(c)rap music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (c)rap music

(Starting this thread as a carryover from a thread drift in the Hawaii Print Media section.)

The discussion about rap music reminds me of a story about Lionel Richie. (Younger readers of HT might know him better as Nicole's father. ) He had taken six or seven years off but was ready to get back into the music biz, and was attending a party with a lot of rap stars. Lionel said he was thinking about doing a rap album, and one of the rap stars said "Why would you do that? We only rap because we can't sing!"

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: (c)rap music

Speaking of Nicole, her Simple Life 'pal' Paris tries a little 'hip/hop-reggae':

Stars are Blind

[The link takes you to a fake Paris Hilton MySpace page that has the song uploaded, so you don't have to download it]

I don't know what to make of it...it's not the trainwreck I thought it was going to be.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Yo.
      I don't like most rap
      but if da stuff dope,
      I can kick it widdit!
      laahk dees.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBXal1GAA4A

Gnome Sane!?

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
        Paris tries a little 'hip/hop-reggae' (...) I don't know what to make of it...it's not the trainwreck I thought it was going to be.
        Bland. Boring. Not a trainwreck, but then any tone-deaf idiot with a couple of hundred bucks of software can make a decent recording. The true test is always how they do in a live performance.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          Gnome Sane!?
          As scary as it is to admit, yes, I do know what you're saying.

Comment

Rap still beats Jawaiian Music anyday.
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

There is a way to enjoy different genres of music in a more familiar setting.

http://partyben.com/downloads/

D/L "Led Snooppellin" if you dare.

BTW, "Boulevard of Broken Songs" is the "freebird" of the mashup world.

Sacriledge to some, maybe. For me, I get to enjoy some new music. Plus they kinda skirt the rules of corporate music if you are into that sort of thing.

Pandoras Box....................let me know if you want more links or just google the term "mashup"

You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF7b1hdFiDM

This is the original!!! the one and all video song of all time that really kicked off HIP HOP! IMHO!

Comment

I prefer PRE-NWA hip hop and rap...RUN DMC, LL COOL J, BEASTIE BOYS, WHODINI, Jeckyll and Hyde...mostly NY stuff from the 80's.

The stuff now, I just can't listen to.
                  Would someone PLEASE explain the popularity of the Black Eyed Peas.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                    Rap still beats Jawaiian Music anyday.
                    I don't know about this one bear! I think it's a personal opinion.

I used to like RAP... I can't stand it now... However, I do like "jawaiian" music.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                      The stuff now, I just can't listen to.
                      Would someone PLEASE explain the popularity of the Black Eyed Peas.
                      Too funny... just last night... I saw a group of guys about 10 - 12 running around in Waikiki with a "P" on their shirt and a Very Blackened out eye...

They were a "Group of Black Eyed Peas"

Comment

Most of the appeal of the Black Eyed Peas is groove. They're quite creative when it comes to groove, with an admirable knack for putting stuff together that makes you want to move. I'm Too Cool to Dance, and Black Eyed Peas make even me want to get up and shake my whatever.

Too much music made between the late nineties and a couple of years ago was JUST groove (see several popular songs by Destiny's Child and Missy Eliott) with no real melody and not much in the way of lyrics. Black Eyed Peas combine that knack for original grooves with some very stylish rhyming and a pretty interesting combination of personalities. Part of that interesting combination is sex, I'll admit, but that's always been part of rock and roll. They've made several mis-steps ("My Humps," for one) but check out "Don't Phunk with My Heart" and you'll get what I'm talking about. Fergie's solo stuff is not as good because it's pretty much ALL personality, and it's just hers, as opposed to that neato mixture her group usually puts together.

It would be silly to expect everyone to like every musical artist, but does that at least help explain what the appeal is? I like Black Eyed Peas.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

ditto that
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                            Too funny... just last night... I saw a group of guys about 10 - 12 running around in Waikiki with a "P" on their shirt and a Very Blackened out eye...

They were a "Group of Black Eyed Peas"
                            now that _is_ dope
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Meh...those on the outside of the hip hop culture don't understand it. you'd have to live it to know what it is.
                              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X