its most notable feature?

Miulang
The hotel was originally owned by American Airlines and the Dillingham Corp. At 38 stories, it was at the time the tallest building in Hawai'i. It is now owned by Vantis International Corp, which is HQ'd in Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Miulang
July 4th, 2006, 10:56 AM
On January 31, 1994, the first Hawaiian-language news broadcast was aired over KKUA and public radio KHPR. Who was its host?

Miulang

Miulang
July 5th, 2006, 05:31 PM
On January 31, 1994, the first Hawaiian-language news broadcast was aired over KKUA and public radio KHPR. Who was its host?

Miulang
Keith Haugen (http://www.hawaiiansong.com/index2.html), part of the Hawaiian entertainment duo of Keith and Carmen Haugen, who won a Hawaii Music Foundation award this year and just released a compilation of their favorite Hawaiian songs.

Miulang
July 5th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Speaking of the Space Shuttle launch, on May 15, 1997, 2 astronauts with Hawai'i connections, Ed Lu and Carlos Nobriega, docked with the Russian space station for 9 days while on board the space shuttle Atlantis. What was their Hawai'i connection and what did Ed Lu bring aboard the flight?

Miulang

Miulang
July 7th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Speaking of the Space Shuttle launch, on May 15, 1997, 2 astronauts with Hawai'i connections, Ed Lu and Carlos Nobriega, docked with the Russian space station for 9 days while on board the space shuttle Atlantis. What was their Hawai'i connection and what did Ed Lu bring aboard the flight?

Miulang
From 1992-95, Ed Lu was a post-doctoral fellow at UH's Institute for Astronomy. Carlos Noriega was stationed at Kaneohe Marine Base from 1983-85. Ed Lu took Kona coffee, macadamia nuts, Hawaiian bird feathers and a fishhook on his space flight.

Miulang
July 7th, 2006, 07:28 PM
When the Pentagon closed down the Barber's Point Naval Airstation on July 2, 1999, what name did it revert to?

Miulang

Miulang
July 9th, 2006, 01:09 PM
When the Pentagon closed down the Barber's Point Naval Airstation on July 2, 1999, what name did it revert to?

Miulang
The name reverted back to Kalaeloa.

Miulang
July 10th, 2006, 08:25 AM
On June 30, 1959, the first commercial jet lands in Hawai'i. What company owned that jet, and what was its route?

Miulang

Miulang
July 12th, 2006, 09:11 AM
On June 30, 1959, the first commercial jet lands in Hawai'i. What company owned that jet, and what was its route?

Miulang
A Qantas Airways Boeing 707 flight from Sydney, Australia to San Francisco with a stop in Honolulu was the first time a commercial jet landed in Hawai'i.

Mahi Waina
July 12th, 2006, 10:19 AM
So did Riki Koala eat Taro bushes, say shoots den, and leave?