Cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13141254/?GT1=8211 I was reading this article on the prevalence of cutting (as in cutting themselves) in Ivy League College students. I know a couple of people who cut themselves, especially when they're stressed out. I don't understand why they do it. One of my friends vehemently objects to it being described as "self-harm" and insists it's more of a form of self-expression.

I wonder if cutting is as popular with all young folk and the studies are just looking at college students or if there really is a higher rate of self-mutilation among college students than non-college peers of the same age group? I wonder if it's more prevalent in the US now than it was before? Somehow I don't imagine cutting as a notable issue in, say, the 1950s or earlier in the US. or is it just getting more recognition?

Re: Cutting

IIRC, a couple of the magazine type tv shows (Dateline, 20/20) covered this subject a few years ago. I think it involved high school kids. While not a new phenomenon, I don't think I heard of it pre-1990s altho' I'd guess it probably existed.

Comment

speaking with a phychiatrist the other day it turns out that Cutting is a symtom of Bi-Polar disease. its a way to relive stress....the person doesnt feel pain they get a sense of euphoria or release.
      Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Well, cutting can be many things. A symptom of something else, a form of "self expression," an expression of self loathing, a release, a cry for attention, or just the next cool or goth thing to do. In many cases, I'm sure it's serious... but these days, with kids, you never know. Search a bit for message boards and other communities "for cutters," and you'll find all sorts of stuff.

Interesting that they were focusing on cutters in college. The practice was generally attributed to adolescents and mostly females. I guess they don't all grow out of it.

Comment

It's scary what's out there on the net regarding cutting (yes, I know you warned me about reckless googling <b>pzarquon</b> *g*)

I didn't realize it was a symptom of being bi-polar. It's just that I'm one of those people who would find it really hard to cut my own skin and it struck me odd that cutting seems to be an increasing trend or at least a more noticed thing than it was in the past.

Comment

Working...
          X