The demographics of Hawai'i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The demographics of Hawai'i

Contrary to popular beliefs, Caucasians (who identify themselves as being exclusively from that group) are the largest ethnic population in the State (at about 24%), according to the latest HMSA "Health Trends in Hawai'i" report just released. There is no one ethnic group that comprises a majority anymore, although if you lump non-Caucasians together (all Asians and Hawaiians and part Hawaiians) that combined group would comprise the majority. Of course, Maui's population kinda skews the whole thing because Caucasians comprise more than 34% of the population on the Valley Isle (hence the perjorative "Mainland Maui").

If you're really interested in knowing where Hawai'i is headed demographically, you should check out this website. There are more elderly people in Hawai'i than just about anywhere else, and they tend to live longer too, which means that Hawai'i will have more need for services to the elderly.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: The demographics of Hawai'i

Funny, ya know, I've never even seen the Caucasus's Mountains....Maybe I'm more of a Sierra Nevadan

Can't identify with the term Caucasian....it says nothing to me

The study of race and racial origin presumes some kind of difference among us.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Re: The demographics of Hawai'i

Originally posted by timkona

The study of race and racial origin presumes some kind of difference among us.

Well yeah because there are differences between us, between all of us.Those from the continental states have no little to no understanding of this, probably because they have nothing left that connects them with their ancestors.

Comment

Working...
      X