No announcement yet.

These concerts ever happen in Hawaii??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These concerts ever happen in Hawaii??

Just curious if these bands/performers have ever played here before:

KISS

Cheap Trick

Heart

Boy George and/or Culture Club

ANY of the Beatles, I know George had a home in Maui but did he ever do a show here? I'd love to see McCartney do a concert at Aloha Stadium, I dont understand why this hasnt happened yet. But has he ever played the Blaisdell before?

Little River Band

Cliff Richard

Olivia Newton John

Alice Cooper

Bee Gee's

Barbara Streisand

Jackson Five (I just threw that one in here and wanted to know if anyone remembers a show here or not?)

Thanks!

KalihiBoy

Re: These concerts ever happen in Hawaii??

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
    Just curious if these bands/performers have ever played here before:

KISS
    Cheap Trick

ANY of the Beatles, I know George had a home in Maui but did he ever do a show here? I'd love to see McCartney do a concert at Aloha Stadium, I dont understand why this hasnt happened yet. But has he ever played the Blaisdell before?

Jackson Five (I just threw that one in here and wanted to know if anyone remembers a show here or not?)
    KISS played at Blaisdell in 1976. I did not go but one of my friends at the time gave me a picture of it. He was able to bring in his 35mm SLR. Gene Simmons blowing fire or something.

Another friend of mine is a big Cheap Trick fan and he can verify that they came here at least once, maybe twice.

I remember seeing a photo of John Lennon and maybe George Harrison taken at Honolulu Airport when they were passing through to go to either Japan or the Philippines in 1966, possibly on their last concert tour as a group.

Anyone buy Tom Moffatt's book Showman of the Pacific recently published about Hawaii concerts and radio? I haven't seen it, but I know its been out for about 6 weeks now. Cost about $34 at most major bookstores, though I may be tempted to buy it at Amazon for their advertised $22 price. I am sure that has a lot of concert photos and information in it.

Lastly I have an old black and white promo photo of the Jackson 5 taken in the early 1970s that was used to promote a concert in Hawaii. If I can find it, I'll try to get it and the Kiss one scanned and maybe post it here.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Heart played at the Stadium with Blue Oyster Cult and someone else...it may have been an early rap group, like Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five or someone like that. Around 1982.
      Last edited by scrivener; June 11, 2006, 09:16 PM. Reason: "I'm burnin' I'm burnin' I'm burnin' for you..."
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Cheap Trick played here one Halloween. 1998? It was at the After Dark or was it World Cafe by then.
        just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Didn't the Jackson 5 play here on their Victory tour in 1983 or 1984?
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            Didn't the Jackson 5 play here on their Victory tour in 1983 or 1984?
            I remember them playing sometime between 1973-74 my Senior year.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Can't say for the Beatles, but I remember a certain day back in 1985 vividly. This kid was on an international tour promoting his first album. That night, at the Waikiki Shell, he sang all those songs so well that it was obvious his album required very little in the way of production tricks.

For his encore, all he said was,

"my dad sang this song with a couple of his mates, and here's one to help me out with it now",

...and that was how Julian Lennon introduced George Harrison to jam "Day Tripper" with him.

The baby boomer half of the audience *freaked* and rushed the stage.

Btw, Julian is a leeeeetle ittybitty guy. And to hear "Valotte" today makes me wince with wonder at how on earth I could have possibly dug that song.

pax

Comment

From the wedding thread...

Sounds like KISS might just be playing now....

Unconfirmed though... only reading into the Wedding on Big Island thread.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies, how about these bands/artists, have they ever played here before:

Foreigner

Styx

Fleetwood Mac

Bruce Springsteen

My wife saw Bon Jovi play circa 1987 or so, has he ever came back since then?

KalihiBoy

Comment

Foreigner played Aloha Stadium with two other bands, neither of which I can remember. I was in seventh or eighth grade, so I didn't go. I heard that Foreigner was very, very late, and that they actually flew to the stadium in a helicopter. This was on the 4 tour.

Styx played the Diamond Head Crater Festival at least once and perhaps twice. There's a thread here about that, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Bruce has never played here.

edit:
                    I just looked it up. Foreigner played on August 1, 1982 at the stadium with Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, the Charlie Daniels Band, and the Surf Punks.

And that Heart concert I mentioned earlier was with BOC and Gamma (whoever THAT is) on August 30, 1981.

This was a popular weekend for concerts, apparently. On August 31, 1980, Black Sabbath played the stadium with BOC and Molly Hatchet.

Oh, and you didn't ask about BOC, but they played two shows in 1979 at the stadium: May 12 and May 13.
                    Last edited by scrivener; June 19, 2006, 01:54 AM. Reason: "standing in the rain, with his head hung low..."
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
                      Thanks for all of the replies, how about these bands/artists, have they ever played here before:

Fleetwood Mac

KalihiBoy
                      I remember seeing Fleetwood Mac at the Blaisdell in either 77 or 78 for their Rumors tour.

Comment

Your kidding me Blue Oyster Club was that popular to have solo concerts at Aloha Stadium, I saw them play in Phoenix during the late 80's at a free concert sponsored by one of the local radio stations. Maybe by then their popularity had waned a bit. I think Black Sabbath was post-Ozzy by 1980, was Ronnie James Dio lead singer then?

I would love to see Ozzy play here, he filmed his silly reality tv show here a couple years ago but would have been nice if they had a concert here too.

I'd love to see Foreigner, they are touring again often with Styx, however w/o Dennis DeYoung I'm not so sure about seeing them. Dennis does solo concerts with various symphonies nationwide and I emailed him to see if he would be interested in doing a show with the Honolulu Symphony but I didnt get a response, but I assume somebody read it.

Speaking of Molly Hatchet they are playing at the upcoming BayFest, another old school band, 38 Special will be playing as well, I always liked them.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Ozzy last played here in either the winter of 1996 or the spring of 1997. Dio's first album with Sabbath was Heaven and Hell, which was in 1980 (Ozzy was booted from Sabbath in '79).

Styx was my favorite band all through high school and most of college. Based on recent interviews, it doesn't seem like there will be a real Styx reunion anytime soon. Without John Panozzo on drums, though, it would be tough for any long-time Styx fan to feel totally comfortable, even with DeYoung back in the lineup.

If I'm not mistaken, the last time .38 Special was here was in the spring of 1984, at the Arena with Golden Earring. I remember this show well because I was in ninth grade and working my first paying job. I had never been to a rock concert and thought my folks might let me go to this one, since I could pay for it with my own money. Unfortunately, it was on a school night, and in our house you did not mess around on school nights. I'm looking forward to Hatchet and .38 Special this summer!
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                            Your kidding me Blue Oyster Club was that popular to have solo concerts at Aloha Stadium, I saw them play in Phoenix during the late 80's at a free concert sponsored by one of the local radio stations. Maybe by then their popularity had waned a bit. I think Black Sabbath was post-Ozzy by 1980, was Ronnie James Dio lead singer then?

I would love to see Ozzy play here, he filmed his silly reality tv show here a couple years ago but would have been nice if they had a concert here too.

I'd love to see Foreigner, they are touring again often with Styx, however w/o Dennis DeYoung I'm not so sure about seeing them. Dennis does solo concerts with various symphonies nationwide and I emailed him to see if he would be interested in doing a show with the Honolulu Symphony but I didnt get a response, but I assume somebody read it.

Speaking of Molly Hatchet they are playing at the upcoming BayFest, another old school band, 38 Special will be playing as well, I always liked them.

KalihiBoy
                            Blue Oyster Cult played with Black Sabbath and Molly Hatchet at the Aloha Stadium's Summer Blowout in 1980. That concert was nick named Black and Blue Concert. I again seen Blue Oyster Cult at the Blaisdell in 84' with Aldo nova opening up.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              Ozzy last played here in either the winter of 1996 or the spring of 1997. Dio's first album with Sabbath was Heaven and Hell, which was in 1980 (Ozzy was booted from Sabbath in '79).

Styx was my favorite band all through high school and most of college. Based on recent interviews, it doesn't seem like there will be a real Styx reunion anytime soon. Without John Panozzo on drums, though, it would be tough for any long-time Styx fan to feel totally comfortable, even with DeYoung back in the lineup.

If I'm not mistaken, the last time .38 Special was here was in the spring of 1984, at the Arena with Golden Earring. I remember this show well because I was in ninth grade and working my first paying job. I had never been to a rock concert and thought my folks might let me go to this one, since I could pay for it with my own money. Unfortunately, it was on a school night, and in our house you did not mess around on school nights. I'm looking forward to Hatchet and .38 Special this summer!
                              I seen Ozzy on June 28, 1982 with Brad Gillis on guitar. That was when Randy Rhoads died in a plane crash. I then saw Ozzy again in 84' with Jake E. Lee with the Bark at the Moon tour. You guys are making me dig up my old ticket stub collection to see the dates.

Comment

Working...
                              X