Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunny Garcia in deep kimchee

An excerpt from a breaking news item at this link notes the following:

"Former top-ranked Hawaiian surf champ Sunny Garcia pleaded guilty in federal court today to evading taxes on more than $417,000 in prize winnings.
    "Garcia, whose real name is Vincent Sennen, admitted in court that he failed to pay income taxes on $161,450 in prize winnings from riding waves in Fiji, Australia, South Africa, France, Spain, Portugal, and Brazil. Garcia also told U.S. Magistrate Judge William McCurine, Jr., that he intentionally failed to report another $255,635 from 1996 to 1999, and in 2001.
    "He faces a maximum three-year prison sentence and fines of up to $100,000 when he is sentenced on Aug. 28
    ."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Sunny Garcia in deep kimchee

Wow! As they say in Surfing Terms... "Wipe Out!"
    ...or sumting lil' dat!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Good one, Auntie!
      And this is the same Sunny Garcia who embarassed the state of Hawai`i by being such an arrogant bully on that reality TV show a year or so ago. (I've forgotten the name of the show.)

Comment

Now he can star in "OZ."
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Sheesh. If you're one of the few lucky souls on earth able to earn a living doing something fun like surfing, the least you can do is pay your taxes.

I can understand picking up winnings in odd countries and not knowing about the right rules, regulations, and forms to file in triplicate... but from what I've read about the case, the guy knew exactly what he was doing, and that it was going to run him afoul of the IRS eventually.

Death and taxes, Sunny.

Comment

Sunny=Richard Hatch from Survivor. Both deserve what they get . I don't feel sorry for him.
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
              And this is the same Sunny Garcia who embarassed the state of Hawai`i by being such an arrogant bully on that reality TV show a year or so ago. (I've forgotten the name of the show.)
              "In 2003, Garcia also appeared in "Boarding House: North Shore," displaying his tough-surfer image while sharing a house with six other professional surfers in the Warner Bros. reality TV show."

My memory has been restored, courtesy of the story here at the Star-Bulletin website.

Comment

If you make over $50,000/yr in a non-W2 occupation, you are stupid if you dont hire a money manager of some kind. It's such a small price to pay to save $100's every year on your taxes.

I know. I am speaking from experience. And now my mean-ass, biyatch of an accountant keeps me on the straight and narrow.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Auwe! Talk about bad judgement! Everyone thinks they can get away with it - until they are caught.

Comment

I'm amazed more people aren't getting busted for not doing there taxes or falsely reporting incomes.

I've used Turbotax and HRBlocks online forms... for the small fee... they seem to be real worthwhile.

Sunny...Hope you get through this... otherwise, karma can come back in weird ways...

Hope someone in prison doesn't punk you out the way you punked out the guy on the TV show!

or do I?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      [...]Sunny...Hope you get through this... otherwise, karma can come back in weird ways...[...]
                      It appears it already has.

Comment

At least he's owning up to his f*** up. Hope he doesn't have to go to jail on the mainland because if any of those jailbirds saw how he was acting on that show....

Comment

Owning up to it only prevents adding more insult to an already injurious act. IMNSHO <g>, he created his karma with the initial act of evading taxes. Now it comes back to haunt him in the form of...BUSTED!

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                            At least he's owning up to his f*** up. Hope he doesn't have to go to jail on the mainland because if any of those jailbirds saw how he was acting on that show....

Like I said, welcome to OZ.
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Tax Evasion!

Sunny Garcia Pleaded Guilty in San Diego to Failing to Pay Income Taxes

Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 6 June, 2006 : - - San Diego - Former top-ranked Hawaiian surf champ Sunny Garcia pleaded guilty in federal court Monday to evading taxes on more than $417,000 in prize winnings.

Garcia, whose real name is Vincent Sennen, admitted in court that he failed to pay income taxes on $161,450 in prize winnings from riding waves in Fiji, Australia, South Africa, France, Spain, Portugal, and Brazil. Garcia also told U.S. Magistrate Judge William McCurine, Jr., that he intentionally failed to report another $255,635 from 1996 to 1999, and in 2001.

He faces a maximum three-year prison sentence and fines of up to $100,000 when he is sentenced on Aug. 28.

Garcia is a six-time winner of surfing's Triple Crown championship. He pulled in more than $1 million in prize money during his time on the professional tour. Fellow surfer Poncho Sullivan described him as "probably the best Hawaii surfer ever" when he left the tour last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X