Star of the Sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star of the Sea

Anybody here wen go to dat school? (like my pidgin?) I graduated high school in 1986, and only went up to 7th grade there. I really remember 5th grade, Mr. Scafuri. Anyone know someone who went there, or knows that teacher?
    -Dru

Re: Star of the Sea

i went to sos for 9 years, k-8...mr. scafuri was my 5th grade teacher...i remember liking all of my teachers...and getting beat up by 2 high-school titas on a regular basis when i was in 2nd grade...i think i actually liked the attention...lots of fond memories of that school, even the morbid, life-sized crucifix hanging 20 feet over the altar, complete with blood trails...if there's a better way to instill catholic guilt in the psyche of an impressionable adolescent, i haven't seen it yet...
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub
      i went to sos for 9 years, k-8...mr. scafuri was my 5th grade teacher
      When did you graduate high school?

Also, I remember one year going to Camp Mokuleia for a weekend, and that led to me going two weeks that following summer. Great memories.

I dreamed of coming back to visit and sending my kids to Camp Mokuleia while I was in the hotel with my wife. But, alas, they just closed down the camp.

Comment

I didn't go there (I went to another Catholic 'feeder' school), but one of my most beloved HS teachers taught at the HS before it closed. Here's to you, Mrs. Nancy Rocheleau! You made Chemistry fun!
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Drumorgan,
          I don't know how long it's been since you've been back on Oahu, but the Star of the Sea campus is now DWARFED by the new Kahala Nui retirement home complex.

For the most part, all you can see of the campus from H1 freeway is the church to the right. I can imagine how upset some of the residents behind the campus (as well as the school faculty themselves) must have been when their view became obstructed.

Kahala Nui senior residents pay $350,000-750,000 (non-refundable) PLUS $1700-$3,800 monthly maintenance fee.

More info
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
            Drumorgan,
            I don't know how long it's been since you've been back on Oahu, but the Star of the Sea campus is now DWARFED by the new Kahala Nui retirement home complex.

Kahala Nui senior residents pay $350,000-750,000 (non-refundable) PLUS $1700-$3,800 monthly maintenance fee.

More info
            Well, it's not like they can't afford it!

My family is good friends with one of Kahala Nui's residents so I've had the opportunity to visit there and use their many facilities. The inside is just beautiful and their catering's pretty good!
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I did see that thing. The neighborhood sure has changed. I almost couldn't find the school. I guess getting older makes things smaller too.

I remember coming from Waialae Gardens over the top of Wilson Elementary, into the canal, and follow it down to pop up at the makai side just in time to get to school in the morning.

Everyone talks about how Kahala prices have skyrocketed. I keep seeing the townhomes (granted, not the big estates by the beach) that I used to live in in the 400's. That is actually pretty affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by drumorgan
                [...]Everyone talks about how Kahala prices have skyrocketed. I keep seeing the townhomes (granted, not the big estates by the beach) that I used to live in in the 400's. That is actually pretty affordable.
                Mauka of Waialae Ave. has always been more affordable (whatever that means anymore!!!) than makai. And, makai of Kilauea Ave....Yikes!

Comment

Working...
                X