The Godfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Godfather

Kilinahe and I just finished watching (over several days, mind you) The Godfather and The Godfather: Part II. I'd seen the first film before, but it's been so long much of it was a joyous surprise again. I'd never seen the sequel, and I can see why many find it actually superior to the first film (I'm not sure if I agree, but it's definitely a good sequel/prequel!).

At this point, I guess we have to see The Godfather: Part III, although by most accounts it's the weakest in the trilogy.

Overall, so far, though, these have been marvelous films to watch. So many familiar faces, such great characters, wonderful cinematography, and of course a compelling story. Definitely deserve their acclaim and position on many "best movies" lists.

Did you like The Godfather movies? What were your favorite characters, scenes, twists? Did you read the book? (I admit I haven't.) If so, what do you think the film captured best, and what do you think it missed?

As someone who knows only the films, I got the distinct sense it was based on a book, based on the arc of the story and how the films (by neccessity) had to flash forward through plot points that would otherwise be significant. (Like Michael's marriage to Kay, and the arrival of their kids, in The Godfather.) Yet, I felt Coppola made good choices in which scenes to include. We "miss" some ostensibly big events, but get treated to lots of "little" scenes, longer and pensive scenes, that ultimately affect you more.

By the way, in The Godfather: Part II, it was fairly obvious what was about to happen, and I quipped, "Well, it's curtains for Fredo..."

Kilinahe said, "That is so going to be the name of my rock band."

Re: The Godfather

When I was home for Christmas break from UH-Hilo one December, some friends and I saw the first two films, then went to Aunti Pasto's for dinner, then came home and watched the third. That was a good day.

There are a million things to recommend them all, but it's the acting that does it for me. There isn't a weak performance in the lot. I especially love Brando, who reminds you that although he is clearly a nut-case, the guy changed modern drama for the better. Perhaps twice. I also love Diane Keaton and Talia Shire. Watch them act in scenes where they are not the focus of attention, and you will see some very good acting.

And that third film, while they say it is the weakest, is still a darned good movie. Everyone says Sofia Coppola was a lousy actress, but I thought she was quite good. Not to mention hot, hot, hot.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The Godfather series in general I think is a must for any DVD collector!

Comment

Did you ever see The Godfather Trilogy: 1901-1980 ? It was reedited in chronological order by the director, with added scenes cut from the original movies. We saw the rise of Don Vito Corleone first(as in GF2). It made the story interesting. I saw it only on VHS . Maybe a DVD would bring new fans to the movie.
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
          Did you ever see The Godfather Trilogy: 1901-1980 ? It was reedited in chronological order by the director, with added scenes cut from the original movies. We saw the rise of Don Vito Corleone first(as in GF2). It made the story interesting. I saw it only on VHS . Maybe a DVD would bring new fans to the movie.
          yes, that is really good, but it is kind of a jolt when they jump from Robert Deniro and family on the train in Sicily to Connie's wedding on Long Island. I was able to find an edited version that is similar to this tv movie from the Coppola wine website. I bought it for a friend several years ago, and inherited it back when he died.

Every Christmas, we watch the Godfather movies, and I love them all for different reasons. The third is the weakest, but it is still a good film, better than it should be, really. I think Sofia's acting was extremely stilted, and wish that they could have tweaked the script a bit to expand the Bridget Fonda role. She had way better chemistry with Andy Garcia. Ooooo baby!

Also, in the second one, I wish they would have coughed up the money to bring back the guy who played Clemenza, and the same goes for Robert Duval in the third one.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Kilinahe and I just finished watching (over several days, mind you) The Godfather and The Godfather: Part II. I'd seen the first film before, but it's been so long much of it was a joyous surprise again. I'd never seen the sequel, and I can see why many find it actually superior to the first film (I'm not sure if I agree, but it's definitely a good sequel/prequel!).

At this point, I guess we have to see The Godfather: Part III, although by most accounts it's the weakest in the trilogy.

Overall, so far, though, these have been marvelous films to watch. So many familiar faces, such great characters, wonderful cinematography, and of course a compelling story. Definitely deserve their acclaim and position on many "best movies" lists.

Did you like The Godfather movies? What were your favorite characters, scenes, twists? Did you read the book? (I admit I haven't.) If so, what do you think the film captured best, and what do you think it missed?

As someone who knows only the films, I got the distinct sense it was based on a book, based on the arc of the story and how the films (by neccessity) had to flash forward through plot points that would otherwise be significant. (Like Michael's marriage to Kay, and the arrival of their kids, in The Godfather.) Yet, I felt Coppola made good choices in which scenes to include. We "miss" some ostensibly big events, but get treated to lots of "little" scenes, longer and pensive scenes, that ultimately affect you more.

By the way, in The Godfather: Part II, it was fairly obvious what was about to happen, and I quipped, "Well, it's curtains for Fredo..."

Kilinahe said, "That is so going to be the name of my rock band."

This is my favorite trilogy. Ever.

What *is* it about mafia movies? Besides the great acting, direction, etc, there is something about the genre that can grip my attention like no other. Elements of family, loyalty, honor, shrewd cunning and murdah leaves an imprint that lingers long after the credits roll.

And my favorite character arc throughout the series is Talia Shire. Young, weak, naive and beaten in the first, whiskey-swilling gambling whore in the second, and then matriarch/murderess in the third (which I *loved* that scene when she kills off her own godfather).

Second is Michael. Nobody's gotta gaze like that man. How he looks when he has decided that his victim shall die is, without par, the very definition of a "menacing stare". From the first movie, I recall the resturant scene before he shoots the guy (his first hit) and in the second, ahhh....would anyone want that kiss on New Year's Eve like the one he gave his brother?

pax

Comment

i love the godfather movies.i think that all of the old "gangsters" from the old days are the best because they hvae so much more to say, the message that some of them were trying to get acrossed was great.CAPONE, GOTTI, all of the great legends....
              Either your mentally tough or, mentally weak, which one are you? i know what i am..........

Comment

Originally posted by champ18
                i think that all of the old "gangsters" from the old days are the best because they hvae so much more to say, the message that some of them were trying to get acrossed was great.
                Um. Wasn't the "message" they were trying to get across, "We do what we want. Get out of our way or die?"
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Glad to hear that The Godfather: Part III is worth our time. Sure, it's the weakest film, but the third entry in any trilogy usually is (and the second often the best).

Also, alohabear, thanks for mentioning that re-edited edition. Might be a good digest, after we've fully appreciated the three films as released.

Ah, yes, the most unforgettable New Year's kiss in film. "I know it was you Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!"

Among Kilinahe's favorite lines from the first film: "Leave the gun. Take the cannolis."

Comment

All right. Kilinahe and I finished The Godfather: Part III last night. At best, it was okay. And I think I'm being charitable.

Because so much disdain was heaped upon Sofia Coppola, and because this movie was so widely derided, I honestly tried to give it an extra, extra, extra chance. Folks almost always resent sequels, and most rarely live up to the original, but they don't have to suck.

But first, I think Scrivener's evaluation of Sofia Coppola's looks (which do absolutely nothing for me, but everything's relative) is the only explanation for his calling her performance "quite good." Actually, everything I heard made me think the problem was that she overracted, or missed her mark. Instead, what she did simply fell short of most definitions of acting. She had the energy of a damp dishcloth, and barely seemed to be aware she was in the same room as the other actors. When her big moment came on the opera house steps, despite the clear dramatic apex, Kilinahe stifled a snicker. "Actually," I said, "Her acting this whole movie only hits its mark with that last line, when she's supposed to be dazed and near death."

Secondly, I was really intrigued by what Pu'ai Mana'o said about Connie. I thought her character in Part II was a bit at odds with her character in Part I, so the possibility that there was an evolution taking place helped. Sadly, now having seen all three, I don't see much of a continuum. It seems they just swapped out her character ROM for whatever best suited what they wanted to accomplish in each movie. Hapless victim, boozing outcast, and finally on-board, amped-up, bloodthirsty mafia player... all interesting characters, and good performances, but only separately, at least IMHO.

But finally, and primarily, the story in Part III was nearly incoherent, and some elements of the storytelling just annoyed me. Kilinahe said, "It's very 80s, with all its hostile takeovers and conspiracies..." Shareholder meetings, international trade... I mean, yes, one of the points that is being drilled into our heads in this movie is, "Legitimate business is just as bad as the mafia." But it's also boring. The first half of this overlong film seemed to drag to me.

On top of that, Vincent's character seems to catapult inexplicably from insignificant black sheep to Michael Corleone's most trusted advisor. He's exactly the sort of trouble Michael's trying to get away from, and Michael takes him under his wing... but basically it's Vincent that starts driving things, not the other way around. Okay, so I see the parallels with Sonny and even with Michael, but again, it was just so fast and unremarked upon... as if in all the intervening years before Vincent shows up, Michael's inner circle was pretty much useless. Also unexplained is Connie's immediate fondness and defense for him. Okay, so now she's a badass, and thus she likes him, but how did she get there?

Finally, the storytelling and dialogue was painfully, transparently unsubtle. Every epiphany is explicitly spelled out. The evil of "legitimate" business ("Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."). Michael's remorse over Fredo (via, of all things, a confession). The price Michael will pay for not turning back ("I swear on the lives of my children..."). Flasbacks spliced in as if dicated by a Filmmaking 101 text. For me, the "Oh, now come on!" moment was when Michael and Kay take a drive into town, discuss Mary's dalliance with her cousin, and then at that very moment, happen to stumble across a marionette show in which the characters are an angry father and a daughter in love with her cousin.

And the last, sad, silent scene? Just weird. And it would've been much better were it simply a minute longer, to give folks a chance to process what immediately preceded it, apparently set years before.

Did anyone here really like the third film? Please tell me what I'm missing. IMHO, Part III wasn't awful. Maybe a must-see simply because it's part of a set. But I could've lived without it.

Comment

Working...
                    X