Potluck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potluck

If you get invited to a potluck, what dish do you bring? Do you have any signature dishes that you always take and that if someone saw, they would know you were there?

I used to bring a mushroom risotto or pesto pasta but now I don't really have a particular dish I bring.

Re: Potluck

If it's a Hawaiian community event, we often bring an assortment of things, like smoked-salmon poke (combines Hawai`i and PacNW themes) and a mix of home-made regular and chocolate haupia.

Comment

If the attendees are lucky, they might enjoy my wife's salsa, or lasagna, or some other lovingly prepared dish that she's mulled over for much of the week prior.

If the attendees aren't lucky, they'll get Zippy's chili and some rice or a bucket of KFC, lovingly prepared by me "over a hot cash register."

Comment

Ahh, potlucks. I remember being in college and whenever my sorority sisters and I used to get together for potlucks, it usually meant 10 girls bringing 7 layer bean dip and chips.

I don't go to potlucks too often outside of football season, but for tailgates I usually make my Korean Fried Chicken for the entree and banana lumpia for dessert. Both are easy to prepare and cook within a short period of time.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
          10 girls bringing 7 layer bean dip and chips.
          Now there's a fantasy date of mine come to life.

Oops. Did I say that out loud?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I usually buy stuff for a potluck since my cooking skills is not the best in the world. And it varies from bringing the paper goods, to manapua or drinks.

Comment

Kalbi is always a winner. Bring your own hibachi bumbai missing parts and somebody come late with da odda grill.

I also bring other food to fit the occassion. Lumpia, Poki, Salad and Chips. On our last HT Picnic someone brought bread and fabulous cheese. Palama Kid brought his own version of Coco Puffs from Liliha Bakery. AbsolutChaos brought Spinach Salad which my 15month grandson went crazy for.

Living in Hawai'i gives the opportunity to bring anything. The list is endless. Everyone enjoys FOOD! Especially, at Potlucks! Conversation, good fun and Food always makes a memorable time for everyone to enjoy.

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Don't bring Zippy's chili, Pizza Hut pizza, or KFC because five others will undoubtedly bring them already.

If you cannot cook it yourself, try buying a catering tray sized order of Chicken Katsu from L&L Drive in (runs about $21), or a sushi platter from Safeway.

My wife's favorite is either the Pan lau lau or her chicken (Erika can vouch for her recipe as one to die for).
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                  Kalbi is always a winner. Bring your own hibachi bumbai missing parts and somebody come late with da odda grill.

I also bring other food to fit the occassion. Lumpia, Poki, Salad and Chips. On our last HT Picnic someone brought bread and fabulous cheese. Palama Kid brought his own version of Coco Puffs from Liliha Bakery. AbsolutChaos brought Spinach Salad which my 15month grandson went crazy for.

Living in Hawai'i gives the opportunity to bring anything. The list is endless. Everyone enjoys FOOD! Especially, at Potlucks! Conversation, good fun and Food always makes a memorable time for everyone to enjoy.

Auntie Lynn
                  hahahaha auntie....was still killahs.... (I probably would have ate em raw)

What was the name of the place you when p/u the meat from?

Yo PZ... why you never tell me your wife make one lasagna!!! Now I feel shame about my attempt at a spaghetti bake.... next time... your wife make the spaghetti...and I bring the zippy's chilli!

Comment

I have to admit, one of the reasons I don't always cook for potlucks is that there are pretty good quality ready made stuff from Costco or Sam's these days.

Comment

My wife and I just attended a Geocaching event at Bellows Beach. She hard-boiled a dozen eggs, cut in half and removed the yolks, added curry powder and a few things, then re-stuffed them. What a hit! What a Great Day!
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                        My wife and I just attended a Geocaching event at Bellows Beach. She hard-boiled a dozen eggs, cut in half and removed the yolks, added curry powder and a few things, then re-stuffed them. What a hit! What a Great Day!
                        Hmmm..curry powder, huh? I love deviled eggs...especially with pickle and horseradish. I should try curry powder sometime!
                        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                        We're not here to mess around
                        Boston, you know we love you madly
                        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                        You know we couldn't live without you
                        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
                          I should try curry powder sometime!
                          Yeah they were really good!
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

When we have local potlucks up here, I usually bring home made manapuas and dream cake.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Potlucks always seem to happen w/in 1/2 hr of getting off work. Here is what I do: call a Chinese resturant and order a pupu platter which usually runs $20ish bucks, or Italian, order a pan of ceasar salad or Thai and get pad thai noodles. These also run under $30 usually, and are guarranteed to be wiped out by the masses.

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X