After the Bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After the Bones

Speaking of overthrows, I've just read a new novel called "After the Bones," about a fictional overthrow attempt in 1866. It's great. The novel is a tale of historical intrigue, conspiracy, murder, mysticism and deception centered around a plot to overthrow the Hawaiian monarchy of Kamehameha the Fifth and follows the chronology of Mark Twain's visit to the islands during that year. The writing is lyrical and evocative.

In AFTER THE BONES, two actors, Mac Ducain and Delaware Flinn, both wrongly implicated in the Lincoln assassination, flee to Hawai`i, hoping to hide in that "foreign kingdom." Instead, they find themselves drawn ever deeper into political conspiracies—manipulated by a master British assassin—as they try to evade American authorities. Influencing the course of events is mana, the mystical strength emanating from the bones of the first King Kamehameha.

AFTER THE BONES presents a balanced blend of action, romance, intrigue and the supernatural while probing the human struggle to overcome doubt and distrust and take the proverbial great leap of faith. It also is an homage to a Hawaiian culture struggling for survival then as now. You can read some of it at www.lulu.com/MarkOsmun

Re: Any good books?

I've just read a new novel called "After the Bones," about a fictional overthrow attempt in 1866. It's great. The novel is a tale of historical intrigue, conspiracy, murder, mysticism and deception centered around a plot to overthrow the Hawaiian monarchy of Kamehameha the Fifth and follows the chronology of Mark Twain's visit to the islands during that year. The writing is lyrical and evocative.

In AFTER THE BONES, two actors, Mac Ducain and Delaware Flinn, both wrongly implicated in the Lincoln assassination, flee to Hawai`i, hoping to hide in that "foreign kingdom." Instead, they find themselves drawn ever deeper into political conspiracies—manipulated by a master British assassin—as they try to evade American authorities. Influencing the course of events is mana, the mystical strength emanating from the bones of the first King Kamehameha.

AFTER THE BONES presents a balanced blend of action, romance, intrigue and the supernatural while probing the human struggle to overcome doubt and distrust and take the proverbial great leap of faith. It also is an homage to a Hawaiian culture struggling for survival then as now. You can read some of it at www.lulu.com/MarkOsmun

Comment

Re: stacks of books piled by your bedside

I've just read a new novel called "After the Bones," about a fictional overthrow attempt in 1866. It's great. The novel is a tale of historical intrigue, conspiracy, murder, mysticism and deception centered around a plot to overthrow the Hawaiian monarchy of Kamehameha the Fifth and follows the chronology of Mark Twain's visit to the islands during that year. The writing is lyrical and evocative.

Comment

Re: Overthrows

By any chance, are you the same "Karla" referred to in Mark's bio:
        "In 2004, Mark and his wife, Karla returned to Honolulu..."?

If so, you should reveal that in your posting, so we can tell the difference between spam advertising and an honest review. If not, of course, that's good to know, too - and we appreciate the clarification.

Comment

fascinating. The best piece of fiction I have ever read on the subject of Hawaiian history (in this case, spirituality) was "Children of the Rainbow" by Leinani Melville.

pax

Comment

Re: Any good books?

Originally posted by Karla Peterson

SpamSpamSpamSpamSpamSpamSpamSpamSpamSpamSpamSpam.. .same posting in three different threads - as I asked elsewhere, Karla - are you Mark Osmun's wife?

Comment

Originally posted by Karla Peterson

Same posting, three threads - spam or just poor netiquette? You judge (especially if it turns out Karla is the author's wife - still waiting on the answer to that question.)

Comment

ya know, LL, just reading the Good Missus' review, I admit to being intrigued. Nothing worse than reading fiction written by someone who didn't do their homework....mana from Kamehameha I's bones indeed.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                  ya know, LL, just reading the Good Missus' review, I admit to being intrigued. Nothing worse than reading fiction written by someone who didn't do their homework....mana from Kamehameha I's bones indeed.
                  Heh. It appears the author himself did live in Hawai`i years ago - he did some sports writing for the Advertiser in the late 1970s.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    Heh. It appears the author himself did live in Hawai`i years ago - he did some sports writing for the Advertiser in the late 1970s.

you might agree that it is quite a stretch to apply one's sports writing background to generating historical fiction. Even back in the late 70's.

My Spidey Senses™ tell me not to expect much.

pax

Comment

Working...
                    X