Professional Organizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional Organizations

There are quite a few of these for teachers; I belong to the National Council of Teachers of English, and will probably join NCTM(athematics) eventually. I've been nominated for membership in Pi Lambda Theta, an honors society for education students and teaching professionals, but I haven't decided if I'll accept.

Any of you belong to local/national/international professional organizations? Why or why not? What do you pay in membership dues?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Professional Organizations

Yeah I pay dues to be an AmSECT member (American Society of Extracorporeal Technology). I'm not really involved in the group, though.

Comment

NARAS/The Recording Academy (National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences - the Grammy folks) & HARA (Hawai`i Academy of Recording Arts - the Hoku folks.)

Dues-paying & voting member of both --- gives me access to information and contacts appropriate to my work in the music industry.

Comment

this has been deleted......
        Last edited by CranBeree; June 5, 2006, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I'm a recently lapsed member of the Society of Professional Journalists and the Asian American Journalists Association (which is holding its national conference right here in Hawaii this month). I loved their newsletters, and keeping up with media issues, but found membership mostly bummed me out over not working in the industry. Oh well. I got a couple of snazzy polo shirts, at least.

What I need is a Wannabe Journalists Association.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            I'm a recently lapsed member of the Society of Professional Journalists and the Asian American Journalists Association (which is holding its national conference right here in Hawaii this month). I loved their newsletters, and keeping up with media issues, but found membership mostly bummed me out over not working in the industry. Oh well. I got a couple of snazzy polo shirts, at least.

What I need is a Wannabe Journalists Association.

I used to be in SPJ, too. Used to be an officer here in Hawaii. But I was being a mom, being a freelancer, I couldn't do all I could for it. Plus, I wasn't employed, just freelancing, so I didn't feel really accepted. I would join your club, Ryan, but I actually feel with my working on two websites and putting out two quarterly newsletters at work--where I research, write, take photos, layout and design the whole shebang--that no one can say I'm not a journalist! That's eight newsletters! They are usually four to five stories each! I don't fluff up the aquaculture segment, I write what I see and learn. So I'm not doing fluff PR!
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I used to be a member of the I.O.O.B. -- International Order of Old Bastards.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNew.../05/58706.html

There's a motorcycle club borrowed the name. They're not the same guys.

Why yes, I am an Old Bastard!

(Can I say that on this board? Sorry if nocan. Admin go delete um...)

Blaine
              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Does the Film and Video Assoc. of Hawaii (FAVAH) count? Not an active group 'cuz everybody's working too hard to pull together meetings. I do manage their list serv tho'.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                  I used to be a member of the I.O.O.B. -- International Order of Old Bastards.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNew.../05/58706.html

There's a motorcycle club borrowed the name. They're not the same guys.

Why yes, I am an Old Bastard!

(Can I say that on this board? Sorry if nocan. Admin go delete um...)

Blaine
                  That reminds me! When I was a kid in South Jersey there were a bunch of old bastards about Blaine's age who were the "Royal Order of Skunks." They're goal in life was to get together and get drunk. Rent houses down the shore. Go to the shore bars. Hang out at each other's houses. I remember when they all gave us kids (and I had to be 8, my sister and brother younger), sips of scotch. oh yuk! They'd all go to the Super Bowl every year, etc. They were relatively harmless except for the dirty jokes. Thanks for the trigger, Blaine, ya old bastard! (Mind you, Blaine and I are probably about the same age, so I am just kidding here!)
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

regarding the ioob. i think they originated in los angeles, california. think my former boyfriend was a club member.

Comment

Working...
                    X