Frear Hall no more... new 600 room dorm building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frear Hall no more... new 600 room dorm building

When I was living in the dorms... I used to always pass by Frear Hall on my way to class....I was in the Manoa dorms from 1996 - 1998!

I heard a rumour and I want to know if anyone else has heard of this....

Wasn't Frear Hall considered Haunted or was this just one of those "freshman myths" that has stuck with me?

Re: Frear Hall no more... new 600 room dorm building

I dormed between '79 and '84... yeah yeah 5 year plan but when dorming you always kiss the first year away I lived in Johnson Hall for 3 years when it was still all guys. Then we got into the on campus apartments...Wainani. Back then Frear Hall was known as Frigid Frear . Dunno about any haunted stories tho

Comment

I lived in the dorms in the late 90s and also used to pass by Frear to get home.

Frear was already closed by the time I got to UH, but my older sister lived there in the 80s. She and her roommate both had frightening experiences with Mrs. Frear, and still refuses to talk about it to this day.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Was at Hale Aloha between 1979 to 1981. Heard no mention of Frear Hall being haunted.

UH Hilo's Hale Kauanoe on the other hand was rumored to be haunted or old timers would tell newcomers that one can hear strange sounds at night, but that was due to the fact that place lacked any sound damping ceilings.

Comment

I was a resident of Frear Hall back in 1984. My room was on the bottom floor near the highway...never heard of Frear Hall being haunted but it was a great place to live.....my aloha to Steph Hiu, Donna Ouderkirk, Claudia Ventura if you are out there and get to read this....we had some crazy times in Frear....so sad to see it go!

Comment

Yeah, it's about to be gone in a matter of time. A new dorm is coming too. Damn, I wish I was still in school to experience the new things at UH.

http://www.hawaii.edu/cgi-bin/uhnews?20060512134557
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Re: Frear Hall no more? A very sad end of an era ...

I never knew this site existed! I found it completely by accident when I was showing someone how to "google" themselves (by using my own name). How cool it was to both discover this site and see my name in association with a posted reply on a subject near and dear to my heart, FREAR HALL. My memories of FREAR include annual visits from Mary Dillingham Frear herself ... yes, indeed the stories, while legendary, are true ... at least, to those who encountered our illustrious benfactor, Mary Frear. As both an RA and eventually Hall Director, I encountered dorm residents who cut their 'occupancy' short after realizing the elderly cleaning lady they attempted conversation with was indeed Ms. Frear herself coming back for her semi-annual visit (just to check on things, mind you).

Those of us who spent our entire college careers at FREAR also endured the less than complimentary (and SOMEWHAT INACCURATE, I might add) nickname "Frigid Frear".

Haunted, frigid or otherwise, UH will lose a cool part of its history once FREAR HALL is replaced.

Comment

Donna O? Is that you in HawaiiThreads land? This is T.J....please reply if this is you....would be so nice to hear from you.....aloha!

Comment

Those undergrad girls from Frear joined us "Gateway Good Ole Guys" for dinner in our cafeteria facilities. More than a few of them did NOT fit the description of "Frigid Frear!" Midnight moonlight walks to Kanewai Field to the wooden bridge spanning Manoa Stream. Oh, the memories!

Comment

Welcome to HT Donna! Must be kinda weird to see your name in Google under this story! You mentioned:
                    Haunted, frigid or otherwise, UH will lose a cool part of its history once FREAR HALL is replaced.
                    Do you think Ms. Frear is still lurking on the property and will inhabit the new dorm once it's built?

Comment

Gateway... that's where all the old grumps lived... the one's who wanted to study. A roomie couldn't get back into J-hall (maybe he was tryna get away from me) so he got into Gateway. His roomie didn't even talk to him. Not all were like that but most seemed to be.

Gosh I just had a bad flashback of the Gateway cafeteria food! Remember Elron the guy who would stamp our meal cards?

Originally posted by oceanpacific
                      Those undergrad girls from Frear joined us "Gateway Good Ole Guys" for dinner in our cafeteria facilities. More than a few of them did NOT fit the description of "Frigid Frear!" Midnight moonlight walks to Kanewai Field to the wooden bridge spanning Manoa Stream. Oh, the memories!

Comment

HEeeyy. Don’t bash Gateway! We still had fun. My Gateway roomie was such a party animal, I had to move out. The Gateway Coffee House was kewl while it lasted. Who do you think pushed (successfully) to put computers in ALL the lobbies of each dorm? Gateway was the site of the last IHRA meeting. That’s Inter-Hall Residence Association for the uninitiated. It comprises ALL of the RHCs. Every one. See if the students these days could organize something like that. Good luck.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                        X