Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu ranks 16th in most educated cities in US

Source

Seattle tops the list of America's most educated cities, with more than half its population 25 years and older holding at least a bachelor's degree.

Data collected by the Census Bureau's American Community Survey shows that 51.3 percent of 25-and-over Seattleites have a bachelor's degree or higher, closely followed by San Francisco (51.0 percent), Raleigh, North Carolina (49.7 percent), Washington, D.C. (47.7 percent), and Austin, Texas (45.1 percent).

The national college graduation rate is 25.9 percent.
    Honolulu's population with a college degree or higher is 34.4%.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Honolulu ranks 16th in most educated cities in US

Originally posted by doc1456
    Seattle tops the list of America's most educated cities...Data collected by the Census Bureau's American Community Survey shows that 51.3 percent of 25-and-over Seattleites have a bachelor's degree or higher...Honolulu's population with a college degree or higher is 34.4%.
    And THAT's why we in Seattle are always telling you in Hawai`i what to do and how to live!

(That's a joke, friends; Palolo Joe & Glen Miyashiro - I hope you're smiling along with me.)

Comment

...of course, perhaps it could be attributed to the large number of educated folks who have moved here from the Islands?

Comment

Seems ironic that Honolulu scores so high, yet our schoolchildren score so low on national testing.

I've heard it said that Hawaii children were very educated 100 years ago. I wonder what happened? Nowadays it seems that if you excel in academics you are likely to be villified by your ignorant peers. Times have changed.

Why aren't the idiots being villified? Perhaps it is the emasculation of our education system by the ACLU and liberal politics in general. The last 35 years have been one backward step after another. From no more paddling, to "leveling the playing field", to accepting mediocrity, to spending extra money on the stupid and not the smartest.

It makes the most sense to spend the most money on the most capable, when talking about education. You could call it insuring the future.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
          I've heard it said that Hawaii children were very educated 100 years ago. I wonder what happened?...It makes the most sense to spend the most money on the most capable, when talking about education. You could call it insuring the future.
          Investing in salaries, to provide teachers with a living wage that reflects a sense of respect for what they do and the influence they have, would be a good place to start - but so long overdue that we're going to feel the effects of low teaching salaries for a couple of generations now.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
            Seems ironic that Honolulu scores so high, yet our schoolchildren score so low on national testing.
            Its the college edumacation.

Most kids go to public schools, then get jobs working at Mcdonalds or in the constructin industry, but others go on to higher education, then move to the mainland to get their start and come back to make a business.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
            X