Second Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Life

Has anybody tried out Second Life the online community game? I don't get it I must be getting old. Looks fun if I could understand it.
    Last edited by alohabear; June 7, 2006, 11:32 AM.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Second Life

You know what? I've been reading a lot about Second Life. I mean, I've been aware of it for a few years now (probably since it launched -- 2003?), and have always been curious about it from a socio-technology standpoint and its prospects for both commercial and popular success.

It's a virtual world that's so expansive and teeming with players that people in the "real world" earn a real full-time income for what they do in the "virtual world." Established businesses are setting up shop in Second Life. Political and social meetings are being convened in Second Life. Now live concerts are being held in Second Life. And, of course, there's all the handwringing about ethics, etiquette, social norms within the virtual space, and the game's impact on people in "meatspace."

It boggles my mind, because all the wonderful and frightening things that William Gibson and other "cyberpunk" authors of the '80s dreamed about is coming true.

Anyway, I kind of tried to keep my distance, with a kind of 'cultural anthropology' stance, simply because I knew just how addictive something like Second Life would be for a guy like me -- interested in exploring the ways people connect in virtual communities.

But just tonight, I met up with some podcasting friends, and a couple of them were real Second Life veterans. And their enthusiasm for it, on both a playful and practical level, was contagious. I'm almost curious enough to try it.

So yeah, I, too, would love to know if there are any Second Life users here. It's a whole world that I'm late in entering, so if anyone's got any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Oh don't even get me started on this.

Someone on my LiveJournal friends list is completely obsessed with Second Life and making paperdolls that she spits out at least 10 Second Life related posts within the span of 5 minutes. That alone frightens me.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

another multi level thang?

nooo thanx.

Comment

Interesting.

I like know more.

I may want to have a Second Life!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            Interesting.

I like know more.

I may want to have a Second Life!

Auntie Lynn
            Your not allowed... we might lose you from here!

You alread mydicted!

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
              Your not allowed... we might lose you from here!

You alread mydicted!
              mydic-ted Hala! You not suppose to use vulgar language on da Forum!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Well, getting sucked in is a risk. Everquest, the game, was generally known as "Evercrack." People can get completely obsessed with an alternate version of reality where they can be someone else. Sociologists are all over this stuff, but of course it didn't start with the Internet. Some ham radio folks probably fell into the rabbit hole, too, back in the day. And like I said, I'd probably be on the list of 'more susceptible,' given my own inclinations toward cyberspace interaction.

But the fact that Second Life isn't so much a game (i.e. with an objective) and that other members are creating most of the content (designing the world, and selling creations like clothes or building design), and that folks are coming up with practical uses for the virtual space (holding meetings, concerts, promoting products to people who are most likely immune to traditional marketing channels)? It's interesting. And scary, but mostly interesting, now.

Basically, last night, people I knew were talking about meeting up and checking out a cool store together and hanging out... in Second Life. Because of course in real life, one's usually in Hawaii and one's in L.A. And the fact that they could just cruise a neighborhood and chat -- or that I, or someone in Bangladesh, could join them -- was interesting. They were talking about a day when long-disconnected friends could convene at a party in Second Life and, say, watch a football game together. It's only a matter of time before the NFL finds a way to make money in Second Life, you know?

But, it's a big world, and teeming with people, and a bit intimidating in that respect. So I was wondering if anyone here already played Second Life, and could give advice as to where to go or whom to meet. There's gotta be a neighborhood populated largely by Hawaii expats, for example!

(I know about THERE, a similar virtual world, which has a lot of fans at AlohaWorld. But it seems like MySpace among social networks, Second Life has basically become the de facto place to be.)
                Originally posted by 1stwahine
                Interesting. I like know more. I may want to have a Second Life!
                The Second Life website is here. There's an application you download and install (PC or Mac -- and yes, the Mac version is Universal). A Wikipedia article on it can be found here. "Basic membership" is free, to just wander around, but the real draw are the things you can do once you're a paying subscriber.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  another multi level thang?

nooo thanx.
                  Oh man. So you're saying there'll be folks there pitching AMWAY to me in Second Life?

"Multi-Level" Nooo thanx for me too.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Um. Second Life isn't a MLM, and while obviously there's commerce within (and probably some "psst... buddy... ever hear of waterless car wash?"), it's no more pervasive and managed like any other online community where people interact. We have spammers wander through HT on occasion, but that's doesn't mean you should write everyone else here off.

Obviously I'm more interested with the personal, interactive elements than checking out the avatar leather jacket store or attending a virtual concert and buying the CD, but that stuff is in there... like it is out here. The same virtual space is being used to both emulate the real world, and to create totally new things as well.

Obviously if this sort of stuff isn't your bag, that's fine. I'm trying to connect with those who are into Second Life, to tell me more of what they like about it.

Comment

heheheheh. I going take a Virtual Trip today.

Wait. I going buy my Lunch first and make sure I'm comphy.

First I gotta check wat's happening on HT.

K-den. Here I go checking the threads...

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                        Everquest, the game, was generally known as "Evercrack."
                        Now it's warcraft thats got people and the legacy lives on with warcrack, though to me that sounds more like a wardriving term for cracking wep keys, anyways, according to this article 40% of all warcraft players are addicted.

As for second life the only time that I was even slightly interested in it was when the somethingawful( off the wall twisted humor site) were wreaking havoc making phallic shaped building and harassing other members in a variety of somewhat comedic ways.
                        808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                        kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                        http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

tohellwidat.

My friend's 16 yr marriage to her high school sweetheart couldn't hold up to his new-found flame from toooontoooown. There are many ways that my internet time can get sucked into the vortex of interesting diddlidabs, but gaming will never be my thing.

pax

Comment

I tried to download. My computa CRASHED!!!!

Me tinks my computa no can handle or my computa is telling me to stay away. I got enough to keep me busy.

So much for a Second Life.

I was looking forward to being a MAN!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

My friend's 16 yr marriage to her high school sweetheart couldn't hold up to his new-found flame from toooontoooown.
                              Well, lots of others have found "wuv, twoo wuv" via virtual spaces as well. As with MySpace, it ain't the technology, it's the wonderful or boneheaded things people do with it.

Like I said, I fully respect folks who want nothing to do with these online communities. I'm skeptical myself. I'd like to hear more from people who do find something of value there, though. There's a quarter of a million people milling around in Second Life. I can't help but be curious.

Comment

Working...
                              X